Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Terrified of changing strings

Default Re: Terrified of changing strings

I have developed a phobia of E strings. I have been cut far too many times (it seems like thousands).

Ivan, I love the fact that many people change to a cast tailpiece for easier string changes! I'm not knocking cast tailpieces. They are great, just not for changing strings.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

I guess it happens,I just broke my first E string changing strings the other day,and this is after years of changing strings..

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

OK … terrified …. don't be … strings break sometimes when old sometimes when brand spanking new.. bringing them up to pitch slowly is best …. looking for any burrs or sharp spots on the tail piece or tuners is something to do as part of the process of changing strings.. maybe not every time but yearly anyway ….. a set of small metal files will take care of any metal smoothing needed … the string loops come apart / untwisted occasionally too.. You can change strings one at a time a pair at a time or two pair at a time any more than four strings off at a time may allow the bridge to shift and then your instruments intonation will be off. It does get easier with repetition there are YouTube demonstrations also. Patience Padawan ….. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Hey, it's not a monster, it's just a thing.
    A broken string usually tells you the exact reason by the place where it broke. If the loops break, the hooks are too sharp.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

5. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Do you think they just break because we're terrified they will? Suppose we had more faith....?
    "What's that funny guitar thing..?"

7. The following members say thank you to Tim N for this post:

derbex 

Unlike many, I've never had an e string break when installing new strings. All my mandolins are oldish, so any mechanical issues would have been long past.

String gauge might be an issue?

I'm one of those who enjoy changing strings, find it kind of relaxing. Also a nice time to do some instrument clean-up, add some graphic to the slots, check bridge angle, etc.

I didn't catch if it was mentioned, but a little graphite/pencil lead in nut and saddle slots will help the strings slide, squeak less, and maybe reduce breakage.

10. The following members say thank you to Luna Pick for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    George - My Weber with it's Weber tailpiece is the fiddliest tailpiece on ANY instrument i've ever owned !. There's just about 3/16" at the string hook end,for the string loop to be bent sharply to get it onto the tiny string 'hook'. To call them 'hooks' needs a bit of a stretch of the imagination as well. Without some Bluetak to keep the loops on the 'hooks',i'd be seriously sunk !,:disbeli
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weber Tailpiece.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	170537
    Ivan,
    That is why I put a James Tailpiece on. It makes string changing so much easier. I hated the Weber tailpiece.

12. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Pick View Post
    I'm one of those who enjoy changing strings, find it kind of relaxing. Also a nice time to do some instrument clean-up, add some graphic to the slots, check bridge angle, etc.
    I didn't catch if it was mentioned, but a little graphite/pencil lead in nut and saddle slots will help the strings slide, squeak less, and maybe reduce breakage.
    If we didn't live all the way across the country from each other about every 4 to 6 weeks I'd bring you something to help you relax.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    If we didn't live all the way across the country from each other about every 4 to 6 weeks I'd bring you something to help you relax.
    That's a thought, but maybe I enjoy it because I usually change strings in the 6 months, rather than 6 weeks, range. Along with the guitars, banjos and very occasionally one of the basses. Appreciate the consideration and potential offer though.

Don’t be scared of changing your strings.
    I really isn’t that hard or time consuming when you get the hang of it.
    If you play music a lot you will change your strings fairly often.
    Plus, the benefits of tone and feel from new strings, once they settle in, are worth it.

I must say that when I got my Northfield, with a James tailpiece installed, changing string became very easy.
    The James let’s you hook a string at the tailpiece and then close the lid, so that it holds the string on the hook while you work.
    It takes 3/4 of the frustration and complication out of string changes.

As for breaking strings, it happens sometimes.
    Maybe there was a defect in that one string, or since it broke at the loop you might have a sharp edge in the hook.
    I just restrung my mandolin and it was the first time I broke a string on initial tuneup.
    I broke an E.
    I always buy several packs of strings at a time so this is not a problem.
    I just canabalize another pack of strings.
    So it is not a total waste, I will replace the bass strings with the extras as soon as they loose sparkle.
    The trebles last longer anyway.

It is also a good idea to be sure that everything is in the correct slots at the nut and bridge while you tune up to pitch.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

It will help to relax when changing strings.....E strings can smell fear. Same thing for tenor guitar A strings.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

17. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Like someone else said, the shop I buy strings from charges $10 plus the cost of the strings to do it for you. If you hate doing it that much, for less than 20 bucks you're off the hook. It might be one of those little luxuries that is totally worth it.

Hi George - A sensible move !. If the cost of importing a James tailpiece wasn't so prohibitive,i'd maybe buy one & have my local luthier fit it for me. The Weber tailpiece was IMHO,not thought out too well. Yes,it does work ok,but it's hellishly fiddly,& the non-standard hole config.,makes changing it to the 'standard' (Gibson hole pattern) config., ie a 'plug & re-drill'' job,pretty expensive. Why Bruce chose to go that way,(Monteleone t/piece hole pattern),i don't know - too late now !!,

From CWRoyds - " The James let’s you hook a string at the tailpiece and then close the lid, so that it holds the string on the hook while you work. " Not on my Ellis "A" style James t/piece it doesn't !. The G,D & A strings are held in place ok,but the E strings slip off the string 'hooks' unless i use a piece of Bluetak to hold them in place. It has brand new rubber 'O' rings & the cover works perfectly - so why should that happen ?,

Hi Robert - 'Cast' t/pieces are a tad devisive in opinion. I put an Allen t/piece on my very first mandolin because the ''tin'' one was utterly horrific !. The Allen not only looked nicer,but for me,it worked perfectly,as long as i used a tiny piece of Bluetak to hold the strings on the 'hooks' - hardly difficult !. The same goes for the cast 'Monteleone' style t/piece on my Lebeda mandolin. As long as i use a piece of Bluetak,re-stringing is easy enough. There again,the Lebeda tailpiece is non-standard making a swap over pretty expensive - Oh well !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Very easy for me ( right handed) to change the G and D strings but when I turn the mandolin around to change the A and E strings I find it a little more difficult for me but I make it !

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    Very easy for me ( right handed) to change the G and D strings but when I turn the mandolin around to change the A and E strings I find it a little more difficult for me but I make it !
    Why turn the mandolin around????
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    Why turn the mandolin around????
    I can answer for me, I turn the mandolin around so the tuning buttons and pegs I'm working on are closer to me. Just for more control I guess. My old guy shaky hands.
    Giving this another try.

The local shop charges $15 plus strings to change them. That includes intonation check. I did it that way for a while, but got tired of the extra expense. I had a clamshell tailpiece installed because I hated having to futz around with that blasted tailpiece cover. Now it's a snap. Looks better too. I use a clip on guitar capo to hold the strings about half way up the neck so winding the strings around the tuning posts is a piece of cake. Two or three times around the post and through the hole and I'm a turn or two from being up to pitch. I don't mind the job now a bit.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

24. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

Every time I made an Amazon order for a while I threw in a 6-pack of .11 strings. Ernie Ball, I think. Not the best strings for daily use, but great for when you need to tune and detune. I use them on my mandolin and banjo. It’s helpful to have extras around. I try to use these misfits for setups and then string up with the matching “real” E strings when I’ve got everything dialed in. I’ve even been able to get my E strings back up to pitch lately after detuning for some small adjustments. It will get easier!

I also turn the mandolin away from me while I go from D to D# and E (slowly, over the course of a few hours. Move it up a bit, go do something else. An hour later, bring it up a bit more, etc.) I once took a broken string to the forehead so I always point the thing away from me now, but I still wince when going from D# to E.

Hey, strings break sooner or later anyway. Could be defective/counterfeit or any number of things. I just clocked myself doing a string change and what used to take me maybe ten minutes took me 20 but, nothing snapped and one course at a time I didn’t even have ammiserable hour of retuning either. Strings settled in surprisingly well for a four set gig a few hours later.
    The more you do it, the easier it becomes, fewer exciting events other than the enjoyment of playing.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Try Elixir -light- gauge strings.
    Less tension, less likelihood of breaking on you.

Mine never break.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
    Unlike many, I've never had an e string break when installing new strings. All my mandolins are oldish, so any mechanical issues would have been long past.

String gauge might be an issue?
    The only time I ever had one break (two, actually) was when I received a mandola with mandolin strings installed on it. Supposedly it worked that way, per the seller, but I couln't bring them to pitch, and I didn't try again. Since then, I've come to dislike any strings that are not flatwound, so I really only play mandolin once in a great while anymore.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

I live 15 minutes from Elderly Instruments.
    I must admit to a bit of laziness and simply have those great repair guys do it for me. Besides, I enjoy the extra benefit of browsing the store while I wait!
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Clements View Post
    I live 15 minutes from Elderly Instruments.
    I must admit to a bit of laziness and simply have those great repair guys do it for me. Besides, I enjoy the extra benefit of browsing the store while I wait!
    Slacker!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Pick View Post

I was wondering if lubrication would help also. I usually use pencil lead and it seems to help.