Thread: Wegan to Blue Chip

Default Wegan to Blue Chip

Hi folks,
    I've been using Wegan M150 picks for years. Great feel, tone, durability, and the perfect shape and bevel for my playing. I love most everything about them EXCEPT that they can slip around a bit. Tried the ones with holes in them and the holes bother me.

I've tried a couple of Blue Chips, and I really like the feel and tone. Plus those things don't slip! Now I need to find the one that is the closest to the Wegan shape. Maybe the SR60? Anyone who has gone from M150s to Blue Chips, will appreciate your feedback.

Rich

Default Re: Wegan to Blue Chip

I scratch a crosshatch pattern with a razor blade or Xacto knife into my Wegens.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Before you go for a Blue Chip pick,try one or two of the Dunlop 'Primetone' picks. They come in 3 different thicknesses,& in a few different shapes. Some folk on here prefer them to the BC picks. I used to use the Wegen picks,but compared to the Primetones,for me,they sound very soft & laid back,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Primetone 2.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	170601Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Primetone 1.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	170602Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Primetone triangle.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	170603Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Primetone 'molded grip'.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	170604
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

4. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

CHASAX 

Howdy Rich,
    Like you,Wegens have been my choice for a long time. Never understood why BC doesn't make the same shape.
    If they ever do I will get at least one.

I have three BC picks;but,always grab a white 2.0mm Wegen for most mandolin playing on F-style. Have tried all thicknesses. I will go thinner(Wegen) on an oval-hole mando but thicker picks are easier for me to tremolo.

Ordering Wegen picks directly from Michel I asked for the surface to be unpolished on some. Whatever amount of edge bevel,thickness,or surface finish/holes you want is readily available from him. I have talked with Michel
    a few times and always feel inspired for doing so.
    Last edited by V70416; Aug-30-2018 at 11:53am.

Hey Rich,

I was a Wegen guy for years. For some reason, I tried the Dunlop Primetone picks a few years ago and I am hooked!
    Give 'em a try - you might like them and won't cry if you lose one...
    So + 1 on Ivan's recommendation.

Kirk

I have two blue chips. The funny thing is, I couldn’t get them to make my new 2 point sound good. I looked in my old pic collection and pulled out a thin flexible 25 cent pic and it sounded great! Now I have to buy a new f style to match my Blue Chips!
    Peter Kaufman violin
    Old Wave two point

The Blue Chip TPR shape seems closest to the Wegens to me. I was a devoted Wegen guy until I bought my first BC. I switched and have TPR 60s on all of my main instruments. The shape, of both, is like the Golden Gate and Dawg picks, so I keep those in my car and backpack for when I'm out somewhere - the shape feels the same.