Thread: Case Quandary

Default Case Quandary

I'm in something of a Goldilocks - Three Bears situation here. I'm looking for a good solid a - style hard case, and I'm stuck. I've discarded the MF hard case becauce the top is too tight (yes I know many think that it's not bad enough to be a problem, but I'm still uncomfortable with the possibility, however remote, of sinking the top). I've also passed on the Guardian durafoam case, which I liked otherwise, because the instrument rattles around loose in it. I've gravitated towards this one...

https://www.amazon.com/ProRockGear-R.../dp/B0747V91CP

as a possibility. I like it. Has anybody seen or tried or have one of these? How do you like it? Is it as good fit? Worth the price? Help please.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Default Re: Case Quandary

What about a Travelite? My A5 fit perfectly in one. I've had that Durofoam and it was OK, but the Travelite is much better.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric F. For This Useful Post:

I'm with Eric re. the Travelite cases. Anybody who's read my posts in any case thread,will know that i believe the Travelite cases to be as good as any for everyday use. I've housed all 3 of my mandolins in my Travelite over time.Currently it houses my Ellis "A" style perfectly. It also housed my Weber & my Lebeda mandolins at one time - also 'perfectly'. By 'perfectly',i mean that the mandolins fit inside the case easily,needing no force to push them into it,& they were held firmly without any excess pressure on the body.

If a Travelite is good enough for Mike Marshall's Lloyd Loar mandolin,then a Travelite is good enough for any of mine,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I had looked at the Travelite and I'd like to have a durafoam case, but I had passed on it because it is an f - style case. There's something about putting an a - style mandolin in an f - style case that just rubs me the wrong way. It seems kind of untidy.
    We are the music makers,

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    There's something about putting an a - style mandolin in an f - style case that just rubs me the wrong way. It seems kind of untidy.
    If your criteria is proven and reliable service, then the widely used Travelite case is an obvious choice. If your criteria is the more subjective esthetics of appearance, then only you can decide.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Hmmmm ... perfection in cases. Calton gets the first vote for form and function. Travelite gets the second vote. TKL gets third place with Gator coming in fourth. Lastly a recognition for Musician's Friend house brand cases...… maybe the best deal fiscally in cases. For your particular needs I would recommend https://www.amazon.com/TKL-8851-Arch...mandolin+cases R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Although they are pricey, the Collings vintage Style case is my first choice. The fit is perfect. They are well balanced. Everything about them is top notch. I own an F and an A. I have owned lots of cases over the fourty plus years that I have been playing mandolin including Calton, Pegasus, travellight, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    Hmmmm ... perfection in cases. Calton gets the first vote for form and function. Travelite gets the second vote. TKL gets third place with Gator coming in fourth. Lastly a recognition for Musician's Friend house brand cases...… maybe the best deal fiscally in cases. For your particular needs I would recommend https://www.amazon.com/TKL-8851-Arch...mandolin+cases R/
    Definitely worth considering. Thanks, I missed that one.
    We are the music makers,

Roger, just think of the scroll cut out in the Travelite as a place to store your strap

I have a recent Travelite that currently houses my Kelley A (which is my best mandolin), which came with an A shaped Guardian case that’s arch topped and would probably be fine for everyday use, but I agree there’s some extra space in that one, and I like the backpack straps on the Travelite. The new Northfield cases are a little sleeker/sexier than the Travelite, but also much more expensive, especially if you catch a Travelite on sale at Musician’s Friend.

One of the best/most secure cases I’ve had for A styles came with my since traded Collings MT (Collings’ standard case, not the high end one). It was A shaped but had extra padding that held the mandolin very securely. The Weber cases I’ve seen were also built in similar fashion. Not necessarily flight worthy, but much better than the generic cases out there. You could try placing a want add for one of those in the classifieds, and maybe someone who’s moved to a Calton or something would be willing to sell their unused one...
    Chuck

What is the mandolin you’re trying to find a case for?

Quote Originally Posted by 707erich View Post
    What is the mandolin you’re trying to find a case for?
    That's not such an easy question to answer. I started out with a Rover RM-50, but I have made some alterations. It now sports a set of Rubner tuners, MOP nut, ebony bridge, and clamshell tailpiece. I know, it's like putting an LS enginge in a VW, but it pleases me, and I can genuinely call it uniquely mine. Thus the case quandry, though. How far is too far? I obviously can't justify a $500 Carlton, but what about a $150 TKL? Or a $75 Gator? I expect to spend my Christmas money stepping up from the Fat Boy it's in now, so I'm casting about for the "sweet spot" in case design.
    We are the music makers,

I also have one of the Gator oblong hard cases, and it’s served me well since my first Mando purchase way back in 2004. Decent fit for A and F styles (though not as good as Travelite, Collings, or Weber). Latches still function like a champ, handle is in great shape, and it’s withstood some knocks with no instrument damage through the years. On a budget, it and my Travelite are the two I recommend most often. Of course, it has the F style cut out, so there’s that issue for you...
    Chuck

My mandolin flopped around like a fish out of water in a TKL. The body of mine is less than 10" so that may have some bearing. I believe the body area in a TKL is 10 1/2" and there is no place for the neck to keep it from moving sideways. The tuners wore material off the side of the case. I don't use it for that mandolin anymore.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    I also have one of the Gator oblong hard cases, and it’s served me well since my first Mando purchase way back in 2004. Decent fit for A and F styles (though not as good as Travelite, Collings, or Weber). Latches still function like a champ, handle is in great shape, and it’s withstood some knocks with no instrument damage through the years. On a budget, it and my Travelite are the two I recommend most often. Of course, it has the F style cut out, so there’s that issue for you...
    Of all the f cases, I did like that Gator a lot. Maybe I should study on my requirements some.
    We are the music makers,

I am going to second (or third or fourth) the travelite recommendation. Great protection, lightweight, fits my flatiron A perfectly. enough room for accessories, useful straps (can cart my upright bass AND my mando easily). Other than an upgrade to a Calton, I could not ask for more. I have had hard cased, and like none of them any better.

As for the A in an F concern, most case makers want to cover as broad a range of buyers with a minimum number of designs. Having travelite in A or F would drive the cost up, and it is absolutely not necessary. If I ever get an F. It will go in this travelite.

FOr some time, there was no available inventory in the US. I hope this has improved.

From Roger Moss - " Of all the f cases, I did like that Gator a lot...". Roger - is it one of these Gator cases ?. If so i also own one that houses my Weber "Fern". It's a good case,but it does suffer from some constriction in the headstock area. The scroll is a tad too close for comfort to the side of the case. I've padded it out using a wrist sweat band,just for some extra shock absobtion. Other than that it's fine - but for side protection & headstock room,the Travelite beats 'em all (IMHO),
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gator mandolin case (2).jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	170472Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lebeda in Travelite case..JPG 
Views:	240 
Size:	313.4 KB 
ID:	170473
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I thought I would weigh in on this discussion with a recommendation. My Cohen A5 came with this case which I have come to like very much - TKL Zero Gravity® Combination A / F-Style Mandolin Case.

It's very similar to a Travelite. I had one (Travelite) in the past. They may have changed the design somewhat but mine had slow breakdown at the metal clasp and I was not a big fan of the velcro covering the clasp.

At any rate, I just don't see this case mentioned much, knew nothing about it until Dave sent it out with his fine Mandolin safely tucked inside. Obviously it's not a flight case but has worked great for my needs. Larry

I have 2 Canadian wood A cases. The mandos I built are hybrids (essentially an F-5 without points or scroll) and there is quite a bit of slop in the fit. In the price range you're looking at, the Gator Journeyman case is a good option. At $90 it is quite light weight, covered white linen to reflect light, and has quite thick soft foam all around. The top arch isn't quite as stiff as the Canadian cases, but I'm not throwing it in a truck with a lot of heavy gear. I bought the F shape for my A mandolin but I keep my strap on, so I can curl it up in the scroll area

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

How much protection do you actually need?Does it have to survive traveling in the luggage compartment of a plane? Just something to keep the instrument in at home? Traveling by car to sessions etc? No sense over spending for something a lot better than you actually need,especially for an inexpensive mass produced mando. Very worst case (no pun intended),if the instrument got severely damaged,you could salvage all of your upgrade parts and transfer them to another RM-50 or other instrument.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    How much protection do you actually need?Does it have to survive traveling in the luggage compartment of a plane? Just something to keep the instrument in at home? Traveling by car to sessions etc? No sense over spending for something a lot better than you actually need,especially for an inexpensive mass produced mando. Very worst case (no pun intended),if the instrument got severely damaged,you could salvage all of your upgrade parts and transfer them to another RM-50 or other instrument.
    I'm not sure if it's amusing or what, but I have about as much in upgrades as the original instrument cost. I'd hate to have to start over, though, especially since RM-50's are getting so hard to find. My case needs are not all that great. I rarely travel, and when I do I never do so by air or rail, so battleship - level protection is not required. I just want better than mere gig bag protection, which I have a pretty good one but I'd like some structural protection too. I think setting a $100 limit should give me something decent, hence the option I asked about in my original post.
    We are the music makers,

Roger - I'm maybe a tad biased,but IMHO,unless you're going to subject your mandolin case to a bit of 'rough use' (not recomended), then a Travelite case will suit you perfectly. They're light,perfectly strong enough to hold the mandolin firmly,have plenty of headstock room for an "F" style,& are padded on the outside. The 'Ballistic grade'' Nylon covering is as tough as h*** & can't scratch or chip. Unfortunately,they're not available in the UK,or all 3 of my mandolins would be in one. As it is,if i 'play out',the mandolin that i take with me is put into my Travelite case for the duration - i trust it that much !,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Travelite case 1.JPG 
Views:	227 
Size:	163.6 KB 
ID:	170570Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Travelite case 2.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	170571
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.