Thread: Vashti Bunyan

Default Vashti Bunyan

Not sure where exactly to put this, but Vashti is English and plays folk, I guess that qualifies as European Folk. Anyways, does anyone have any tabs or sheet music for any of the mandolin (or any portions of the song for that matter) on her "Just Another Diamond Day" album? It shows up in just about every song and it always sounds so pretty. I'd love to check it out if anyone has anything. Thanks.

Default Re: Vashti Bunyan

I don't have tabs or sheet music, but according to the instrumental credits (here), the mandolin player varied from track to track. It's Dave Swarbrick (then with Fairport Convention) on Where I Like To Stand, Come Wind Come Rain and Iris's Song For Us, and Robin Williamson (then with the Incredible String Band) on Lily Pond, Rose Hip November and Jog Along Bess. As the album was produced by Joe Boyd, the musicians are from his usual suspects.

Dave Swarbrick was a wonderful mandolinist. Robin Williamson has many admirable characteristics, but I wouldn't consider him a standout mandolin player.

Martin

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Default Re: Vashti Bunyan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-erNldHdV8&t=306s

Dave Swarbrick on fiddle and mandolin. The gap between Swarb's fiddle playing and the ones with Robin Willamson is really wide.

From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vashti_Bunyan
    "At Christmas 1968, during a break from her trip, she met Joe Boyd through a friend and he offered to record an album of her travelling songs for his Witchseason Productions. A year later Vashti returned to London and recorded her first LP with assistance from Simon Nicol and Dave Swarbrick of Fairport Convention, Robin Williamson of The Incredible String Band and string arranger Robert Kirby. The album appeared on Philips Records to warm reviews in December 1970, but struggled to find an audience.

Disappointed, she left the music industry and moved to The Incredible String Band's Glen Row cottages, then Ireland, and back to Scotland. Much of the ensuing 30 years were spent raising her three children. In this time, entirely unknown to her, the original album slowly became one of the most sought-after records of its time. It has sold online on Discogs for as much as $3,946."
    NH

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandocrucian For This Useful Post: