Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: considering an oval hole mandolin

Default considering an oval hole mandolin

i'm slowly getting interested in an oval hole mandolin again, but i'm not sure the combination i'd like is out there. i only have two mandolins and am very satisfied with them (Stanley A5 and Martin A) but there is a void to fill with the right oval hole. There have been two in the stable, a '25 A snakehead, and a '23 F4 sans Virzi. The ears found their sound to be too tubby with weak E strings to stand the test of time.

Not intrested in Gibson or the extreme high and low ends, such as Gilchrist and Pacrim offerings. But tone, playability and good workmanship are the main things. Even and good volume across the strings/up and down the neck, overtones, resonance, and sweet tone. Neck rather v shaped and 1 1/16" at the nut. Need not be fancy. The kind of mandolin i would have a lot of trouble putting down and folks would recognize its sweetness of tone and volume.

There don't seem to be many out there like this for sale, so the piggy bank should be able to rest easy for a long, long time.

Default Re: considering an oval hole mandolin

You might consider a Pomeroy mandolin built by Don Paine.
    He currently sells what he calls a V-style. That's an A2 with a scroll on the headstock.
    http://pomeroyinstruments.com/pomero...-hole-v-style/
    I have Pomeroy A-2 #243. It doesn't sound tubby in any way. Rather brillant.
    These days, I prefer my bowlbacks, but when I use the Pomeroy for a recording, I just like the sound.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zflc...FcI-4Iu4&t=54s

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crisscross For This Useful Post:

Get a Collings MT-O or a Girouard oval hole.

This Collings looks pretty nice......

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/128309#128309

Here is a thread about a recent Girouard oval hole build...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...Girouard-Oval-!

NFI
    Last edited by Charles E.; Aug-25-2018 at 3:21pm.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Thanks for both of the thoughtful replies.

CE, the right Girouard might interest me, but not so much Collings...as beautiful and perfect as they look, my ears search for more soul or depth in their sound. No disrespect intended at all, but i always think Taylor gutiars when i see or hear a Collings mandolin.

Crisscross, thank you for the Pomeroy link. That model seems reminiscent of a good Lyon & Healy in both looks and tone. They just might make one with the narrow neck i need, but i forgot to mention the neck needs to be of A5 length. Will have to consider this and give them a shout. Having not been on their website in too long and this model has definitely caught me by surprise.
    Addendum: Just looked at the website and listened to their sound clips...a good sound and would be closer to what i seek with a juicier midrange.

Some surprising things come up in the classifieds...maybe a Lebeda or something else is out there.
    Last edited by dan in va; Aug-25-2018 at 3:49pm.

Google Mike Black. He seems to specialize in oval holes. Has sound clips on his website, the model with virzi sounds great to me. Have seen a couple of used ones in the classifieds within the last six months or so, under $2,000 if I recall. New, custom built price seemed reasonable to me, and you can specify how you want it.
    Riley

Kentucky KM-250

Guitars:
    RainSong SMH
    Blueridge BR-142
    The Loar LH-250
    Recording King RPS-9
    A Strat and a Tele

Rfloyd, you make a good suggestion with Mike Black. i haven't had the pleasure of playing one, and i'd be knocking on his door if'n i was looking for the Gibson tone. Nobody's more surprised than i to hear myself say this, but my ears have gotten to a place where their oval sound just doesn't suit me...albeit, there is hear-say of some incredible ones out there.

i appreciate your post; thanks for writing.

Have you considered a Weber oval hole? I feel like mine has good depth of sound, so I feel there must be others out there that sound like mine.....

9. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

Girouard Oval !!!!!!!!! Beautiful workmanship and wonderful sound !

LS, it's good to hear about your Weber. That's another brand i haven't found to play yet and on my list.

y1, thanks for your vote of confidence for Girouard. Max did build a very nice looking, playing and sounding mandola for me a few years back that really was all that and a bag of picks...beautiful custom work in every way to look like my Stanley. But alas, there don't seem to be many of his ovals to get a good feel for their tone on the 'net. i would jump at the chance to pick one also.

It's a bit tricky listening to mandolins (or any stringed instrument) on the 'net. There are some well known instruments that have been recorded and they sound about the same on this computer's sound system. But there is so much variation with recording equipment that it's hard to know how true to life the audio is.

Quote Originally Posted by dan in va View Post
    LS, it's good to hear about your Weber. That's another brand i haven't found to play yet and on my list.

y1, thanks for your vote of confidence for Girouard. Max did build a very nice looking, playing and sounding mandola for me a few years back that really was all that and a bag of picks...beautiful custom work in every way to look like my Stanley. But alas, there don't seem to be many of his ovals to get a good feel for their tone on the 'net. i would jump at the chance to pick one also.

It's a bit tricky listening to mandolins (or any stringed instrument) on the 'net. There are some well known instruments that have been recorded and they sound about the same on this computer's sound system. But there is so much variation with recording equipment that it's hard to know how true to life the audio is.
    Type in Girouard oval youtube and you can see/hear one being played !

My Taylor 714 can go from the bright Taylor sound to stank factor with an alternative tuning +/- a slide...so wouldn’t totally discount Collings. Do they do an MT-2O? Had an MT that I chose to move in favor of my Silverangel Econo A, but have since played 2 MT-2s that were totally different beasts altogether. Ken from SA has been making some ovals lately, and I’m sure could accommodate your neck preferences...as could Skip Kelley...

Just thoughts, have fun with your search!
    Chuck

i appreciate your insight, CES. i do agree all mandolins are individuals, which is what makes our searches so darn wishey-washey. It would be nice if there was such a thing as consistency among builders, which no doubt they would like also.

It would also be good if The Mandolin Store was close by, as mandolins are few and far between around here. i haven't heard or seen any SA ovals yet. And there have been a few Collings ovals that i've liked some, but their neck shapes don't suit me.

i'm hoping not to have to do a custom oval...ya put the money down and hope for the best. It might be better to have the neck modified of the one with the right sound.

Y1, i've heard a few on YT, but only a few and the sound quality is all over the place.

I was going to post almost identically to the above in that SA should be on your radar.

I am going to be on the lookout for a vintage Gibson precisely because I don't think a modern oval like a Collings would be different enough from my redwood topped, cross braced Silverangel to bother with. I have played it side by side with an MT O.

But a vintage Gibson is a very different animal.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Blog Entries

I second the Weber oval suggestion. I also like Collingses, but they are a different sound. My MTO is pretty bright sounding, Havent played their MT2O, though. Webers are a bit mellower than Collings in general but there are some pretty bright Webers, too. Of course, sample before committing and if you can't, be sure you get an approval period after receipt.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

If you can find one, the Paris Swing John Jorgenson (MS-140) is a very sweet mandolin (my avatar).

Designed by Greg Rich (former Gibson custom shop and current The Loar designer) it's a very interesting blend of snake head, F4 and oval with a few unique design aspects thrown in.

It's 12-fret to the body with a very nice ebony board. I find it a pleasure to play. The tone is loud and focused - it's not tubby like an F5. Very refined tone IMHO.

They were made in China and it has a nice D profile neck, so it's off your list on those points, but worth a look if you come across one.

They are discontinued but here's a few listing for ref:
    https://www.folkmusician.com/product...enson-mandolin
    https://reverb.com/item/5746392-pari...lin-2007-black
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Those Pomeroy ovals seem to be great deals. I'm sure he could make a neck to suit you.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

PM me if you'd like to give mine (see avatar) a try. Weber!

Looks like we're not too far from each other....

[Edit - no, not for sale!]
    Despite the high cost of living, it still remains popular...

No love here for Collings ovals. I own Mike Black #27 and have played several of his mandolins and octaves. Beautiful builds without the sterile look of..............not going to bash them again. Full sound of ancient snakeheads by a builder who really cares.
    Mike Snyder

22. The following members say thank you to Mike Snyder for this post:

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

You mentioned Lebeda, there is one available at Carters right now for $2000 (NFI)

https://cartervintage.com/products/lebeda-mandola-2006
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dan in va View Post
    Rfloyd, you make a good suggestion with Mike Black. i haven't had the pleasure of playing one, and i'd be knocking on his door if'n i was looking for the Gibson tone. Nobody's more surprised than i to hear myself say this, but my ears have gotten to a place where their oval sound just doesn't suit me...albeit, there is hear-say of some incredible ones out there.
    It's possible that a Virzi would give you more of what you're looking for, and you might be a candidate for a hybrid oval with an elevated board and longer neck join. But have you considered an Old Wave? I have.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/128138#128138
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

25. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Those Mike Black mandolins look and sound, based on the videos on his website, great!

+1 on the Bruce signed Weber.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	241D9A0E-98F5-4CBE-8AAA-47CA0A999AD3.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	644.9 KB 
ID:	170551Click image for larger version. 

Name:	935CC3C5-8D0A-4749-BF7E-1C64DB910356.jpeg 
Views:	156 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	170552
    " Practice every time you get a chance." - Bill Monroe

28. The following members say thank you to AMandolin for this post:

Pavas are nice.

30. The following members say thank you to Paul R for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Before you give up on Gibson oval hole instruments play an A2Z model. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

32. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post: