Thread: Rosewood and shellac

Default Rosewood and shellac

I am getting close to putting a finish on my first instrument, and I have a question about putting shellac down over rosewood without there being lots of bleeding onto adjacent maple.

The instrument has red maple back and sides, Adirondack spruce top, and rosewood binding and points. I haven’t yet attached the fretboard extender or the fretboard, but other than that the woodworking part is mostly done.

My intention is to put tung or walnut oil on the maple before putting shellac (padding vs. French polish) on the whole instrument. No staining or dyes. I’ve played with scraps enough to know that the alcohol base of shellac will make the rosewood oil bleed onto everything nearby. I’d like to seal the rosewood with something before putting oil and shellac on the instrument. I don’t have, and don’t want, a spraying setup, so suggestions for hand-applied finished would be the most helpful. Based on the reading I’ve been doing, I have some thoughts but would love people’s advice here on how to seal the rosewood and NOT the adjacent maple (because the maple will ultimately be oiled).

Thin CA glue?
    Dilute hide glue or perhaps gelatin?
    Polyurethane seems like it won’t adhere to the oily rosewood.
    Other thoughts?

Thanks for everyone’s help.

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Rosewood and shellac

I'm going to suggest that you go to the guitar making community for the best answer to your question. They use rosewood bindings much more frequently than mandolin makers.

Have a look at this video of mine- rosewood sides with maple bindings- similar problem.
    If you skip to about 5 mins in, you'll see the bit that you want.

https://youtu.be/-6H3pQbei2Q

Hope it helps.
    Cheers Gary

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GarY Nava For This Useful Post:

This is a follow up post. Mr. Nava’s suggestion was spot on. In the end I used a 1 lb cut of super blonde shellac and just quickly wiped the bindings. A few applications like this, and I was then able to French polish the top of the instrument without any bleeding from the adjacent bindings.

I can’t believe what a great resource this place is.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MinkBrookRambler For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MinkBrookRambler View Post
    This is a follow up post. Mr. Nava’s suggestion was spot on. In the end I used a 1 lb cut of super blonde shellac and just quickly wiped the bindings. A few applications like this, and I was then able to French polish the top of the instrument without any bleeding from the adjacent bindings.

I can’t believe what a great resource this place is.
    Glad that you found the video useful and that it worked for you. I haven't been called Mr Nava for years; I used be a teacher!
    Cheers Gary