Thread: Faux Resonator Regal made Artistic

Default Faux Resonator Regal made Artistic

We had that Blue Comet non-resonator mandolin posted recently. This is the genuine faux resonator mandolin model but sold under the Artisitic label. It comes with its original soft case and appears to be okay but it has replacement tuners. I would imagine that those that search may find the horribly overpriced examples with the other brands and bid this up to a silly price- there was one Artistic on Reverb that will pop up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-ART...oAAOSwyUtbhd-R

Default Re: Faux Resonator Regal made Artistic

Here's another- mis-attributed to Harmony in the 1960s for a mere $695. Don't all rush at once!

It's a Leo Master branded example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Cir...IAAOSwafhbY4A6

I suppose I ought to add it to the "this will never sell at this price" thread!

Not quite sure why anyone would want one of these, other than their quirky off-brand status. They're heavy as all get-out, don't sound very good, and have limited market appeal. The one the OP links has required six bids to get up to $25.

The concept of paying $700 for one leads to peals of laughter.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I think $700 is just that seller's price for cheap off-brand mando's. They had one listed a while ago. I had picked up the same a few months earlier. Best $45 I've spent.

My mistake. The seller has that other (Marvel) one listed for $800.

These mandolins were not built by Regal. Most likely, they came from the United factory in Jersey City.
    www.OldFrets.com: the obscure side of vintage instruments.

Cool looking design from an era before everything became so "cookie-cutter!" Who cares how it sounds, wonderful wall-hanger, IMHO!

These mandolins were first made in the 1930s- before United came into existence. I think Mike Edgerton has established the Regal manufacture beyond any doubt elsewhere on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    These mandolins were first made in the 1930s- before United came into existence. I think Mike Edgerton has established the Regal manufacture beyond any doubt elsewhere on this site.
    I have not seen any that could reasonably be dated before WWII. These mandolins were made at least until the late '50s, years after Regal ceased to exist as a separate company and factory. It's possible that the design was first created by Oscar Schmidt, whose factory United inherited (along with some of the designs), but there is no evidence at all that they were built by Regal.

This Blue Comet may well have been made by United in the 1940s or 1950s- but it is not the same.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...any-background

This Leo Master mandolin has tuners that suggest 1930s- early 1940s at the latest. It is certainly not from the 1960s and I doubt if it was made by Harmony. Other Leo Master branded intruments appear to be from the 1930s but that does not mean they were not made later. However, this faux resonator mandolin looks to be from the 1930s judging by its tuners. From what I know of United mandolins, the tuner units were nailed- not screwed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202390558302

Here is a Leo Master guitar that is clearly early 1930s and it shares those numerous holes as seen on the faux resonator mandolin. It is suggested it is a Regal made guitar: http://www.vintageinstruments.com/mu...erfulpage.html
    Last edited by NickR; Aug-30-2018 at 4:13pm. Reason: Extra info

Leo Master instruments were distributed by Sorkin in the 1950s; they were not around in the '30s, though the late '40s are possible. By the late '50s Sorkin had transferred this particular mandolin to the Beltone brand, though the Leo Master name was still used on banjos (which were definitely built to an old Oscar Schmidt design).

United used a variety of tuners over the years, most of which came from Waverly and most of which was screwed in like any other tuner. Those particular tuners were made for several decades and aren't specifically indicative of the pre-War period.

I do agree that it's not a Harmony instrument, though, and I do agree that it's probably not from the '60s.

United made plenty of instruments for the Peter Sorkin Music Company- the Multivox electric guitars are an example. United screwed in the tuners on its more expensive guitars but the cheaper examples and the mandolins I have seen have them nailed in- along with the tailpiece on the guitars. I recently reposted a Mandolin Cafe thread to a photo that Paul Hostetter posted a long time ago showing a 1940s United mandolin with Kluson tuners that were nailed in. It was retailed by Elderly and I have seen their description of it. I do believe that guitar with its banjo tuners and the Leo Master name is 1930s. As I wrote, it shows the same holes in its body as do the resonator mandolins and was attributed to "possibly Regal" although that might be open to debate.

Again, the Leo Master brand did not exist in the 1930s. It first appears in post-War catalogs. Regal never built anything like these instruments. There is plenty of proof in both Regal and Sorkin catalogs.

