Thread: Orcas Island Tonewoods

Default Orcas Island Tonewoods

As you know, I've finished my Arches kit build, and was thrilled with my mandolin. I got to thinking, what small thing could I do to boost the spirits of a guy who has had some bad times this year. I thought I'd send Chris some nice wood in appreciation, so I contacted Bruce at Orcas Island Tonewood, thinking I'd have him send a set. He responded with an offer to send another set for free. In the end he wouldn't take my money at all, and today informed me he's shipped out some nice quilted maple.

Hopefully it will have Chris looking toward better days ahead, thanks to Bruce's generosity.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Orcas Island Tonewoods

Thanks Br1ck and Bruce. Keep us informed. I sure have several tools that I never use. If he thinks he's gonna jump back in, I'd be happy to help out.

Haha, sounds like Bruce for you. That's really cool.
    I bet a lot of us here would chip in with some functional tools if he gets to the point where he has the time and energy to build again.

My theory is if he has the materials, and some tools, he'll start thinking about it.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

True, but he has a lot of rebuilding to do before boredom will set in.

Bruce is one of the nicest and hippest guys in the tonewood business.

I've been out there several times visiting him on the island. 'Bummed I missed him last week while sailing. It is always a great time, and lets not forget the distractions right down the road at Doe Bay.....

I think it's well known what kind of guy Bruce is. Even if he didn't know wood as well as he does, wasn't so upfront about what he has and didn't price his stuff accordingly, even if he was just a regular ol' tonewood supplier, I'd still buy from him when I need wood, just because he's Bruce.

Also, wishing Chris the best in his recovery, financial and emotional. I'll go on record as being willing to help out if I can if and when he decides to build again.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

At this point he probably could use a shop. Time for an old fashioned barn raising.

I've come to the stage in life where I don't need much to make me happy. Boy, just one six foot workbench is high on my list. A bench and tools, a few good instruments and a vegetable garden. That and the wife and good health, and I'm set.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post: