Thread: USB microphone for recording to PC

Default USB microphone for recording to PC

I have a home recording system that is simple for me but complicate for a friend.
    My system consists of a Lambda Lexicon USB audio device, a BOSS micro recorder which is used as a microphone with built in vocal effects. (it can be used as portable multi track recorder with very good audio quality).
    I use Audacity to record multi track with this setup including vocal and the result is very satisfactory (would be ideal if I found a good vocal effect).

I realize that a good USB microphone can replace both (the USB audio capture device and the BOSS recorder) for multi track recording on PC. (MAKING IT SIMPLE)

I am sure many of you have use USB microphone for recording on PC.

Question:
    1) is recording quality good enough ?
    2) what would be a good USB microphones to buy (from low cost to high cost)

I appreciate any input on this before spending money to buy one USB microphone for my friend.

Default Re: USB microphone for recording to PC

With the BOSS recorder, I recently discovered that I could transfer WAV files between this recorder and the computer. This allows me to copy music track to the recorder, then record vocal or instrument as another track (up to 3 more tracks). Then copy all these tracks back to the PC for editing with Audacity, much easier than edit with the little recorder.
    However, recording using Audacity gives me good view of what is happening. That is why I switch to recording using Audacity. the BOSS micro is used for recording only when I am on on the road.

I have Audio-Technica AT2020USBi which works very well. The price is $199.00 at sweetwater.com -- it comes with the mic, a USB cable to plug into the computer, a USB-to-lightning connector for use with iOS devices, a desktop tripod and a mount for a mic stand. This is strictly a USB (or USB-to-lightning) mic -- the only connector on the mic is a mini USB jack. Great sound!

For a cheap USB mic I use the CAD U37. Good enough to make recordings for our FB page. It's a good value I think.
    https://www.amazon.com/CAD-U37-Conde.../dp/B001AIQGUO

If I wanted to invest a little more I would go with Apogee Mic
    http://www.apogeedigital.com/blog/ap...indows-and-mac
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

My opinion only, but don't "go the USB route" for your friend or yourself.

Better to get a USB interface with at least 2 XLR inputs, and a "regular" mic that has an XLR connector (or two of them).

Focusrite has some nice ones at very reasonable cost.

I also like Steinberg.

If you're determined to go USB, make sure you get a mic that also has a headphone jack with a volume control.
    Otherwise, latency when multi-tracking could become a problem. Some folks can tolerate the latency more than others.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J.Albert For This Useful Post:

+1 on don’t go usb get an interface like a scarlet
    " Practice every time you get a chance." - Bill Monroe

8. The following members say thank you to AMandolin for this post:

The Blue Yeti has an internal low-or-no-latency monitoring jack for 1/8" stereo headphones and internal gain control on the mic preamp, and some other wacky features.
    It's OK. Nothing I'd use for multitracking, though. The quality I get with some basic small-diaphragm condensers and a AudioBox USB or FocusRite Scarlett is far superior to what I get from the Yeti. I just use the Yeti for recording voiceover on tutorials though, and it is convenient for that.

Adding a +1 to the Focusrite recommendation, particularly the Scarlet 2i2. This little box is a sweetheart for the money.

Mac users might get a lot of mileage out of the Apogee One or Duet series. I particularly like the built-in condenser mic on the One.

You will get better quality and versatility with an audio input interface and a selection of mics vs a usb.

You may also suffer from Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) which rivals MAS. In your original post you mentioned "good enough". I guess the question is good enough for what! You can do a lot with USB mics. They are better than they used to be. You can do more with interface + mics. The thing about GAS is you're always trying to find the bottle neck...do I need more inputs, more mics, better pres, etc etc. Where is my weakest point? It's fun
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

+1 for the Audiobox USB
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

While not quite as simple, a highly versatile option is to use a portable recorder (Zoom/Tascam). Most of these have a built-in audio interface that allows it to be used as a USB mic/audio interface. The only real annoyance is that you need to click through a few options to get them into audio interface mode.

I use mine like this for a portable setup. The sound quality is not outstanding, but it is comparable to most USB mics. I can also plug in standard mics and it has phantom power. I think this is the most versatile piece of gear for the money.

In this case I would be looking at the Zoom H4n, H5 or H6. These all have XLR inputs.

Of note. Most plug and play USB interfaces(and mics) operate at 16bits. There is an advantage to something that is 24 bit. Especially if you do much processing.

For a dedicated interface one more vote for the Scarlet Interface.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger