Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The First Loar F-5 I Ever Played

Default The First Loar F-5 I Ever Played

The thread about the "Attic Find" Loar got me thinking about the first Loar F-5 I ever played. I recall that the first Loar I ever saw was at “We Buy” Guitars on West 48thStreet in NYC. My guess is it was the mid 70’s and at the time I was buying every tiple I could find. I would put them in different tuning and fingerpick them. I was also buying Les Paul Jr’s and 00-18 Martins.
    Larry the owner of “We Buy” told me I was wasting my money on them and that I should sell them all and buy this mandolin he had in the back. It was a Flowerpot headstock F-5, OHSC, Strings, Receipt & Period Gibson Paper Goods. I had never seen one before and really didn’t have any idea what the big deal was beyond it was fancy Gibson and seemed cool. He offered it to me for $3,000. He said I should buy it and never sell it and it would be the best investment I would ever make. He always gave me great prices and taught me a lot about instrument dealing. I started bringing him guitar and mandolins when I was about 15 and he seemed to enjoy my efforts to learn.
    I would tell my mom a bit of a lie and say I was going to New Haven to buy and sell instruments. I left out the part that I was getting on the train and going to Grand Central and walking to W48th St. I’ve played that day over in my head many times over the years and wonder how the course of my instrument dealing would have gone had I actually sold every instrument I had acquired to that point and paid the $3000 for it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brian Wolfe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: The First Loar F-5 I Ever Played

Yep going prices back then, but that was a bit of the green back then for most anyone! Yep should've bought her! Prices have gone up and down on them, a bit down now compared to 10 or so years ago but they are the epitome of KOOL! They are the originals everything else is mostly based on.

Hi Brian... what a tale! But here's the next part in that saga... a dear old friend named Adam Kreiswirth wound up acquiring what I believe is that very mandolin by trading a number of instruments for it. It was (if this is actually the same F5) a Feb.18th with a Virzi that was in mint condition (no, really!) and had one of the most beautiful tones of all the Loar F5s I've played. Well, I eventually bought that F5 from Adam for $26K and, after tweaking the bridge, action etc... came to find that this mandolin was a sleeping giant. I played it at gigs in Seattle for many years and eventually sold it back to Adam to acquire a different F5. This Loar now resides in Europe and "Loard", I wish I had never let it go.
    48th Street in NYC was still in its glory days back in the 70's... Manny's, Larry's We Buy, Eddie Bell's down the block and a number of other guitar and horn dealers. Alas, just like "The Street" (52nd St.) of great Jazz clubs 48th Street has forever changed... although I believe Rudy's is still there...

Dems wuz da dayz...

5. The following members say thank you to Glassweb for this post:

Cool story....Sad to say that Rudy's is gone, too, as is Matt Umanov's on Bleeker Street. Retrofret in Brooklyn is very much alive, however. Cheers.

Great story, Brian! Speaking only for myself, $3000 was an impossible sum of money for me to raise in the mid-70's. I'm sure my annual income was much less than that and I seemed to get along fine -- single, of course, $75 rent, $100 used car (Cadillac convertible, no less), tons of pawn shop and flea market Gibson and Fender guitars available for $250 or less, well, you get the idea -- what went wrong with the world, anyway??????

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    ...what I believe is that very mandolin ...It was ...a Feb.18th with a Virzi ...This Loar now resides in Europe ...
    ... in Amsterdam?
    Olaf

9. The following members say thank you to grassrootphilosopher for this post:

Yes, this is the same mandolin. I was lucky to hit W48th Street at a great time.

11. The following members say thank you to Brian Wolfe for this post:

Great stories... and bring back a flood of memories of Music Row in the later 70's..
    i worked at Eddie Bell's for a little while late 70's.., Learned the glamorous lifestyle of being a repairman's helper in a tiny dust covered unventilated loft w/ low ceilings in the the back of the shop..sanding out scratches and shooting lacquer w/ an airshaft window fan as the spray booth....i can almost smell it now..
    Remember turning the corner onto 48st for the first time back then ..seeing the whole city block of Music Row packed with every kind of instrument under the sun (mainly guitars) , all kinds of those long haired musician types spilling out of the stores...
    For a teenager off the bus from Jersey..kinda like seeing a dirtier version of Emerald city in The Wizard of Oz.....but w/ 1970's Times Square mixed in..
    i have a vague memory of seeing a Loar at WeBuyGuitars..but not clear on that..i do still have the Batwing i bought there.

