Thread: Marshall Mandolin Summit 2018

Default Marshall Mandolin Summit 2018

I had a great time attending the 2018 Marshall Mandolin Summit last week!

Months ago when I registered I had no real idea of what to expect, and now in retrospect I am super glad I did it. I have been playing mandolin a long time but have never taken a lesson in my life. There was definitely something for all levels of players.

I have a number of things I want to share and some pictures that I want to post but don't have time right now to get it all in, so I will be updating this thread with some pics and different stories as I get the time here...

The first night, after dinner I found myself in a jam session back at the shop, and at one point I looked up and the circle included Mike Marshall, Don Stiernberg, Don Julin and Ethan Setiawan (IIRC) and several attendees of the Summit. It was a little intimidating seeing your mandolin heroes up close, but everyone was really accepting and my second rate picking was accepted right along their jaw dropping talents! Great first night I forgot to even take my phone out for pictures.

The people I met were really the coolest part of the summit, in addition to the artists that were performing they had some really talented musicians (including the aforementioned Ethan Setiawan); Jacob Warner on bass, Grant Flick on violin, Louise (?) on violin, and some others who I am sorry I can't recall all the names... They really added a lot to the music all weekend long.
    The Northfield crew was really awesome - Adrian, Peter, Derek, Kjell, Dino, Kosuke (and others I am forgetting to mention). I was able to ask questions all weekend, had a shop tour, basically they opened up a collection of Northfield mandolins to try out (including Ocatves, more on that later...) and even a new flat top model. I was blown away by the sound they are able to get, and that impression remained with me even after playing the northfield line against a Pava, Ellis, several Collings and whatever else they had in inventory when I visited Elderly the day after the summit.
    My fellow attendees were super cool too, all levels of talent represented in all genres of music! I won't throw out any names but please feel free to chime in if you want! The mandolins I got to play and the people I met are a part of the weekend I will always remember. Where else can you go and the entire room full of people to discuss mandolin choice, pick selection, setups and anything else you can think of!

I don't want this introduction to get too long, and as I said I will post some pictures and more stories soon (as I get time)...
    Long story short:
    Marshall Michigan is a cool little town
    Food is as important as music for this kind of event (and they went over the top)
    Seeing your musical heroes in a casual setting and impromptu jams is unbelievable
    Northfield mandolins have some serious tone and a team capable of making it work
    Meeting fellow mandolin players and sharing these cool experiences with the people who get it is priceless
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dang For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Marshall Mandolin Summit 2018

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8761B89C-7A7E-4530-9E26-DA9D34A2C762.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	499.3 KB 
ID:	170287

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dang For This Useful Post:

Mike Marshall & Caterina Lichtenberg

What can I say about Mike? He makes it all look easy, even playing a mando-cello. Great to meet him, a fixture all weekend and I sat in on his choro class. Learned enough to know I want to get more involved in choro. Very nice and approachable, seems like he made everyone feel at home all weekend.

I wish I had sat in on one of Caterina's classes. I went into the weekend thinking I wouldn't enjoy the classical sections as much for some reason but when the entire group did a classical piece for the performance on Sunday it was one of my favorite things of the weekend. Really felt like we made music. As a performer she really is a virtuoso. She and Mike played the first track off of their new album to open the Saturday night concert and it was a highlight of the weekend.

And if you like mandolins you should get their new album, it is really tastefully done.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dang For This Useful Post:

Name:	D29A5AD0-E4D4-41DE-A34E-C969A4E563F9.jpeg 
Views:	85 
Size:	621.1 KB 
ID:	170306
    I knew little about Don Julin going into the summit weekend, but I walked away with a heck of a lot of respect for the guy. Down to earth and approachable he really gets down to the nitty-gritty details but in a way you can follow. Like he shows you the forrest wothout getring lost in the trees. I wish I had been able to learn from him when I was starting out. Going to have to go through his materials just because I think his approach would teach me a lot.

Oh yeah, and he puts on a good show! He said something like, “I like to play simple stuff that sounds cool” and that is a great way to describe what he does, what sounds cool.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dang For This Useful Post:

I have to correct your original post. "..second rate picking was accepted.." should read ".. excellent picking was welcomed.." At least in my opinion!

It was a cool long weekend, was great to meet you and all the others. The highlights were numerous, the food excellent, and the mandolin fellowship was top notch. It was great to be able to spend a weekend with 30 plus mandolin pickers, interspersed with numerous mandolin heroes, talented youngsters and a great staff.

And that Northfield A5 Special, eh?
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

10. The following members say thank you to Gary Leonard for this post:

dang 

Blog Entries

Dang, dang. Dang great photos.

I ordered a T shirt, but I wasn't there. Wish I had been.

Thanks for the report.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Dang. Jealous.

