Thread: Changed embed code for YouTube in Social Groups

Blog Entries

Default Changed embed code for YouTube in Social Groups

In the last few days I have been going back through videos I posted in the Newbies social group, our Tune of the Month threads. Today I noticed that some of my videos were no longer embedded in older threads. On editting those old posts to re-embed the videos, I could see that the embed code was still there but it was being ignored. So I re-embedded and found that the embed code is now different from what it used to be. The new embed code works fine.

The old code looked like this:
    [video=youtube_share;PCkZKvg3650]https://youtu.be/PCkZKvg3650[/video]

The new code looks like this:
    [YOUTUBE]PCkZKvg3650[/YOUTUBE]

Of course, you don't have to type in all that stuff, the YouTube button does everything except supply the parameter after the = sign.

If Firefox should handle both it doesn't.

Anyway, if you have any videos posted using the YouTube button, you might want to find the post and check if they are still visible. BTW, the bbcode inserted for embedding via the plan vanilla video button seems to have not changed.

edit: I just checked -- the most recent post where I detected this problem is mid or late October 2017.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Blog Entries

Default Re: Changed embed code for YouTube in Social Groups

I have done some more detective work on this so I add the following --

I found one instance of my use of the older "problematic" bbcode which actually shows the embedded video. That one was posted November 17, 2017.

The last instance of my use of the older "problematic" bbcode which which does not show the embedded video was October 31, 2017.

I saw at least one pre-November2017 instance of an embedded video that was showing a properly sized, but empty, frame. The poster mentioned in that post that it was a Vimeo embed.

I saw evidence of missing videos in many other posts to our Tune of the Month threads. Since I cannot edit others' posts, I don't know the bbcode used in those posts, but the showed the same symptoms as mine -- the poster says "here is a video ..." but there is no video visible. Other posters, including me, then comment on various aspects of the video as if they had viewed it.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

Blog Entries

You'll need to provide the web addresses of these before I can assess what the coding was and if it was done correctly. The coding on this almost never changes and we haven't touched it in ages. You'll note that the original instructions including the BB coding from 2011 still works. It has not changed since that date. See: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...o-Videos-Redux.

Blog Entries

Ahh, yes. Thank you. Now I remember reading those instructions at some point and changing the way I embedded videos to the way documented in your link. Must have been last year, right?

Anyway, maybe this will serve as a heads up and/or reminder. We members can edit our Social Group posts to re-embed videos properly. Unfortunately, I don't think we can edit our older forum posts.

Thanks for the response and reminder.

Thanks!

If I use the little filmstrip "Insert Video" up there next to the last above, I still get..

(brackets replaced with parens so it won't expand here)

(video=youtube_share;-RlvqWbSYLA)https://youtu.be/-RlvqWbSYLA(/video)

...which doesn't work. Just displays nothing.

I have to manually type (youtube=-RlvqWbSYLA)(/youtube)

It works..sortof..but displays a square (cropped) image, not the correct 16:9 widedescreen a regular <iframe> embed does.

Edit: I see when it starts playing, it does show a smaller widescreen constrained by the square frame.
    Last edited by robbif; Sep-04-2018 at 8:57pm.

Quote Originally Posted by robbif View Post
    Thanks!

If I use the little filmstrip "Insert Video" up there next to the last above, I still get..

(brackets replaced with parens so it won't expand here)

(video=youtube_share;-RlvqWbSYLA)https://youtu.be/-RlvqWbSYLA(/video)

...which doesn't work. Just displays nothing.

I have to manually type (youtube=-RlvqWbSYLA)(/youtube)

It works..sortof..but displays a square (cropped) image, not the correct 16:9 widedescreen a regular <iframe> embed does.

Edit: I see when it starts playing, it does show a smaller widescreen constrained by the square frame.
    Are you ever going to fix the "Insert Video" filmstrip icon above?
    Or please explain why it still generates the code as in the example above.
    Please help!

EDIT: sorry you're having trouble. If you follow the instructions provided in the BB Code it has always worked. Here's a link to your video using the same submit tool you claim doesn't work. This appears to be a usage issue on your end so we will consider the matter now closed. Please refer to the instructions we provided in 2011 that still show those videos viewable inserted at that time
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Oct-12-2018 at 10:56am.