Of course the real Mandolin Mecca at that time was MANDOLIN BROS. in Staten island...curated by Stan Jay. Not very impressive from the outside but was a cabinet of wonders inside..
    Walls covered with all kind of mandolins...mostly Gibsons ..walls of A's and F-4's etc....pretty mind blowing..
    Also had a couple of early Orville era blacktop 3-point "Artist" F's w/ Crescent Moon headstock's in display cases that i believed at the time were the Holy Gail itself...
    or more accurately...The Ark of the Covenant..?
    A couple decades later...played my first Loar F-5 there...took me that long to get the nerve to ask Stan...
    Quite a character Stan Jay...he is missed..

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandotool For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Wolfe View Post
    Yes, this is the same mandolin.
    Which would make it #75687. Interesting that the owner offered the Loar for sale a while ago, but decided to hang on to his post-Loar Fern.
    Sound clips here: http://n-a-g.info/index.php?option=c...=92&Itemid=185
    Last edited by Hendrik Ahrend; Aug-29-2018 at 1:14pm.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hendrik Ahrend For This Useful Post:

It was Steve Smith's in the mid 1980's when he lived in Charlottesville. Then a couple of years ago a fine sounding Fern w/Virzi that belongs to a gracious dealer of vintage stringed instruments in Richmond. i would like to play the first one again now that my ear has gotten a little bit of lower school education.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dan in va For This Useful Post:

48th street NYC and "We Buy" back in the day was the coolest place on the planet to be an old guitar nerd. After you went to all of those shops and then took the ferry to Mandolin Brothers, on a good day you could head over to Jimmy D'Aquisto's shop and top off a great afternoon!

The first Loar I tried was at Greg Boyd's about ten years ago ...it was approximately the same price as my house...it resold for double a few years later. I should have leveraged my house! It was one serial number of from Bill's.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Quote Originally Posted by grassrootphilosopher View Post
    ... in Amsterdam?
    as a matter of fact yes! that's the one...

21. The following members say thank you to Glassweb for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Eagle View Post
    Which would make it #75687. Interesting that the owner offered the Loar for sale a while ago, but decided to hang on to his post-Loar Fern.
    Sound clips here: http://n-a-g.info/index.php?option=c...=92&Itemid=185
    yes, that is definitely the mandolin Adam got from Larry at We Buy and I later acquired from Adam. What a tone on that thing... great playing! I'm not sure, but I don't think any images of this ever made it onto The F5 Journal/Archives.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glassweb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandotool View Post

Of course the real Mandolin Mecca at that time was MANDOLIN BROS. in Staten island...curated by Stan Jay. Not very impressive from the outside but was a cabinet of wonders inside..
    Walls covered with all kind of mandolins...mostly Gibsons ..walls of A's and F-4's etc....pretty mind blowing..
    Also had a couple of early Orville era blacktop 3-point "Artist" F's w/ Crescent Moon headstock's in display cases that i believed at the time were the Holy Gail itself...
    or more accurately...The Ark of the Covenant..?
    A couple decades later...played my first Loar F-5 there...took me that long to get the nerve to ask Stan...
    Quite a character Stan Jay...he is missed..
    Stan took pity on me one slow day in the store: "Hey, kid, wanna see somethin'?" He pulled out of the closet in the "expensive" room one of Wes Montgomery's 2 main L-5s. Didn't let me touch it, though..

I was at Byron Berline’s Shop in the late ‘90s to have some fret work done on my mandolin and he opened the vault and let me pick on his Loar. It was early in my mandolin playing days and I remember how the notes just popped out of it like a hammer hitting a railroad tie. A few years ago I took a lesson/jam session with Hershel Sizemore and he handed me his Loar to play for the session. At first I thought it was a pretty good mandolin but after spending a good hour or more with it I learned how to hit the notes and get more and more out of it. By quitting time I thought it was the most exquisite instrument imaginable. That was an unforgettable day for me. I have owned the best of the modern masterpieces but I believe there really is something that distinguishes a good Loar from all the others.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to goose 2 For This Useful Post:

As someone who has had 45 years of 'impulse buys' and literally hundreds of mandolins and acoustic guitars, I love stories about 'the one that got away' or similar stories such as how Ricky Skaggs got his Loar. I've had great fun buying and selling as a hobby with lots of money losses as well as a few gains. Always on the lookout for old Gibson F4s etc. A book of these stories would make a great read.

