Thread: Blues, Stomps, & Rags #17

Default Blues, Stomps, & Rags #17

Rich DelGrosso describes Eddie Dimmitt as an "unknown" mandolin player, who appeared on a few recordings, but otherwise disappeared from musical history. Dimmitt recorded and played with the Tommy Bradley and James Cole group in Indiana. DelGrosso says, "His strong, passionate playing added a hard-driving blues element to the guitar/violin combo" (Mandolin Blues, p.38).

Here are a couple of old recordings, not of great quality, with the mandolin often being overwhelmed by the fiddles. Still, we get a sense of Dimmitt's drive. The first recording, from 1931, is under Tommy Bradley's name. If the connections don't work, search YouTube for "Tommy Bradley, Four Day Blues"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBtmbQTEWl8

The second video was recorded under the name, Buster Johnson with James Cole's Washboard Band, in 1932. The YouTube poster says that the mandolin player is probably Eddie Dimmitt, which seems likely. If the connections don't work, search YouTube for "Undertaker Blues, Buster Johnson with James Cole's Washboard Band".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZMtVF3D7sQ

Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ranald For This Useful Post:

wannabe mandolin wizzard bluesmandolinman's Avatar

Default Re: Blues, Stomps, & Rags #17

thanks for your time to provide this Blues, Stomps, & Rags series !
    Carl Martin - Everyday I have the Blues

My gear : 1927 A0/Ajr , JM-11 , Fender 346 white XH

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluesmandolinman For This Useful Post: