Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you install a pickup on your expensive ($3k+) mando?

Default Would you install a pickup on your expensive ($3k+) mando?

I am installing a pickup in my other Eastman (MD305), just because I can, and after shopping F9's (but not buying yet), it occurred to me I would worry about installing a pickup in one of those. But I am a worship musician, so a pickup is pretty much required, not to mention it allows me to taylor my sound through a pedal chain.

But the thought of drilling into a $5k+ instrument makes me queasy, I'm not sure I could bring myself to do that, but stick-on pickups like the one from Schertler could work nicely.

Not to mention that pickups like all technology go obsolete pretty fast, great mandos on the other hand improve with time.

My Eastmans on the other hand, while nice, are disposable IMHO (at 1/10th the cost), so I can drill away with no worries, and epoxy something to the soundboard and not lose any sleep.

Curious how others have dealt with this.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Default Re: Would you install a pickup on your expensive ($3k+) mando?

Quote Originally Posted by kurth83 View Post
    Not to mention that pickups like all technology go obsolete pretty fast, great mandos on the other hand improve with time.
    I don't have an opinion on your quandary, but I feel obligated to point out that pickup technology hasn't changed a whole lot in the last century or so. That may not be the case with piezo systems as much, but those don't require drilling! "Obsolete" is a very strong word in this case.
    Last edited by thecelloronin; Aug-29-2018 at 5:04pm.

Blog Entries

But the thought of drilling into a $5k+ instrument makes me queasy
    Less drilling, less queasy maybe.

I'll use one on my new mandolin if I decide to install an internal pickup.

If you’re planning to tailor your sound with a set of effects pedals then the better sound of a $3000 rapidly becomes moot.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OneChordTrick For This Useful Post:

If it is a working instrument and you need a pickup, put it in. Instead of drilling a 1/2" jack in the block, use a tapastring jack. It will go into the existing endpin hole, unless yours is with a screw. Usually at that price it will be a traditional endpin or strap button. You need a special cord, but that is no problem. I have used these in vintage and expensive instruments that I don't want to drill. I am not affiliated with tapastring, just like their product. These days pickups have come a long ways in sound and placement, and along with preamps, the sound is night and day different from the old days, didn't even have preamps then.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I used the tapastring jack in one of my mandolins that I didn't want to drill out. It is great, however you need to make sure you've got a 1/8" to 1/4" cable with you when you need it. I used the jack that came with it to make a cable that I store in the mandolin case. I made a 2nd cable that I keep in my pedal bag, just in case. You could also just get a 1/8" male to 1/4" female adapter.

Blog Entries

I prefer a good dynamic mic on a stand and that's what I use with both of the bands that I play in. I do the same with my banjo and Dobro. One mic works fine for all three instruments.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Yes, no hesitation.

I put a K&K in my Phoenix Bluegrass, and I've had a Fishman bridge pickup (with endpin jack) in my 23 Snakehead for years. As to the obsolete question, I had that Fishman on the Snakehead for maybe 18 years. I just had it replaced with a K&K, mostly so I could put the old bridge top back on -- but the old pickup was still working fine. I did have someone do the install work as I'm not much of a woodworker, but it wasn't a big deal.

I love my mandos, but these are working instruments for me and the pickups are necessary. Heck, the Ranger travel mando I just picked up for camping even has a pickup in it, just in case.
    Andrew Frink
    Phoenix Bluegrass, '23 Gibson A Snakehead, Clark octave coming soon

Piezo pickups are not obsolete. They improve in quality but they're a large part of the pickup market.

I had Eddie Blevins put a K&K twin in the octave mandolin he recently built for me. Never thought twice about it and it meets your monetary standard. One of my Breedloves has a K&K, the other has a Schertler. I use an L.R. Baggs on (not in) my Gibson. All are piezo. I move around a lot on stage and a pickup is mandatory.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Blog Entries

I am installing a pickup in my other Eastman (MD305), just because I can, and after shopping F9's (but not buying yet), it occurred to me I would worry about installing a pickup in one of those. But I am a worship musician, so a pickup is pretty much required, not to mention it allows me to taylor my sound through a pedal chain.

But the thought of drilling into a $5k+ instrument makes me queasy, I'm not sure I could bring myself to do that, but stick-on pickups like the one from Schertler could work nicely.

My Eastmans on the other hand, while nice, are disposable IMHO (at 1/10th the cost), so I can drill away with no worries, and epoxy something to the soundboard and not lose any sleep.

Curious how others have dealt with this.
    I would handle it one of two ways: mount externally using a carpenter jack, or just drill the darn thing. If you ever want to sell it, it may very well be a benefit to the buyer. OR, a good plug repair would be invisible under the tailpiece anyway. You wouldn’t have to worry about sticking anything to the soundboard and marring the finish either.

My K&K twin fusion is indespensable. And when I complete my homemade mandolin (assuming it’s playable) I will be drilling for either the K&K or a similar JJB pickup.

I have an Eastman, btw, and it sounds great through the pickup. I think we’re looking at like a 10-15 year generation in pickup tech.

I put a K&K on all of my mandolins. It's a necessary addition for me, so I don't worry about it. I had them professionally installed, but the only real modification is a slight enlargement of the end pin hole. Drew is right, it would be a simple and invisible repair if you ever wanted to remove it. It's not like you're drilling a holes in the top and installing volume knobs.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

I went through this dilemma with my F model. I was on the fence about drilling it out. I was going to go the whole miniature end pin jack thing and I decided that the 1/4 inch jack would be more secure. Also, knowing that I would be plugging in quite often it just made sense for me. I ended up using a K&K twin pickup with a radial preamp. I wasnt completely satisfied with it tonally but after adding an Audio Technica clip on mic in addition to the pickup and I find I'm more satisfied with my plugged in sound than I have ever been before with a mandolin.
    Stiver F5 #366
    Kopp K-35 Braz
    Huss & Dalton TD-M Custom
    1935 Martin 00-17
    HD-28E Retro

bass player gone mando

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Bob View Post
    I put a K&K on all of my mandolins. It's a necessary addition for me, so I don't worry about it. I had them professionally installed, but the only real modification is a slight enlargement of the end pin hole. Drew is right, it would be a simple and invisible repair if you ever wanted to remove it. It's not like you're drilling a holes in the top and installing volume knobs.
    This. I put a K&K on all of my mandolins too (or I'm in the process, for example with my octave). It's a necessary addition for me as well. Gigging, at least for me, is not five people arrayed around one mic, stepping in and out. There are complicated auditory conditions in the venues I play at, sometimes you're going straight to the PA, etc. A good preamp is also a necessity IMO. My favorite all-around preamp for acoustic instruments is the Radial PZ-Pre, but there are other great ones. If you don't have a good pickup and a good preamp, you are very much at the mercy of the elements at gigs. If you have both, you can control your sound.
    Collings MT O
    Collings MF5 0
    Weber Gallatin Mandola
    Weber Bitterroot Mandola
    Weber Sage Octave

Blog Entries

I have a Tapastring Vintage jack in my Ellis (AKG C411 condenser transducer internally fitted). Could take it out without any damage at all. No alterations needed. These are really solid and work well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Switchcraftjack_1.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	170600

I hardly ever use it, though.... but useful to have just in case...
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Yes I'm from the each instrument mic school, and one condenser for vocals, Its just easy to get to work the mic with your lead break when ya want to really dig in and get out, also for back up over vocals, fills etc..I find it easy to control the volume output by working the mic, It may be easier with a built in mic for my mandolin but never tried?
    Our bass player plugs in through the PA?

18. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

I'm actually favoring the Schertler resocoil over the K&K. The K&K is a dual piezo. The resocoil is a soundboard microphone.

I actually have both, the K&K is in one of my guitars, and the resocoil came standard on my MD605, although sadly (to me), Eastman recently switched to the K&K.

The K&K has a piezo sound to my ears (not good), albeit pretty good for a piezo.
    The Schertler by comparison gives a fantastic pure tone (albeit with some of the highs rolled off).

I was able to fix the Schertler easily with a tad of EQ to bump the highs (although you could play without it if you like a warm dark sound). The important part is the sound is very pure, a little EQ and it sounds great, just like the original.

You can't completely 'fix' a piezo from the sound board, I know, I've tried many times. Although those of you with K&K's and some EQ, I'm curious what you did to help the sound, I know I usually go to around 800 hz and cut, but that isn't a one-size-fits-all solution.

Those of you with pickups in the higher end instruments, do you think the high-end-ness of the instrument comes through the pickup, at least enough of it to be worth it (over say my Eastmans)?
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

21. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

No.

Well I pretty much always do, but if you are planning on only playing in front of mics and you know or have someone that can optimize that sound for you, I would go that route.
    If you will be playing in a band or solo in bars noisy events, then DI is really the way to go.

Its just simpler and easier and does not eat up a lot of time balancing the sound of a mic.
    If you show up to a jam or a show and get invited to play it might be handy to have a DI, however i have seen occasions where only a mic is available so it didn't really matter.

That being said anytime we play a room with just a condenser mic the sound is incomparable.
    Even though the guitar and bass were DI cause the fiddle just overwhelms them, the mando seemed to hold up pretty good against the fiddle on a mic.

I will say ALL of my instruments sound better through a mic than through the installed pickup. Without any kind of preamp (ll baggs is good) and tone adjustment it can be reminiscent of a tinny electric guitar. The Rigel probably sounds the best amplified.

I don't consider my Eastman (MD 615) to be disposable!
    "All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain

Eastman MD615SB
    Martin D35
    Gibson SG

Yes. I have installed JJB pickups on just about all my instruments, except for my grandfather's 1880's German trade fiddle. I've ordered a couple custom instruments (over $3 k) with these pickups installed by the builder. I use the RedEye Fire-eye preamp.

Those of you with pickups in the higher end instruments, do you think the high-end-ness of the instrument comes through the pickup, at least enough of it to be worth it (over say my Eastmans)?
    Yes, my main mandolin is a Brentrup, it sounds very nice. I have a K&K inside, tho mounted differently, and a RedEye like Bart. I hear the sound of my mandolin plugged in and have several times had people come up to me at gigs and ask what I am playing as it sounds so good. I need very little EQ, if any at all depending on the system and room. One thing I like about a pickup is I can play easier than with a mic and that is necessary for arthritic hands and wrists. I have also learned thru the years that a piezo will sound very nice at low volumes and get more pickup sounding as it gets louder. I think part of the good sound I am getting is:

1. the installation
    2. the preamp
    3. the fact we don't play real loud so I don't have to push the pickup. Usually I have to turn the mandolin way down in the channel to balance with the rest.

This gives me a good sound, easier on my hands, not tied to a mic, lead boost with the pre. Tapastring jack so no drilling the mandolin.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Didnt want to drill myt brentrup, fern, or ellis.
    Went schertler, pleased to say the least.

Read about schertler. Pros and cons. But, removable.

K and k, piezos, do better with tonedexter or di.

My advice for this used to be to keep one of the Eastmans to use when you need to plug in and leave your nicer mandolin as is, but ever since I've gotten my Skip Kelley A model, I play it almost exclusively. I'll still play the 1N if I'm in an oval hole mood or the RM-I if needed, but I haven't actually played my Eastman in a while. I've brought it to my office and will probably pick on it some during lunch.

So, yes, install or have the pickup of your choice installed on the nice one, because that's the one you're going to want to play in church...
    Chuck

I will not put a pickup in my Randy Wood.

30. The following members say thank you to Denny Gies for this post: