Thread: How are your Empathy and Listening skills? (yes, mando content)

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Default How are your Empathy and Listening skills? (yes, mando content)

I was reading an article on communication for some work related training and came across this interesting blurb/factiod:

Hear the emotion behind the words:
    It’s the higher frequencies of human speech that impart emotion. You can become more attuned to these frequencies—and thus better able to understand what others
    are really saying—by exercising the tiny muscles of your middle ear (the smallest in the body). You can do this by singing, playing a wind instrument, or listening to certain types of high-frequency music (a Mozart symphony or violin concerto, for example, rather than low- frequency rock, pop, or hip-hop).
    I have a lot of counselor training from both schooling and otherwise and consider myself rather attuned to others' emotions with a pretty good level of empathy. I can't help but wonder if or how playing the Mandolin has contributed that.

How about you? Do you find others telling you "You're a good listener..." or something similar? Do you think mando picking' sharpens your empathy?

Or is that a bunch of hooey?
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Default Re: How are your Empathy and Listening skills? (yes, mando conten

I was always more a fan of low - end thunder. I guess that makes me a yobbo.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

I sense some blurring of the difference between "good listeners" and "bad hearers".

- "Bad hearers" are everywhere and, eventually, the majority of us past the teenage years IF you want to measure frequency response. Most of us adults have lost the top octave or three of the 10 octave hearing range (usually put at 20 - 20,000 hz). It's just the human condition. Plus, MUCH of the "emotion behind the words" is conveyed by facial expression and body language, beyond the sound itself.

- "Good listeners", aside from any "hearing" acuity, tend to exercise the muscles BETWEEN their ears, rather than IN their ears.

So I guess you can put me in the "hooey" column!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EdHanrahan For This Useful Post:

Trying to read "tells" will get you in trouble.

Excluding music, I'm a poor listener and I know it. At least that's what DW says. Or something like that.

At work yesterday (I am a librarian) we had a Meditation program featuring two musicians, one playing a set of Tablas, the other trumpet. They played together at the end I was really getting into that unique combination.

When you talk about "listening" it made me realize that my increased attention to this duo was likely because 1) I'm a musician 2) My first instrument was drums and 3) It was a non-standard combination. I was even replacing the trumpet with mandolin as they played (sound only, not fingerings!). Afterwards I talked to the Tabla player who showed me how he got some of the "moving" tones that I clearly heard within his playing. Quite different technique than congas.

Point is, I think our attention in listening is highly variable based on our interest level.

7. The following members say thank you to ukenukem for this post:

I'm more often moved emotionally by the cello than by the violin. Stirs me on a deeper level?

But then I'm getting old, and my hearing in the upper ranges has deteriorated over time.

I've learned to be a good listener, because I prefer not to be the talker. More to do with personality than with playing a mandolin.

I'm a professional listener -- more than 40 years as a journalist, most of that time as a reporter -- and while a lot of my coworkers have some musical leanings, it doesn't necessarily match up with how well they listen or how successful they are at reading people or listening to them, nor their empathy level. I'd say that the observation was made backward -- people under stress tend to -- but not always -- speak with a changed voice, and someone extrapolated that out to an equivalency they could place neatly into a worksheet box. Certainly, there are people who raise their voice into a higher frequency when they are emotional but there are people who drop their voices, too, or who become speechless. And following that, it's certainly easier to say so-and-so-is-being-emotional if their voice is naturally higher -- women and children come to mind -- so you might get a false sense of whatever emotion is there -- if any -- based merely on whether their voice is in the upper or lower register. Whether the graf is hooey or not would depend on the research, if there is any. You'd be surprised at the number of things that are passed around as fact in management handouts that are simply observations, wishes, natural bent or bias of the author.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Randi Gormley For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Spence, I am a bit skeptical. But psych being a science, it might be a worthy hypothesis capable of being tested in a controlled manner.

Purely as an anecdote, I will note that consider myself more empathetic than most but I have had at least some degree of high frequency hearing deficit since childhood.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Thanks for the feedback, if nothing else, I did find it interesting to think about.

Keep the comments coming... interesting topic IMO.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

What I immediately found interesting about this statement is that women and children have higher-pitched voices, and are also perceived as being more emotional than you folks who live in the tenor-baritone-bass range.

Playing music in a group, be it Haydn quartets, bluegrass, or rock, requires that you learn to listen to others, read their non-verbal cues, and work together as one to achieve the end result. (At least if you want to play well.) One could argue that this builds understanding and empathy, regardless of what pitch you are playing. Is a tuba quartet less empathetic than a piccolo group?

My guess is that this hypothesis is untested and unproven.

14. The following members say thank you to Louise NM for this post:

As a life lifelong musician and listener with selective empathy ,who is also a cynical skeptic of anything not factual. I vote hooey.

I've thought about this for a couple of minutes and I have another vote for "hooey".

Sorry, I only respond to questions if they are about me and how great I am.

18. The following members say thank you to OldSausage for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    Sorry, I only respond to questions if they are about me and how great I am.
    you mock me

I don't mind

Well, it has not been my experience that musicians who play the piccolo, sopranino clarinet, Baroque trumpet -- or the mandolin, for that matter -- are any more or less empathetic, on the average, than musicians who happen to play the tuba, double bass, or bassoon. In other words, I don't think that listening often to higher-pitched instruments makes you somehow more able to summon empathy for fellow human beings. That is WAY too simplistic and naive, to my way of thinking. And as we grow older and lose our ability to hear high frequencies, we don't tend to lose our empathy. On the contrary, many people grow more empathetic with longer life experience.

It used to be thought that singing in the higher ranges addled the mind, due to constantly shaking the brain at higher frequencies (or possibly higher amplitudes). In classical music, they have the common saying "Stupid as a soprano, dumb as a tenor." Toscanini was big on this notion. This idea, too, has been pretty thoroughly debunked. See here for a discussion of that.

So I vote "hooey" too!

As a medical professional, I take more of my cues from body language and facial expression than tone of voice. I find that my patients who are upset tend to NOT talk, rather than raise the pitch of their voice (this based on 36 years of observational experience, rather than scientific testing.) But I feel that listening music tends to make us sensitive to the emotions of others, and playing with others helps us to watch body language for cues as to what the others will be doing (always helpful for human interactions.)