Thread: MAS Already. I just got back to playing! MD514 or 614?

Default MAS Already. I just got back to playing! MD514 or 614?

Yes It's always just lurking waiting to spring out.

I was talking to the Mandolin store about the Eastman MD514 and the MD614 the 614 has pickups and more binding. Anyone know if the tone is much different? I can hear much difference through my laptop speakers . Brain didn't seem to think there was much difference if any . Just the pickups and the binding. Seems like the 614 is a good value.

Any advise?
    Giving this another try.

Default Re: MAS Already. I just got back to playing! MD514 or 614?

Brian would never steer you wrong. plus if Bill Monroe could get by with out pickups I would think you can to. just step up to the microphone & play the old school way.

3. The following members say thank you to mandolin tony for this post:

I pulled the trigger on the MD614 . I think the pickup will come in handy at church. I like the binding on the back as well. I purchased it from Brian at the Mandolin Store. Brian was patient and very helpful. Should have it this time next week.
    Giving this another try.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lou Giordano For This Useful Post:

Great store to visit too. A real education.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Good call on the pickup. At first, I had no interest in plugging in, but apparently I've listened to too much Infamous Stringdusters, Greensky Bluegrass, Yonder Mountain, etc...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MediumMando5722 For This Useful Post:

I got the 615 and like Chris says I didn't have any interest in the pickup, but it does sound cool through my Acoustisonic Jr. amp.
    "All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain

Eastman MD615SB
    Martin D35
    Gibson SG

10. The following members say thank you to Mando Mort for this post:

Good choice. A pickup is always nice to have available. Depending on the situation, it's just easier to plug in rather than find a mic.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Mandolin store is great, and I am an Eastman fan too.

I have the MD505, bought it solely for the pickup, and it sounds fantastic, or with some processing it can. I have an older model with the schertler resocoil, I assume the new one is good too. I wondered if a $200 pickup in a $500+ instrument was overkill at first but now I really like that Eastman puts good pickups in their instruments.

As a part-time sound guy I've dealt with my share of bad pickups on guitars, and some just can't be fixed on the board. For the MD505, the output level is pretty weak, so I use a preamp.

I actually use my zoom MS-60B (a bass pedal) for everything, since it works fine for mandolin and bass which are my mains these days, one pedal to rule them all. :-)

Frankly, I have never met a pickup that didn't need a little fixup. So I spent a long time with a looper pedal getting my sound out of a PA to match my acoustic sound.

I ended up using EQ, a smidge of compression (makes the melodic lines pop over comping patterns), and bumped up the signal level up to active pickup levels.

For EQ, it's a low cut at 200 hz (right at the low G string's fundamental) and a slight treble shelving boost at 2.5khz - the resocoil loses a smidge of highs, so I put them back in. The low cut was necessary because the resocoil was picking up thumps and amplifying them considerably above acoustic levels, no surprise there in retrospect, just like bumping a mic. I didn't notice until I put it through a powerful PA to see what it would sound like amplifed.

As a sound guy, I prefer pickups over mics for when possible, nothing like a perfect rehearsal, but live they get exited and move around, or stand farther away from the mic. Mics are great for things that don't move, like pianos and drums, and most vocalists will hold a mic in their hand pretty steady, and the ones that don't I yell at, err, I mean coach them.

I also appreciate a properly adjusted pickup/preamp. Few guitarists will take the trouble (or know how) to dial in their sound before coming to the stage. As a result, we have guitarists all over the map, some sound great, some are hopeless, and many don't know how to operate even simple treble/bass knobs on a Taylor guitar, and come in with them set to no bass, massive treble boost, or a massive treble cut:

Sound Guy: "Please set your knobs on the guitar to flat"

Guitarist: "what?"

SG: "point them all that way."

G "which way?"

SG "straight up"

G "which way is up?"

Yes, I have had those conversations... :-)

Most guitar players are willing to listen though, you just have to be nice about it, they really do care about their sound.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Wow kurth83. Lots of good info. I'm jealous, I wish my hearing was good enough to pick up on all that .

My new MD614 has the K&K pickup. Don't even know which one. I may find out today. It ships today from AZ to NJ hopefully it won't melt in this heat.
    Giving this another try.

Well a little disappointment today . I ordered the MD614 on Friday but it turns out it's out of stock. It's been that kind of a day all around. Brian was great and promised to make it up to me when the new version comes in. We will have to wait and see what the new version is like.
    Giving this another try.

Well.........that kinda sucks
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scott View Post
    Well.........that kinda sucks
    Yep it sure does.
    Giving this another try.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Lou!

What happened to the Fern?
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    Lou!

What happened to the Fern?
    Hey Nick, It's really good to see that you're still here. I had to sell the Fern way back when we messaged last. I haven't played since due to tremors. I had Essential tremors and nerve problems in my neck. I had some treatments, nerve blocks and I had to get off the meds for the tremors. The Lord had mercy on me, I couldn't even write ,but now I can and I am getting back to playing. Hands not cooperating like I wish but I can play a little. I have a The Loar and I just bought a Weber Oval from the Mandolin store.
    https://themandolinstore.com/product...vintage-style/

How are you?
    Giving this another try.

19. The following members say thank you to Lou Giordano for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bowsman View Post
    Good call on the pickup. At first, I had no interest in plugging in, but apparently I've listened to too much Infamous Stringdusters, Greensky Bluegrass, Yonder Mountain, etc...
    I listen to them just enough to know it ain't what I want to play. I love real acoustic mandolin!

Blog Entries

If what you are describing is true, this is terrible news. MAS is not only relentless, it is cyclical! You work your way all the way up as far as you can afford. And then you start over!
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com