Thread: Stanley, Newson, Kimble F5 Opinions?

Default Stanley, Newson, Kimble F5 Opinions?

Very interested in all three builders and I'm looking for input from owners or anyone who's had a chance to A-B (or C) any of these mandolins. Tone, fit/finish, etc. I've read every thread on the Cafe that I can find on each builder, and recognize that all 3 are highly sought after and not typically readily available to purchase (i.e., I probably couldn't go wrong with any of them).

Based on my research it seems that the Stanley is typically going to be the most traditional of the three (strong mid range), possibly followed by the later year Kimble mandos, with the Newson (possibly) being the most "modern" sounding. Stanley is going to have a flat fingerboard, with Kimble and Newson likely radiused.

Anyways, any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    1994 Flatiron F-5 Artist
    1995 Flatiron Performer A

https://www.slimpickinsband.com

Default Re: Stanley, Newson, Kimble F5 Opinions?

A couple things you may find with Kimble ... I suspect fingerboards will all be flat, not radiused. At least every one I've seen has been flat, including my A5. You may only be able to find a Kimble F5 as a used instrument. I believe Will is only building A's and 2-Points currently. FWIW, my 2017 A5 is spectacular and does everything I could possibly want for BG and Fiddle tunes. Good luck.
    “Without music, life would be a mistake” Neitzsche

Collings MF5-V
    Kimble A5
    An electric rig with an envelope filter trying to sound like Jerry...

Over the last 15 years I've had a Newson A5, Kimble A5, Kimble J5 (two point), and a Stanley F5. All three are top notch with regard to quality, fit, etc.

My Newson was custom ordered with a slightly wider nut width and I requested a darker tone to the voicing. Paul delivered on both. If I didn't direct the mandolin that way, I'm sure he could have built a more "traditional" sounding and feeling instrument. I sold the instrument when I was wanting a brighter tone and thinner neck.

The Kimbles and Stanley that I've had were similar in tone and neck shape, and I like all aspects of them.

FWIW, of these, I only have the Stanley now. Though I'd be just as happy with the two point Kimble...I went through a fair amount of horse-trading a few years back and the Stanley was remaining when the dust settled.

4. The following members say thank you to djweiss for this post:

My Kimble F5 has a radiused board and a scooped Florida extension . It is one of the all around best sounding mandolins I’ve ever played.
    " Practice every time you get a chance." - Bill Monroe

The OP asked about folks who've had direct hands on comparison and I haven't, so I'll start by saying, as has been said, all three are great. My Newson is simply fabulous. Incredible tone, volume, response, aesthetic and ease of playing. It fires on all cylinders and I know of several really good mandolin players who play them. The neck and radius and varnish finish are all just right. Others may feel the same about the other two builders. You might be happy with any one of the builders and not look back.

7. The following members say thank you to Luna Pick for this post:

On a related note- has anyone played an older Newson (nitro finish- late 90s and earlier) vs his newer models? Any notable differences?
    1994 Flatiron F-5 Artist
    1995 Flatiron Performer A

https://www.slimpickinsband.com

i can't speak to Newson or Kimble. Chris made an A5 for me in 2012 with very plain and elegant features, including a radiused board and ebony binding on top and fret board with EVO frets. It took some 3 years to break in but was well worth it. Yes, it has the trademark Loar midrange in spades, with great highs and just enough bass, which is all what i wanted. The G and D string have that "rattle" tone that i hear in the Monroe batch Loars.

Mandolins that came and went while i've had the Stanley: a good '24 Gibson A snakehead, C E Ward A5, a Smart A5, and a really good Girouard mandola. All very good instruments, but they came and went because the Stanley has that something extra in tone. The only other mandolin i have is a '56 Martin A that was rescued from Gruhn's and reworked; if you can imagin a classical bowl back meets dreadnaught kind of sound.

While the Stanley is a well made mandolin, Chris' priority is about getting the Loar tone (he's owned 3) than obsessing over perfect looks. His mandolins have been very consistent since about #30. Mine is #62. It took some 3 years for the bottom 4 notes on the G strings to come into their own, and now they're just right with not too much low to get lost with other instruments. i've played some good sounding Ellis, Red Diamond, and Heiden mandolins, and i'm more than satisfied with this Stanley. i don't want a second ff mandolin. The Martin A covers the classical tunes but i wouldn't mind having a really splendid sounding oval A someday with narrow neck.

In the looks department, Chris is exceptionally gifted with getting a 3-D stain. You can look into the wood thru the varnish and see beautiful things. Once you see it you'll be spoiled. Few do it as well, and no one, and i do mean no one, does stain better.

Education is expensive, and i've learned that a good Stanley leaves me wanting for nothing. i hope you take time enough to find what will stand the test of time. Good pickin' and listening to ya....dan

10. The following members say thank you to dan in va for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MissingString View Post
    A couple things you may find with Kimble ... I suspect fingerboards will all be flat, not radiused. At least every one I've seen has been flat, including my A5. You may only be able to find a Kimble F5 as a used instrument. I believe Will is only building A's and 2-Points currently. FWIW, my 2017 A5 is spectacular and does everything I could possibly want for BG and Fiddle tunes. Good luck.
    Just a heads up. Will recently told me he is currently making F models.

Cheers,

Bill

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bradshaw For This Useful Post:

Ican't help with th comparisons;just a "Me too" on the radiused FB, Kimble A5 #12. Wheel's first black top varnish.(I think)

I requested the black A5 to pay homage to Tim O's Nugget.

Enjoy your mando-journey!