Thread: Who Wrote this ...

Default Who Wrote this ...

I have a recording I took off of a radio station back around '79 or '80 and I can't find the band or the song anywhere. I've googled the lyrics and came up empty handed. The closest I've come to finding it, is that the song immediately following it is Lonesome Fiddle Blues cover by New Grass Revival on the 1972 album of the same name. I always thought it was the same band on both songs, but now I'm not so sure. They chorus is something like "I'm looking for a lady, who wants to ride shotgun, I'm looking for a lady who's willing to hear my lies. Joanne understand if you can't see the things I'm sayin, Joanne understand you got problems with your eyes". I've uploaded the song to youtube, as unlisted, so I can provided a link to the song here, if that's permitted. It's a great song, and I'd like to recorded it and I'd like to give credit to whoever wrote it. Steve.

Default Re: Who Wrote this ...

I've been trying for several years to find this. I had a breakthrough this weekend. My cousin, Cleve Allen, is a long time banjo player down in Chester, Va. and recognized the banjo playing as Courtney Johnson. Sam Bush is one of the few mandolin players that could have played at that level, but the guitar player is definitely not Tony Rice.

Joanne, by The Cache Valley Drifters. Great band that featured 2 lead guitars, a rarity. The mando man is Bill Griffin, who lives in Hawaii, I believe. They did 2 or 3 records back in the day; I have them all, digital, as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cache Valley Drifters back.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	170588  

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

The guitarist in New Grass Revival in 1979 was Curtis Burch - he was replaced in 1981 by Pat Flynn...

It'd be interesting to hear the track... all of the NGR have highly distinctive styles...
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Joanne, by The Cache Valley Drifters. Great band that featured 2 lead guitars, a rarity. The mando man is Bill Griffin, who lives in Hawaii, I believe. They did 2 or 3 records back in the day; I have them all, digital, as well.
    Beat me to it, and with the answer as well!
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Wow! That's actually not the recording I have, which sounds like a studio version, but it's definitely the same band. Nice catch! You would be amazed at how many forums I've struck out on looking for this. Great song and great band.

The recording I have is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ9t_3V8Ihw

I had the early Cache Valley CD from around 1979. Had some nice Texas Swing, and as I recall a version of "I shot the Sheriff". Then, I recently purchased a couple of their later CD's. One is called White Room, it's dated 1999. Another dated 2006 is called, MightyFine.net. Great stuff.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Killer band and performance.

However I am struggling with these lyrics: "Joanne understand if you can't see the things I'm sayin, Joanne understand you got problems with your eyes"

... is there closed captioning involved? What am I missing?
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Song starts at 22:12:

Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

The CVD albums in my collection:

- aforementioned LP above
    - Step Up To Big Pay
    - Tools Of The Trade

They were a way cool band. They grassed up The Dead's Cumberland Blues like nobody's business, plus a beautiful version of Prine's Hello In There. Bill's mandolin stylings really floated my boat.