Thread: Mandolin strings

Default Mandolin strings

What is the difference in medium, heavy, etc....when it comes to mandolin strings.....recommendations?
    I’m new to playing mandolin so I’m figuring everything out as I go! Thank you for any help!!
    Last edited by Podunavac; Aug-19-2018 at 8:56am. Reason: Additional questions

Default Re: Mandolin strings

Light, medium, heavy, refers to the string diameter, (thickness). What to use might depend on the type of mandolin you're playing, the type of music you like to play and/or your personal preference for the sound your looking for. Welcome to the Mandolin Cafe!
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

What Willkamm says is right on the mark. I will suggest that since you're new to mandolin you may do well to use light gauge strings to get started. While you are learning the elemental basics there is no need to struggle with a heavier gauge of string. You can always go to progressively heavier strings after you get going and know a few things.

Without knowing more about your instrument, playing style, or musical taste, any answer will be very generalized. In brief, guage referrs to thickness or "heaviness" of the strings. "Heavier" strings are generally louder and make less expensive instruments or instruments with thicker tops sound louder and project better. They are harder on the fingertips owing to higher tension and are not recommended for older instruments or instruments without truss rods. "Lighter" strings are easier to fret and therefore less uncomfortable to play, but generally sound finer and less robust, but are less stressful on the neck owing to less tension. Keep in mind these are generalities and people will usually differ on some points. Also, you will probably have to experiment with some different strings to find what you like. There are many factors at play here, and even different brands and different materials in the same guage can sound very different.

Okay, now that I've thoroughly confused you, enjoy your new journey. We all did and do.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Thank you!! My instrument is a Kentucky KM 750...... My plans are bluegrass gospel! I appreciate your response!!
    Last edited by Podunavac; Aug-19-2018 at 10:30am. Reason: Addition

I would think a medium gauge would work for you. As far as which brand, that is a journey we all have taken. Since mandolin strings are relatively inexpensive buy a few sets and see what sounds best to your ear. Good luck and welcome to our little family.

I second the medium guage for your Kentucky. I've found that Elixir nano-coated strings are very good and they last longer than some of the other brands I've used. Have fun.

You'll also want to give D'Addario EJ-74's a look. They get rave reviews here. They also come in a coated version, the CXM types, if that's what you're looking for. Many also swear by GHS.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

+1 on the D'Addario EJ-74 strings.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

since you'll probably be changing your strings every three or four months -- depending on your body chemistry, use, the humidity and personal preference, don't be worried about buying a set that you may not like after you've had it on for a bit. They're easily changed. You can even build a set from scratch by buying individual weights from something like strings.com. Personally, I use a coated string like the elixers in the summer when everything's damp and an uncoated set -- ej74s -- for the colder months, so your options aren't permanent. it's all what you like, what your instrument likes -- yes, they do have preferences -- and where you play.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Try ALL the D'Addario's then compare others as necessary. Like picks,it's good to try them all.