That is quite a collection you have or had! I have no vested interest in proving that these faux resonators were made by Regal. I am certain, I read on this site that there was some proof but you state that is not the case.We see so much conflicting information it is good to try and be definitive but sometimes that is elusive- as with the maker of the Stradolin. Certainly to try and find the maker would be great. There is one of these faux resonators on Reverb- the seller has it as a 1934 MayBell. I do not know when the MayBell instruments or Slingerland for that matter stopped being sold- some time in the 1940s, I believe. I have not contacted the seller to ask how he knows it is 1934- that may be an "educated guess" but sellers tend to overestimate the age if they are unsure!

I have not contacted the seller to ask how he knows it is 1934- that may be an "educated guess" but sellers tend to overestimate the age if they are unsure!
    One of the vintage guitar dealers once told me that people "like" to have a year on their instruments, so when in doubt........make one up! And, technically, if you know the era, and other indicators (tuners, tailpieces, etc.) you are probably going to be within a few years, anyway, so........
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Aug-31-2018 at 9:42am.

Quote Originally Posted by nmiller View Post
    Regal never built anything like these instruments. There is plenty of proof in both Regal and Sorkin catalogs.
    Absence from their catalogues guarantees they they did not make a particular instrument?

That said, I don't see anything at all 'Regal' about these.

There is one of these faux resonators on Reverb- the seller has it as a 1934 MayBell. I do not know when the MayBell instruments or Slingerland for that matter stopped being sold- some time in the 1940s, I believe. I have not contacted the seller to ask how he knows it is 1934- that may be an "educated guess" but sellers tend to overestimate the age if they are unsure!
    I think Jeff is on the right track with this one. Slingerland guitars and mandolins from the '30s are generally not possible to pin down to a particular year, so the seller probably just chose one that sounded plausible. Slingerland probably stopped building string instruments around 1940, but that's just an estimate.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV View Post
    Absence from their catalogues guarantees they they did not make a particular instrument?
    No, the lack of similarity to anything they built indicates that they didn't build it. It's the same reason we can say this mandolin isn't a Gibson product - there's just no evidence of a connection. However, the fact that these were produced for a while after Regal ceased to exist is a pretty strong guarantee.

I agree that it looks nothing like my Regal made mandolins. However, I was prepared to accept this might have been some kind of "out there" model that did not follow the Regal norms. I do agree that the headstock shape is similar to the 1940s United example sold by Elderly. I have what I think is a mid-1930s Harmony made mandolin that has that shape of headstock. I have seen another very similar mandolin sold by the same retailer that has the Harmony label still attached on the back of the headstock- an all mahogany instrument but it has that chunkier headstock seen on Harmony mandolins.

I don't suppose it is of much interest but it fetched $157. I guess those that found others for sale reckoned it might be worth Big Bucks as these are advertised for silly money. It appears to be in good order, so as something a bit different then it might be worth what has been paid for it, if it is your idea of a classic vintage instrument! It's more of a classic marketing hype but it has its place in he wacky world of retail brands and ephemeral novelty instruments.

For $157 it could be a lot of fun, regardless of who made it. Even at that price, I don't think there is any money to be made on it.

I will say, to the person who has never seen one it has a fascinating look -- maybe it was purchased with the thought that it could open some new musical doors? Maybe, a whole new identity?

I can see the handbill now: Prof. Joseph P. Blough will perform musical renderings & stylings on his vintage Artistic faux resonator mandolin this Saturday night at the Peoria Women's Club at 7:30pm sharp. Well-behaved children always welcome. Dogs must be leashed.

Quote Originally Posted by nmiller View Post
    Again, the Leo Master brand did not exist in the 1930s. It first appears in post-War catalogs. Regal never built anything like these instruments. There is plenty of proof in both Regal and Sorkin catalogs.
    Hello Everyone! My name is Aimee Ellis, I am the Great-Granddaughter of Mr. Aaron Burdwise, proprietor of Burdwise Musical Merchandise company, which stopped operating circa 1930. I can tell you as the Burdwise Family historian that Mr. Aaron Burdwise was actually the original proprietor of Leo Master branded string instruments but the brand was sold around the time the company stopped operating.

I have proof he owned the brand as part of his larger company, Burdwise Musical Merchandise (we have paperwork from the time of his company noting it's a trademarked brand he owned, among numerous other brands). However, I have not published this proof online yet because I want to write an article and share it with a publication. If anyone wants to work with me on developing the article, I am not a player and would love your help! Below is an article I wrote on the company at large.

https://jcrc.org/news-events/blog/ce...t-grandfather/

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A.Ellis-Burdwise For This Useful Post: