Thread: BLUE COMET MANDOLIN (Stradolin?) on eBay

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

Default BLUE COMET MANDOLIN (Stradolin?) on eBay

BLUE COMET MANDOLIN https://ebay.us/3yj1bj

SOLish & Cheap enuf at $43.50 (auction+shipping) with 3 days to go on the auction.
    NOTICE THE FILLED IN DRILL HOLES ON THE HEADSTOCK

Default Re: BLUE COMET MANDOLIN (Stradolin?) on eBay

I tried to put up a post on this and it never went up. This mandolin is almost certainly one made by United Instruments of New Jersey in the late 1940s or into the 1950s. This company made many low grade instruments but some good guitars. United was based in the old Oscar Schmidt works and one of its trademarks was to nail on the tuner units and the tailpiece! Paul Hostetter posted up the headstock of a much nicer looking mandolin made by United and sold by Elderly- that conveniently had a United banner on the headstock. United made low cost parlour guitars that everybody likes to state were made by Harmony or Kay- they have MADE IN USA stamped inside of them. The company made Lee Gibbs Concertone guitars for Montgomery Ward and these are also attributed by sellers to those two Chicago makers. The United guitars all have a heel that is similar to a Gibson made guitar- and totally different to the shield shape used by Kay and Harmony.

Here is the thread in Mandolin Cafe that has the photos that Paul Hostetter posted. The discussion was about tuners, and this United mandolin has Kluson units but you can clearly see they are nailed into the headstock!

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...rmony-Mandolin

It's not a Strad-O-Lin genre mandolin but it is awful looking.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Is there some variety of "resonator" mandolin with an invisible resonator? I looked pretty hard and I couldn't find the blasted thing anywhere.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    Is there some variety of "resonator" mandolin with an invisible resonator? I looked pretty hard and I couldn't find the blasted thing anywhere.
    Were you thinking of this one Roger? Sometimes sold under the Blue Comet name, also 'Regal Artistic Resonator' though it isn't a resonator at all.

Lots of Blue Comet-labeled mandolins were their faux resonator instruments. This one lacks even that kind of quirky appeal.

You'll note it took nine bids to get up to $29. I predict a non-bonanza for the seller.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

The seller is clearly not knowledgeable and has Googled "Blue Comet" and found the "resonator" mandolin, so he has used that in his description- seemingly unaware that his lacks the resonator. I am impressed that United filled the wrongly drilled holes. I have a circa 1940 Kay mandolin where the holes are offset across the headstock due to a drilling error on the wound string side but the tuners were fitted and it was sold regardless of this error!

Amazing. It has a strap which would indicate that someone actually played it!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
    Amazing. It has a strap which would indicate that someone actually played it!
    Or else the "strap" was used to hang it outside an outhouse for a few decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    Or else the "strap" was used to hang it outside an outhouse for a few decades.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.