Thread: New here--pick question

Default New here--pick question

Hello, I'm new here, and new to the mandolin. My primary instrument since 1980 has been electric bass, so I'm finding the transition considerable, not only in scale length but in terms of tuning in fifths versus fourths. I bought a cheap Rogue A-style (immediately replaced the strings and did some palliative setup work) while I keep an eye open for an affordable bowl-back, as my main attraction to mandolin is Southern Italian folk songs (my grandfather came to the US from the Amalfi Coast in 1916, so there may be some genetic memory at play).

I have a specific question about picks. I'm understanding that a sharp pointed pick is preferred by most for this style of music, and to that end I did some searching for Pettine-style picks and the closest and only option I can find is the Pickboy somewhat elongated heart-shaped pick (only one weight, .75mm?). Is that it, short of me getting a sheet of celluloid or synthetic material and making my own?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0874.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	377.2 KB 
ID:	170316

Here are just a few of the many, many picks I have around the house, including my homemade Pettine-shaped pick made from tortoiseshell. (I don't want to open that can of worms; suffice it to say the piece of shell was given to me many years ago and had been cut from a 1920s tea tray. I was unaware that new uses of grandfathered material are also verboten before coming across that discussion here on MC the other day. I won't be looking for any more of this material.) My admittedly extremely limited experience so far has me liking the Pettine shape over the standard 351 shape or the larger triangle.

I'm thinking that there just has to be more options out there and I just haven't found them yet. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Meanwhile, I'll go and check to see if my local acoustic music shop has the Pickboy pick to try out. (I'm apprehensive that I'll find it too thin; my homemade pick above is a bit over 1mm at the grip end, and just under a millimeter at the tip.)

Thanks!
    --Bob Farace

2. The following members say thank you to Farace for this post:

Default Re: New here--pick question

Have a look at the D’Andrea Pro Plecs.
    Pava S/N 21
    Calace Bowlback

4. The following members say thank you to Peter Coronado for this post:

Farace 

I have 3 picks I use with my bowlback. The every day pick is a D'Andrea 358 celluloid teardrop. Next is the Clayton Ultem teardrop. The final is a Dogal PM3 teardrop. It's probably the only production pick shaped similar to the Pettine. However, it's a touch too flimsy and I wish they made them thicker. I use it a a pattern pick sometimes.

And welcome to the best little forum on earth.

6. The following members say thank you to minuteman for this post:

Farace 

There is no fixed rule -- as with pick choices on other mandolins or guitars, personal preference also applies to bowlbacks. Generally, classical players prefer thinner picks over thicker ones and pointed over rounded, but that still covers a lot of ground. I find the very pointed Pettine shape gives too thin a sound. I've tried quite a lot of picks, but for my bowlbacks always come back to a standard 0.88mm Jim Dunlop nylon guitar pick. For my picking action and my instruments/strings, it has the right compromise between smooth attack and bright tone. Yours may vary.

Martin

8. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

Farace 

- Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

10. The following members say thank you to derbex for this post:

Farace 

Wegen makes a nice pick. Check them out at one of the Cafe's advertisers.

12. The following members say thank you to Denny Gies for this post:

Farace 

I've been playing the mandolin since 1980. I use a Jim Dunlap 1mm (black) nylon pick for practice and rehearsals, and a Brain/Snarling Dogs 1.mm (orange) pick for mandocello/guitar.

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dogal picks are standard issue in the Italian conservatories. They're also very popular amongst my Italian mandolin friends:
    https://www.stringsbymail.com/guitar...in-picks-2976/

The #2 pick is the most commonly used. The #3 is heavier. The #1 is lighter, and was designed for early-music instruments (according to the folks I spoke to at the Dogal factory).

At first these may seem soft, but as your technique adjusts your hands will find ways to get the most from them. I still use the Dogal picks sometimes, but usually prefer something a little more extended.
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to August Watters For This Useful Post:

And you can use Ultex/ultem sharp .73mm picks - these work very well for my Italian playing.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    And you can use Ultex/ultem sharp .73mm picks - these work very well for my Italian playing.
    David, what is the Ultem "sharp"? Don't see that on their website. I like the Ultex material a lot since it produces a full sound without filtering out the highs, but for me the teardrop shape is too short, and the guitar-pick shape is too wide. (I've cut them down with good results.) Am I missing something?

And "Ultem" is just a new version of "ultex," right? No explanation on the website that I can see.
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

19. The following members say thank you to August Watters for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by August Watters View Post
    David, what is the Ultem "sharp"? Don't see that on their website. I like the Ultex material a lot since it produces a full sound without filtering out the highs, but for me the teardrop shape is too short, and the guitar-pick shape is too wide. (I've cut them down with good results.) Am I missing something?
    As far as overall shape, no, you are not missing something. I may have confused the trade names for the pick materials.
    The picks I refer to are these:

It's still standard guitar pick width, but even more pointed.

Dunlop and Clayton have similar picks. Dunlop calls them "Ultex" and Clayton calls them "Ultem" but it's the same material.

The Clayton "Spike" version looks like this:

I've had great success with these picks. I assume you can cut them, but as a guitarist i have no problem using them as is on guitar, mandolin, Greek bouzouki, Cuban tres, etc.

I need a thicker pick for Gypsy jazz guitar.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Thank you, everyone. I ordered a few of the Dogal picks in different weights, and will check local shops for some of the others.
    --Bob Farace

If you would like to delve deeper into making a Rogue play better, scope out this thread:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...by-Rob-Meldrum
    Rob has put together a phenomenal guide to setting up a mandolin from ground zero. I have a Rogue down at my Mom's house in Florida I intend to tweak when I get down there.
    Rob Ross
    Apple Valley, Minne-SOH-tah

1996 Flatiron A5-Performer, 1915 Gibson F-2 (loaned to me by a friend), 2008 Kentucky Master KM-505 A-Model
    1925 Bacon Peerless tenor banjo (Irish tuning), 1985 Lloyd Laplant F-5, 2021 Ibanez PFT2 Tenor Guitar (GDAE)
    and of course, the 1970 Suzuki-Violin-Sha Bowl Back Taterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Ross View Post
    If you would like to delve deeper into making a Rogue play better, scope out this thread:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...by-Rob-Meldrum
    Rob has put together a phenomenal guide to setting up a mandolin from ground zero. I have a Rogue down at my Mom's house in Florida I intend to tweak when I get down there.
    Yes, I have Rob's e-book; it's a great resource and he's very generous for giving it away. I sanded the feet of the bridge to better match the belly of the beast. Then on measuring the action after lowering the bridge all the way, I was surprised to find the nut came from the factory cut rather low (.009 on the treble side and .010 on the bass side), and the action at the twelfth fret is about 1.5 mm. No buzzing. I guess they accidentally set this one up well. I'm tempted to make a new maple bridge per Hollis Easter's website, but I'm not in a rush.

And now I have a bowlback that should be arriving next week, made by Vincenzo Miroglio & Figli. I know from reading on here that it's not a highly thought-of brand, but it seems to be in clean, solid condition. Here's hoping the action is reasonable and the neck angle hasn't sunk.

I received the Dogal picks, and I'm surprised at how flexible they are, even the no. 3.
    --Bob Farace