Thread: Greetings! New here and just getting started...

Default Greetings! New here and just getting started...

Hullo all,

Just wanted to stop by, thank everyone here for the vast amount of information they have offered over the years to people like me who find just about all searches for "Mandolin" arrive here. Your experience and help no only helps the people you are chatting with directly, but every other person who wanders in from the wilds.

In that spirit, thought I would mention my (admittedly short) experience.

I'm just starting to learn the mandolin, and am currently playing a Lucky Penny Model LPM50E/WH. I was skeptical, since there was nearly nothing about it anywhere, and spent a day or so researching: Seems it's actually a Stagg Model M50E/WH as far as I can see.

I also ordered a cheap amazon Savannah SA-100-BK A-Model Mandolin in Black... That one came to me in pieces, due to it being packed in a giant box with nothing but one wad of paper with it. <sighs> I reassembled it and thought it might be fine at first, but the G buzzed no matter what I did. Seems the bridge was utterly shot from the string getting ripped sideways off of it and messing up the slots. Took 3 days, but finally sent it back once I got in the Lucky Penny.

As for the LP, it's perfect. No buzz, stays in nearly perfect tune, and the electric sounds good too. It may not be the best out there, but it's perfect for what I need.

I also wanted a higher end one, even if only slightly. Ordered a Loar LM-310F from Guitar Center, and should be going to pick it up today. Just to say, I've found I'm not much liking Guitar Center as a company. I'll not go into it unless asked, but enough to say they are not customer-friendly. That comes from someone who's done YEARS of customer service jobs.

Over the last week, I've learned to tune it, adjust the elements like the bridge and nut, and general maintenance.

I bought two sets of picks. One nameless cheap set, and one set of "Dunlop Primetone Triangle 1.4mm Sculpted Plectra (Grip)". I was skeptical if it would make a difference, but I have to say it's easier to grip the Dunlop.

I'm currently up to being able to strum FOUR whole chords! And I know how to get a few single notes too. I've also been turning my left hands fingertips into hamburger.

So that's where I am. I can just about badly strum "Will the Circle be unbroken" completely though while singing, which mostly comes down to raking the pick across all the string while making a G chord.

Heck, my kids and wife nearly find it tolerable now.

Default Re: Greetings! New here and just getting started...

Hearty welcome to the forum group. Sounds like you're well planted on the windy, fun and interesting path of mandolin madness. Looking forward to virtually bumping into you along the way.

If you don't like the Guitar Center experience, send it back and order the same mandolin from one of our sponsors. It will come with a setup far exceeding the cost.botherwise get the Rob Meldrum free e book and set it up yourself.

The single most important advise for a new player I'd having a good setup. The cheaper the mandolin, the more work is needed.

Then you can tackle the hard part, playing the thing.

Welcome
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Welcome aboard. I'm betting that once you get that Loar and get it set up, that Savannah (a decidedly low end instrument) will not seem like such a bargain any more. Definitely consider sending it back. Somebody suggested you contact Rob Meldrum for his ebook on mandolin setup. I urge you to do this, especially if you intend to set your new Loar up yourself. If you go that route, you'll be glad you did it that way. That Loar should satisfy you until you can shop the MC classifieds or vendors for something that will last. You're beginning a journey that will be both enjoyable and satisfying. Enjoy.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Good luck with your new adventure. I purchased a The Loar 310F from the Guitar Center and it was not set up. You will need to do it yourself or have an experienced technician handle the job. Happy picking and strumming.

Blog Entries

Welcome FF, happy to have you here.

'Tis an adventure. Watch out for MAS. It's highly contagious.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Thank, and I've already been Looking at multiple setup documentations, and filtering the facts carefully. I'll not that as another resource, though.

... But I have an odd situation...

After all the trouble ordering the Lore 310f, (them shipping it from the warehouse, as opposed to selling me the one in the store, a ton of other issues) I got the mandolin in.

I was starting to setup and tune it, and I noticed something. The Fret was not a hard cut at the joint.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/The-Loa...le-Mandolin.gc

It was a curved taper...

https://www.guitarcenter.com/The-Loa...97873814885.gc

It's a 520. Just checked the model number inside.

It's been a crazy week.

Wait. Are you saying you ordered a 310 and they sent you a 520? That's a major blunder by GC. Major score for you..
    We are the music makers,

Yup. Sent from the factory, and then handed over the counter to me. Like I said. Crazy.

Well, just finished tuning.

It's not like it's 100x better then the $150 model, but I can notably tell a difference in the resonance. At the same time, the $150 has a builtin pickup for use with amps, so plus on that side.

I bought a stickon pickup for this new one, but not sure if I want to stick anything to it. $250 mandolin wouldn't bother me to add a pickup. On this? Hesitation is the word of the day.

Oh, and now I have to buy a hardcase. I don't trust the softcase with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Frost View Post
    Yup. Sent from the factory, and then handed over the counter to me. Like I said. Crazy.
    Scoresville! Where is this place? I gotta go there.
    We are the music makers,

Congrats on getting your mandolin and welcome to the cafe!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305