Thread: Fixing a faulty Cedar Creek case?

Default Fixing a faulty Cedar Creek case?

Hello all,

I've got an issue with a new custom Cedar Creek case, and I wanted to tap this forum for some options. Here's the skinny:

My case has a hygrometer built in beneath the headstock. Unfortunately, the block it's built into seems to be about 1/4"-1/2" too tall. This leads the headstock to actually make contact with the hygrometer, making an audible "click" when I let the mandocello down in the case.

I don't really care about the click so much as I care about how the neck is braced, or not braced, in this case. With the headstock resting on a hard surface, the rest of the neck isn't making full contact with the saddles. I'm afraid that a good jolt would transfer its energy right into the headstock, causing a stress fracture to occur.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3214.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	634.5 KB 
ID:	170595

Of course, the first thing I did was email Cedar Creek. However, my opinion of this company is somewhat low, given they took 2+ months longer to produce this case in the first place, all while mostly blowing off my luthier's phone calls. Other reviews on the internet seem to be congruent with this experience.

So, barring a miracle of customer support, I'm going to have to take matters into my own hands. It looks to me like that block that holds the hygrometer is held in by some kind of glue, and could theoretically be removed, shortened, then reinstalled into the case.

Does anyone have experience building or altering cases, who might be able to give me some hints, tips, and tricks for doing this the right way? Is there a way to minimize damage to the case? Will the upholstery still be able to look good afterward? What type of glue works? Is there some other factor I need to consider?

I appreciate any help you might be able to share. The mandocello is going to stay in the house until I sort out its case.

Edit: Moderators, if this topic would be better placed in Builders & Repair, please feel free to move it as you see fit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 17.24.08.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	403.5 KB 
ID:	170596  
    Last edited by thecelloronin; Aug-29-2018 at 4:57pm.

Default Re: Fixing a faulty Cedar Creek case?

I would not be comfortable with that setup either, especially if I routinely carried the mandocello around in the case. I think your're right, all it would take is one good blow to potentially cause some damage.

Hard to see from the pictures, but I think you're on the right track about removing the block. It would help to know if it was just glued in place, or if there were nails holding it as well. Once removed, it should only take a few moments to adjust, the trick is of course to remove it with minimal damage to the rest of the case. The other option would be to build the neck rest up enough to where it no longer hits the hygrometer, or even have the end of the headstock sit on a piece of foam to lift it up a bit. You'd need enough clearance for the second option, but from the video, it appears you do.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

IMHO - That's the most ridiculous place to fit a Hygrometer to a case !. Personally,i'd send it back to the manufacturers & get them to modify it,or,get my cash back. If that's supposed to be a ''Custom built'' case,to who's specification was it built ? - obviously not yours !!!.

A 'custom build' case that the customer then needs to modify to protect the mandolin ?? - i'll pass !. Get the manufacturers to give you what you expected - not a DIY project,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Bob View Post
    The other option would be to build the neck rest up enough to where it no longer hits the hygrometer...
    Yeah, I've thought about just adding some padding to the saddles. If I can get it right, that is probably the easiest solution. Maybe a rag or towel? I'm just on the threshold of having enough clearance, or at least I think so...

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    A 'custom build' case that the customer then needs to modify to protect the mandolin ?? - i'll pass !. Get the manufacturers to give you what you expected - not a DIY project,
    Ivan
    You're not wrong. However, I think I might have the same luck convincing Congress to outlaw lobbying... Maybe I'll try the old fashioned way, and pick up the phone rather than rely on email.

In the meantime, my DIY ear is still to the ground.

1. I'd see if the hygrometer mounting block comes out easily. I had to modify the hardshell case for my Dobro from round-neck to square-neck, and the neck support came out without trouble; I sawed off a bit from the bottom, then reinstalled it with two screws into it from outside the case, and some glue.

2. Be careful not to expand too far on your (so far unsatisfactory) interaction with Cedar Creek. Cafe guidelines frown on public discussion of individual business issues. Unless it can be established to the entire satisfaction of the site management, that a particular seller or maker is unreliable, shady, or misrepresenting themselves, such posts get deleted, and threads closed.

Just a word...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

From the OP - " Maybe I'll try the old fashioned way, and pick up the phone rather than rely on email. ". Totally 100% correct !.
    Speaking to somebody in person is always a good idea. You can explain the problem fully & ask for a suggestion to put it right. Cedar Creek are a respected brand,& i can't help but think that if they can sort it out,they will - however,heed Allen's words,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

7. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    1. I'd see if the hygrometer mounting block comes out easily. I had to modify the hardshell case for my Dobro from round-neck to square-neck, and the neck support came out without trouble; I sawed off a bit from the bottom, then reinstalled it with two screws into it from outside the case, and some glue.

2. Be careful not to expand too far on your (so far unsatisfactory) interaction with Cedar Creek. Cafe guidelines frown on public discussion of individual business issues. Unless it can be established to the entire satisfaction of the site management, that a particular seller or maker is unreliable, shady, or misrepresenting themselves, such posts get deleted, and threads closed.

Just a word...
    I appreciate this post on both counts. Suffice it to say, at this point the best way forward is indeed to pull the mounting block out and shorten it. I actually managed to pull the hygrometer itself out, though the core problem persists, with the headstock now laying on the block.

The block itself seems to be a type of polystyrene. My only hesitation at this point is to use force in extracting it from the case, as I don't know how much collateral damage the bonding agent is likely to do to the surrounding case. The angle isn't quite right to use a putty knife, either.

Probably going to have to take a trip to the local hardware store's brainstorming section.

9. The following members say thank you to thecelloronin for this post:

Dave Sheets

A phone call to Cedar Creek asking how that block is held in place might get you a quick answer.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

11. The following members say thank you to Dave Sheets for this post:

Well... I don't mean to malign anyone in defiance of the forum rules, but my phone calls have gone unanswered thus far. I did, however, join a Facebook group of vintage case enthusiasts, who generally believe it to be held in by some sort of hot glue or (hopefully not) epoxy.
    Pomeroy #244 Custom Mandocello - "Liuto Americano"
    NS Design CR6 Electric Cello

If you called today or maybe even yesterday afternoon, they may have been gone because of the long weekend. I wouldn't give up on the phone method yet.

I have a Cedar Creek case custom-made for my Blevins octave mandolin. Except for the fact that it's quite heavy, I have had no problems. It appears to be well-made. I did not order the hygrometer for mine, however.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

From thecelloronin - " I actually managed to pull the hygrometer itself out,...". Well,that's any guarantee out of the window !.

Personally,i'd have worked out exactly what was required to make the case 'good', & persisted with the phone calls to see what CC had to offer. They might still offer to correct the problem,but if you've voided any guarantee,they're under no obligation to touch it. If that is the situation,then hopefully you can put it right yourself,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

The voice from across the pond is right. If you had to use the case then, of course, you had to make certain changes to prevent damage to the instrument and, for that reason, CC might acquiesce to making modifications. I have to assume the dimensions CC used were correct.

When I ordered mine, I specified external and internal color, latches, type of interior, type of handle, color of hardware, what to put on the personalized tag, etc. (I did not order a hygrometer.) I did not specify any dimensions. Rather, Eddie Blevins, who built my octave mandolin, gave them the exact dimensions. I had the case shipped to Eddie who filled it up to capacity with a fantastic octave mandolin and shipped it to me. I have to admit it's quite heavy but I also feel it offers a great deal of protection

When I initially talked with Eddie about the octave, we both ultimately agreed that the market for quality cases for the instrument was extremely limited and that the only logical choice was CC.

Warranty notwithstanding, if it doesn't properly fit the instrument, corrections should be made. After this long weekend, try to call them again.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

16. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    From thecelloronin - " I actually managed to pull the hygrometer itself out,...". Well,that's any guarantee out of the window !.

Personally,i'd have worked out exactly what was required to make the case 'good', & persisted with the phone calls to see what CC had to offer. They might still offer to correct the problem,but if you've voided any guarantee,they're under no obligation to touch it. If that is the situation,then hopefully you can put it right yourself,
    Ivan
    Hi Ivan,

Actually, it didn't require much brute strength at all–looks like it was meant to come out owing to the plastic snaps holding it in. I highly doubt that'd void the warranty, though I will also say no warranty was given to me.

Name:	IMG_3253.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	687.7 KB 
ID:	170705

That said, you're definitely not wrong. Given my experience with this company over the past months, however, I have reason to believe I will be better served trying to sort things out on my own (while sourcing more informed opinions online, of course!)

Now, what WILL void any possible warranty is the fact that I went ahead and cut the hygrometer mounting block out of the case. Looks like it's just made of four laminated layers of polystyrene. I removed two layers totaling about an inch in height, trimmed the excess velvet off, then hot-glued it back in.

Name:	IMG_3243.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	879.4 KB 
ID:	170703

The headstock now has plenty of clearance!

Name:	IMG_3252-1.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	549.6 KB 
ID:	170704

However, the neck still doesn't fit snugly in its saddles. In fact, the saddle closest to mandocello body seems to act as a fulcrum, with the instrument sort of see-sawing on its neck.

When I investigated why, it appears that the "hill" of padding on the rear panel of the case meant to cradle the arch of the 'cello's back isn't tall enough to actually make contact. What's more, there's no corresponding padding to conform to the arch near the tailpiece. In other words, there is one single solid point of contact between the case and the instrument right above the neck joint.

Anyone have any experience modifying case padding? That "hill" feels like it could be down or else some kind of cottony substance.

Otherwise, I might just get a nice, soft cloth of some volume and lay it in underneath the instrument to fill in these gaps and lower the "seesaw".

It looks as though it's a DIY show all the way then !. I can understand now,why Calton UK had a diagram for prospective case buyers to fill in the dimensions of their instrument.
    I'd simply use some form of loose padding to try it in various places within the case, to see just 'what' needs to go 'where' to properly support the mandolin,& then make some form of permanent supports to go in those places. Probably fiddly more than difficult. You could simply use small Polystyrene 'chips / granules' in cotton bags. They're very shock absorbent, easily moulded to fit 'wherever', & cheap,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

19. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Great idea with the DIY "beanbags"! It occurred to me that it might be possible to negotiate some more permanent solution with an upholsterer down the line. One step at a time...

If you get an upholsterer to fix it (good idea !),make sure that he uses an adhesive that won't 'gas out' & affect the mandolin's finish.
    A water based adhesive should be fine,or some form of animal glue,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

22. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Brilliant suggestion. Thanks Ivan!