Sounds like a wonderful time.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Leonard View Post
    ....And that Northfield A5 Special, eh?
    Hi Gary! Thanks for the kind words, I think we all feel like going back to the drawing board with our picking when we get to see the professionals up close... I am just hoping I can get some choro under my belt so I can hang with you next time! It was good to meet.

Yes, that was some A5 special! And I went to Elderly the day after the summit, they had a Northfield A5 M model that was also killer. They are doing something right at Northfield for sure.

Of course I didn’t leave Elderly empty handed...

Name:	36F55FA4-3C87-46F2-8871-7869979BBD75.jpeg 
Views:	76 
Size:	746.7 KB 
ID:	170323

I have no idea why/how the image is upsidown?!? I guess it is somehow appropriate for this charachter

How about this guy? Don Steirnberg was a really fun mando player to meet. His jokes and stories were great, and such a nice guy. And woah, when he gets going with the mando! What chops! That full sound of the chord melody coming at you is really something. I feel I was able to absorb some stuff from Don also - his teaching style really approachable, and if you need printed materials he can keep you busy.

I typically try and play bluegrass/newgrass but Don made me want to learn some jazz and swing. There is definitely some good stuff to assimilate into any playing style. A few workshops with Don and I had some new chord shapes to work into my picking. 6ths and diminisheds no longer intimidate me!

[QUOTE=dang;1671480

Of course I didn’t leave Elderly empty handed...[/QUOTE]

Don't keep us all in suspense. Do tell.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

2 classes with Catarina on the right hand was a pretty fabulous. It was a little stunning to see her play arpeggios full speed from 3 ft away.

Oh, that Northfield f2s on the wall followed me home
    Last edited by Paul Opperman; Aug-19-2018 at 5:26pm. Reason: Typo

Isn't it a great feeling to meet and play with your musical heroes?!! My wife and I have been fortunate to have taken workshops with both Mike and Caterina. Outstanding musicians and even better people. It looks like you had a great time and will think back on it for a while to come.

I've played a few Northfields and was really impressed with a Big Mon this past February. It was in the top 3 that I played that weekend and some costed 4x more ~ Northfield is definitely doing something right. I'm interested in learning more about Ethan Setiawan ~ I've liked what I've seen and heard so far.

My guess is you snagged an Octave. What do I win?

Thanks for sharing
    John
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Opperman View Post
    2 classes with Catarina on the right hand was a pretty fabulous. It was a little stunning to see her play arpeggios full speed from 3 ft away.

Oh, that Northfield f2s on the wall followed me home
    Yes! Nice, I did like that one, if I didn’t have a Collings MT2-O...

Thanks John, and I agree with your sentiments! I feel like seeing what is possible in person leaves me motivated, partially by being discontent with where I am at but seeing a path to improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Denman John View Post
    ...I'm interested in learning more about Ethan Setiawan ~ I've liked what I've seen and heard so far.

Name:	5B104D5F-41E7-45E0-97BD-A5E510D1878E.jpeg 
Views:	74 
Size:	710.8 KB 
ID:	170348

Ethan was a treat all weekend. At one point he sat next to me with a new Northfield 2 bar model (they called version 4.0) and I was simply blown away, by his playing and the tone of the instrument. He was everywhere, playing with everybody, mandolin or octave mandolin. I have definitely enjoyed what I’ve heard so far, and it looks like he’s going in good directions! Definitely someone to have on your radar, and a very nice guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Denman John View Post
    My guess is you snagged an Octave. What do I win?

Thanks for sharing
    John
    Ha, you win! All I have is a pic to share for your prize... My Collings MT2 is there for comparison

Name:	3AF33549-180E-4718-B525-F3E66BCE1C77.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	565.8 KB 
ID:	170349

I had played a couple of the Northfield octave models at the summit, they were maple back and sides. I loved the sound but they were a little crispy in my hands, lots of rattle of the strings on the frets from what I think is my heavy right hand. Some of that I know is adapting to the larger instrument, and that my technique would improve. The day after the summit I went to elderly and tried out the one with the mahogany back and sides and it really spoke to me. I want the instrument for playing solo or as a rhythm instrument, not trying to cut through a guitar or a band sound so I really like the tone the mahogany has compared to the maple. And maybe in a duo with mandolin. Anyway I tried to leave Elderly without it, but I couldn’t do it. I told myself I would go home and put money on a custom build, but the mahogany model just fit with the sound I had in my head, so there went my money. I have been playing it nonstop for days, I literally woke up at 2:45 played it for 15 minutes and went back to bed at 3. No regrets.

Northfield is really onto something, flat back and carved top? Who would have thought! If you get a chance to play one, do. It makes me question a lot of what I assumed I knew about instrument construction.

22. The following members say thank you to dang for this post: