Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Custom Build Luthiers

Default Re: Custom Build Luthiers

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    Hi Treidm,

I just had Mike Black do a build for me. I also have a flat-top Terry Majewski of Crystal Forest built (I bought it new but it was not specifically built for me). It is a real treat to be able to have one specifically built for you, like my interaction with Mike. It is also a treat to be able to speak directly with a builder even if it is not a 'built for you' deal. In fact, Terry and I have kept in touch for years now.

If that is what makes you happy, go for it. I probably will again one day. It really does add to the experience of getting a new instrument, at least for me.

Be aware, though, that there is often a waiting line before your build starts. Once you decide on a builder, as you are nearing piling up all the cash, but before you are quite there, speak with the builder and get on the waiting list. It will be limit the time you will ultimately be waiting.
    So glad you mentioned getting on list, just before I have cash ready. VERY good tips, Thank you!
    2011 Black A5 (#9) Mandolin
    1952 Gibson A-40N Mandolin
    1924 Gibson TB-1 Trapdoor Tenor Banjo
    1975 Gibson MK-35 Hybrid Braced Dreadnought Guitar
    1993 Washburn M3 SW/TS F-Style Mandolin
    2004 Martin D-16 GT Dreadnought Guitar
    2006 Martin DC-16RGTE AURA Dreadnought Guitar
    1997 Seagull S6 Dreadnought Guitar
    1970's Kay KB-52 5-String Banjo
    1960's Pirles 4-String Tenor Banjo

I've had two custom instruments built by folks who have been mentioned. They will build and appoint an instrument exactly as you specify. You just have to write the check to meet those specifications.

Handmade instruments do not get large economies of scale, so they are typically more expensive than 'the big boys'.

My guys were Audie Ratliff and Austin Clark. Each instrument I have I am quite pleased with, A style and 2 point.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill McCall For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by treidm View Post
    I've been looking at the Blacks and like them. I will now look into the Girouard & Pava. Thanks...
    I still will stay away from a dbl breasted co, that has many made in china. Again, it's our preference to buy from USA co. that makes them All in the USA. Plenty available for me to choose from. There will be plenty that can buy from northfield, just not me.
    Thanks again for all the names for me to check out. VERY helpful!
    Bruce Weber has started building again. You should call him and discuss what you are looking for. NFI

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to George R. Lane For This Useful Post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doc holiday View Post
    Jim Baggett (owner of Mass St Music)is an incredibly knowledgeable man as well being a nice guy. He won't steer you wrong.
    What mandolin(s) does Jim play?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

7. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

I second Eric Hanson on Tyler White’s mandolins, but he currently has over a two year wait last I heard.
    2019 Tyler White custom F5 #17
    2012 Huss and Dalton RD-M
    2019 Gann resonator guitar

https://www.youtube.com/user/kinmanknives

I personally would be wary of commissioning a custom build. First, the wait. Second, no telling what you get will be exactly what you want. Not saying they won't be really good, but think about it. All those nice instruments hanging on the walls at Carter's were once someone's dream acquision. So I would just want to go to Nashville, play everything, and buy the one I liked the best.

One of them is bound to be the one. Maybe ordering an Ellis would be the right choice, maybe not. Sure, I'd like one, but who's to say the Heiden wouldn't have rocked my world. A bird in the hand......
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    I personally would be wary of commissioning a custom build. First, the wait. Second, no telling what you get will be exactly what you want. Not saying they won't be really good, but think about it. All those nice instruments hanging on the walls at Carter's were once someone's dream acquision. So I would just want to go to Nashville, play everything, and buy the one I liked the best.
    And thats the crux of the issue, finding an existing instrument with the right sound and playability to show up at a store near you versus ordering one based on the makers existing body of work and your specified playing characteristics. At least you know you'll get something that fits your hands as you want. But of course you could find the right sound and change the fingerboard (radius/flat) but you couldn't make it wider or narrower, at least easily. Not to mention the neck profile.

Probably no longer wait to order than to have one show up at a store with the right characteristics.

No guarantees either way.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

11. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

My notion is that I only custom order an instrument if it doesn't otherwise exist in nature and would show up in the classifieds with a little patience. Want a true blacktop A2-z? Call Mike Black. Crave a modern Alrite flattop? Contact Andy Poe. Otherwise, wait.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

13. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

I can see now that the only way out is to buy a really good mandolin at a well stocked store and play it while you wait for the custom build. Then keep them both.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I can see now that the only way out is to buy a really good mandolin at a well stocked store and play it while you wait for the custom build. Then keep them both.
    Br1ck, This is the fool proof plan, right here!

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

if you want to temporarily cure MAS, order a mandolin with a 2-yr wait.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatt-dad For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Silver Angel is Ken Ratcliff. Website.

I think you should expect many small shop builders to be at similar prices to the bigger production builders in terms of price for similar quality and appointments. They want to eat, too. If want a builder that sounds like an X or Y or Z, you should likely purchase from X or Y or Z. I've had two custom builds and had great experiences. It was fun to interact and feel like I was involved in the process.

You can search the Builder Archive here by state. Both of mine were built out of the country (Canada - Brian Dean and Australia - Jack Spira).

I think before you really get to awash in various builder recommendations, you may want to define your requirements some more for what you're after. So far all I know you're after is a carved mandolin with ff holes.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    if you want to temporarily cure MAS, order a mandolin with a 2-yr wait.

f-d
    I have found this to be a great way to get more instruments. I had lived happily with one nice guitar. I bought another in need of a lot of work. My luthier was backed up a year. In that year I bought two more guitars. Once I decided one wasn't enough, getting more was all I thought about.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

21. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

I discovered a way to affect the rate of time...
    When I ordered my last custom mando, I was told that the wait would be over a year...time stood still.
    After three months, I got a update that most of the construction was done, ZAP...I zoomed forward in time like a spaceship with warp drive!
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

23. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    I think before you really get to awash in various builder recommendations, you may want to define your requirements some more for what you're after. So far all I know you're after is a carved mandolin with ff holes.
    Jamie
    In previous post I put....

I prefer tone bars over x-braced
    I prefer F-holes over round or oval
    I prefer A-style, due to cost of F's [But F-style would be great]
    I prefer NOT having gold colored tailpiece or tuning pegs
    I prefer NOT having a lot of fancy inlays
    I prefer Varnish finish
    I prefer having a pick-guard

I would like having excellent bottom end, deep, and woody, very good to excellent mids and good to very good highs.

We play:
    Bluegrass, Folk, Folk Rock, Blues and Original music that we or friends have written

Please help me in knowing what types of things I should add, to help?
    Thanks....

Blog Entries

Oops. Missed that post. mea culpa. That's a good list.

I think a lot of that many of the builders you see participating and posting photos of their instruments can meet. His web site is a bit out of date in this facebook age the facebook page for Old Wave Mandolins is a good representation. Bill can certainly get the hardware and tone specs for you. I feel his mandolins are very well built and lively. I've had a chance to play a few.

One spec I didn't notice, is neck profile, to you like them smaller or clubbier, V or D or C chaped?

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

26. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

treidm 

Paul Schnieder builds some great mandolins too. His brand is Summit. http://www.summitmandolins.com/index.html

28. The following members say thank you to Joe Mendel for this post:

treidm 

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I would like having excellent bottom end, deep, and woody, very good to excellent mids and good to very good highs.
    You really ought to look at Ken Ratcliff's Silverangel Mandolins, as mentioned above. I recently put my hands on another Cafe member's SA and it was so rich and full and deep while maintaining a great quality in the mids and highs,... just a SUPER instrument, and I do believe his prices are very doable. He has an "Econo A model" that is only "Econo" in that it has no binding on the back... Otherwise it is just as Heirloom quality as his non-"Econo" models. He starts these models at $1250.... a steal IMHO. I plan to order one in the next month or so.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

30. The following members say thank you to soliver for this post:

treidm 

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    One spec I didn't notice, is neck profile, to you like them smaller or clubbier, V or D or C chaped?
    Jamie
    Very good thought, thank you.

I have large hands with fairly long slender fingers.
    The Gibson I play is 1952 A-40. It is very flat fingerboard with 1-1/8" nut (I think). never really thought about neck profile, but I need to understand and learn the pros and cons of each. I also play a Washburn F5 that has radiused fingerboard with 1-1/16" nut
    And of course friends mandolins or others at stores. The two I play feel totally different in hand and one is faster for lead, the other isnt as fast but more comfortable in lower register and chords and chops. Guess I need to start searching for info on neck profile advice...

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Hi Triedm,

I pretty much started on an old Kay. Then I got an Aria Pro II f-model (narrow nut) and a Gibson A3 (1-1/4 nut). I'd take my f-model to jams. I did enjoy and practiced a lot on my a3 though. That was all like 33 years ago. There was a spell of kids in diapers, then I returned to playing. I bought a few, "Made in Japan" solid-body mandolins and sold them in time.

Through all that I spent my first real money (early-internet) on a Flatiron A5-1 (1984?) and then a Stiver A5, both with 1-1/8 in nuts. Finally, in good time, I ordered two mandolins with 1-3/16ths in nut. I like them! Main reason I no longer have my Stiver and Flatiron mandolins - both great instruments!

You can get mandolins custom made with 1-3/16ths in nut width. Factory versions are available through Collings, maybe others - I haven't checked.

Both of my custom mandolins have radius fretboards. My Gibson does not. I find it easy to adapt, but I'm no pro! I'm just a dude having fun!

Enjoy the hunt!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

33. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

treidm 

If you happen to remember his name, sounds very interesting with carvings and art. would like to see photos of some of his work.
    thanks for all the names, I've jotted them all down.
    His name is Ken Ratliff.
    2007 Sumi F-5 Deluxe
    1991 Flatiron Performer A
    Martin D-35

35. The following members say thank you to Mike Arakelian for this post:

treidm 

One aspect of Ken's expertise is his ability to realistically distress a mandolin. Slight or extreme, his distressing is remarkable. My A is slightly reliced and looks like a well taken care of mandolin from the twenties.

They do sound great. I've not played another brand that captured the low end warmth of a SA, while still retaining the highs.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

37. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

treidm 

Here's a used Mike Black A5 you might be interested in for $2600
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/128973#128973
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	128973.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	212.5 KB 
ID:	170872

I still think the best buy for his work is the Bradford Fret Shop Hawthorn A5 which are built by Mike Black. New for $1900 with James tailpiece and fiberglass case as well.
    https://www.bfstrings.com/store/p101..._Mandolin.html
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s614787906982961980_p101_i2_w516.jpeg 
Views:	68 
Size:	329.0 KB 
ID:	170873

39. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

treidm 

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Arakelian View Post
    His name is Ken Ratliff.
    His name is Ken Ratcliff
    Audie Ratliff is another builder.

Take a few days and head over to Nashville. Both Carter’s and Gruhn’s have used mandolins built by lots of the builders raved about on the Cafe. I got an incredible education there last summer, and it was tons of fun!
    still trying to turn dreams into memories