Thread: Dobro Mandolin setup

Default Dobro Mandolin setup

I have a 1989 Dobro Mandolin which I acquired recently. I had the neck reset to give a little more room between the strings and cover plate as it was very close. It wasn't difficult
    as it's held on by screws.

So, new strings. Don't want to go too heavy and strangle it but it's a bit sweet and middley by nature. I have Martin Monels, GHS silk and steel and D'Addario 73's and 74's on the shelf.

Any recommendations ?

I'd also like a recessed cover plate to give a bit more picking room but I guess I'd have to have something made. Any ideas ?

Default Re: Dobro Mandolin setup

I had tried a Spider cone Rigel.. bridge piece too thin, needs to be thicker to allow for intonation offsets..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

3. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Davey 

Not familiar with all the brands you're considering, but I'd stick to lighter gauges. I have them on my '30's Dobro mandolin.

You could get a custom-built cover plate with a lower profile, at least the part "in front" of the bridge. Have you replaced the bridge saddle with a compensated one? I have the original, un-compensated saddle still on mine, and there are some (minor) intonation issues. Not enough to make me go after a compensated saddle, but if it were my main instrument (it's not), I might be considering having a compensated saddle made.

The resonator/spider bridge configuration doesn't allow for any relocation of the bridge; it's in one place, and it's going to stay there. There may be a tiny bit of "wiggle room" sliding the entire spider assembly toward or away from the neck, but it's minuscule. We resonator mandolin players pretty much live with the set-ups the instruments come with, though your neck re-set may have given you improved playing action. Did it have any effect on the intonation? Lower action generally means the strings aren't stretched as much when you press them to the fretboard, which may make the notes a bit flatter than before.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

When I got the Mandolin the action was low and the bridge saddle was barely showing above the metal part. This meant I had about 3mm between the strings and cover plate where I would normally pick and the clicking was just too loud.

I now have about 6mm and it's better though I still have to be careful how I hold my pick.

I had a straight maple saddle put in, the intonation is not perfect but acceptable. Actually worse on the bass strings. It's a nice instrument and easy to play. I'll stick to lighter strings and play a different Mandolin if I want a deeper sound. Cheers

You can turn the biscuit so it angles the saddle. Try angling the saddle so the bass is further back and see if intonation gets better. Also pull it back in the body as far as it will go.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

8. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Davey 

I have a 1930's regal spider bridge. I use Newtone .008's on it. The intonation was WAY off when I got it. I ended up machining some metal off the lower three spider legs, re-drilling the hole for the screw going into the cone and enlarging the cover plate cutout to move the bridge down toward the tailpiece enough. But now it is one sweet sounding and playing mando! I also added a JJB pickup to the cone and it sounds great plugged in as well.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobart For This Useful Post:

I encountered a similar problem with my Dobro. Clearence between the strings and the cover plate was very tight and it was difficult to pick without clicks from the pick hitting the cover plate or the fretboard. There was a bit more clearence between the top end of the cover plate and the end of the fretboard, but that area wasn't very wide. So I had the end of the fretboard shortened, removing the last two frets. I now have a wider area for picking, and I still have that great shiny cover plate with its cutouts for moons and stars!

Why are you thinking that heavier strings would strangle it? Dobros are designed for heavy strings, relative to their wood counterparts. Look at the size of strings Dobro players put on their guitars... no strangling going on there. This is not like a wood instrument. Go as heavy as you want. You won't break it.

13. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

Davey 

I'm with Marty, I used regular gauge on mine when I had it, it sounded great and had no problem with the strings.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

15. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Davey 

Yes, wasn't thinking Dobro. Biscuit cone resos are easily choked if they get too much pressure.