I've still to find that 'pot of gold' but you never know what is coming along.. Saw a very rare guitar the other day. The guy has a Martin Mike Longworth D45 in totally MINT condition but interestingly, he has number 45 of 91 made. Apparently Chris Martin said it should not have left the States. It's in Tee-side, UK.

When I had built a handful of mandolins back in the late '80s, early '90s, David McLaughlin played a couple of them and liked them so he stopped by the shop with his Loar. Not only did he go over the details of it (he was very familiar with the design details!) and let me play and examine it, he left it with me to study for a week or so! I will always be grateful for that graciousness.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I visited Gruhn Guitars on Saturday and was given the opportunity (I just asked) to meet George Gruhn and play 3 of the 7 Loar Signed F5's he had... very very cool. He told me a lot about how and why Mr Loar designed them how he did and then how Bill Monroe was able to buy his and what he figured out he could do with it. What a neat and quirky guy he is!... a really enjoyable time indeed!

All 3 of the Loars I played were outstanding and all were very very different. One just strait F5, one that had been retoppped in the 30's by Gibson's and one with a Virzi... what a neat experience. He kept saying stuff like "Chris Thile liked this one better than that one and I disagreed with him... etc etc." what a fun and memorable 45 min that was!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to soliver For This Useful Post:

About 15 years ago Phil Zimmerman let a few of us at a mandolin camp try his. i got it for a bout 5 minutes. I believe it's a rather beat-up one, if I remember right. It felt wonderful, had a great neck, I thought, but for me at the time seemed hard to play. Probably had Monroe-style 'manly' action. I didn't know enough or have it long enough to make any judgements but at least I can say I played one.
    Cary Fagan

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

The one and only Loar I've ever played is John Reischman's Loar on a couple occasions. The first time was in his living room, and I got to play it for an hour or so. He played my humble KM-1000 for that hour. The second time was after a show of his when he played with Harry Manx. He handed the loar to me so he could sign autographs. I happily obliged and then had a nice visit with him again.
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

===========

I have played two Loar's over the years. The first one was an F-2 or F-4, that was for sale at a local music store. It was in terrible shape, played like a beast and sounded awful. Some time later I got to briefly play Joe Val's F-5 (after Joe had passed away and it was sold to a Connecticut musician) - and it was wonderful. I handed it back rather quickly because I was afraid of accidentally doing some damage, and my skill level was WAY below such a classic instrument. I was playing a Rigel R-100 at the time, so I didn't feel bad about having to go back to my own mandolin, since it was no slouch either.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    I have played two Loar's over the years. The first one was an F-2 or F-4, that was for sale at a local music store.
    Uh...no.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlanN For This Useful Post:

===========

This was back in my very early days as a mandolin player - I knew OF Loar mandolins, but didn't really know anything ABOUT them.

I may be crazy, and there is no way that I can go back in time, but I SWEAR that the mandolin that I played was an oval; (I remember being disappointed when I saw the mandolin, because I was not an oval hole guy at the time, and I was looking for an f-hole mandolin) and I also distinctly remember the owner of the store specifically showing me the the label inside, to point out that I was indeed signed by Loar.

Perhaps it was an F-5 that foolishly got badly re-topped in the 1930's (which could explain why it was such a beast)? Who knows.

Poo-poo it all you want, but that's my story I'm sticking to it . . .

Adrian Minarovic

I'm not aware of any Loar signed oval mandolins... Perhaps experts know more.
    The Joe Val Loar was the first one I played as well. It had fresh set of Elixir installed just like my personal mandolin at the time so we played them for hour or more. My ideal were prety much crushed as I fount they were hard to tell apart with eyes closed and my mandolin was even a bit louder... and I've always thought of my mandolin as not Loar sounding before that.
    Adrian

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HoGo For This Useful Post: