Thread: 10 string mandolin builder

Default 10 string mandolin builder

I'm interested in having a 10 string mandolin made. I'm thinking maybe a two point body, 15" or so scale length, f-hole model. I'd like to keep the price no greater than $3000. Any suggestions? I'm in Toledo, Ohio, though I would certainly consider someone not local.

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 10 string mandolin builder

Probably a little over $3K depending on your mods, but you might check in with Girouard Mandolins. They just did a dandy fanned fret 10-string recently.

Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

3. The following members say thank you to Ted Eschliman for this post:

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Marty Jacobson built me one. Probably more than $3K, but a great instrument!
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billhay4 For This Useful Post:

Are fan frets really necessary? I understand the theory, but if the scale length is chosen carefully, can't one get a good sound out of all the strings without resorting to this? I actually have a ten string that was made for me by Steve Wishnevsky. 15" scale length. If it were any cruder, I'd worry about splinters, but it's playable and doesn't sound bad. I wanted to get something cheap to test before I made a major investment. The strings it shipped with were way too light. I'm waiting for delivery of a set of D'addario EJ76's. Once they arrive, I'll be able to see for myself.

Would it be possible to “tidy up” some of the roughness and improve what you already have?
    Might be worth some investigation.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Varin View Post
    Are fan frets really necessary? I understand the theory, but if the scale length is chosen carefully, can't one get a good sound out of all the strings without resorting to this?
    You could argue that even with fanned frets, you can't get "good" sound out of all the courses. You can set up a 5-course 5ths-tuned instrument one of three ways:

As a mandola with a weak, but functional E course
    As a mandolin with a weak, but functional C course
    As a something in the middle with weak C and E courses and killer midrange

But you can't make 5-course instrument which is a superb mandola on the open C and a superb mandolin at the 15th fret on the E course

I know someone will say, "but my 37-inch scale Sobell sounds amazing as a piccolo mandolin capo'd at the 20th fret", and that's not what I'm talking about. By "good tone" I don't mean "do you happen to like it". What I mean is, does it sound like a mandolin (or mandola). Which you can't do for all the pitches because in order to get that tone for the register, you would need multiple resonating chambers and sound port systems and then isolate them to the ranges they're intended for.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

Bernie Lehmann here in Rochester made this one for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	457a1.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	170280

Flamed koa back and sides, Adirondack spruce top. Five-on-a-plate tuners are Allparts inexpensive, but they work fine so far.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

11. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

There may be a builder, or builders, who regularly make a 10-string model, and perhaps even a 2-point with a 15-or-so-inch scale, but I have my doubts, and if not, that leaves the option of a custom build.
    There are probably plenty of custom builders who would be glad to take on the project, but if a good, experienced builder is willing to do it for under $3000, my opinion is he/she is not charging enough.
    Bottom line, I just don't think it is very likely that you can obtain a high quality instrument with your specs for your target price. You may have to do a little adjusting of your expectations.

13. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Some discussion on the topic at this ~2 year old thread.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Have a look at Paul Shippey's site, might give you some ideas. He does three different 10 string models & he's a great Mandolin player too so he knows what he's doing.

http://paulshippey.co.uk

I'd recommend caution with fanned frets. I believe they are very useful on some bass designs but questionable on a mandolin.

I had the opportunity to try a fanned fret tenor and found there was a significant difference in play-ability from a normal one. Chord shapes and patterns that naturally fall under the fingers on a mandolin (or other 5th tuned stringed instrument) I found to be very awkward and difficult with fanned frets. No doubt one could train themselves to overcome the differences, but it isn't the most natural transition.

I'd suggest making sure it's what you really really want before plunking down north of $3k for a custom build.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

I'd have to disagree with Verne. I found the transition to fanned frets to be easy and natural.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Quote Originally Posted by billhay4 View Post
    I'd have to disagree with Verne. I found the transition to fanned frets to be easy and natural.
    Bill
    I will reiterate for the benefit of the OP - I found a significant difference in playability between a fanned-fret instrument tuned in 5th and non-fanned fret. While the differences can be compensated for with practice, be sure this is what you want before spending a significant amount of money on a custom build that will be difficult to resell without a significant loss.

Like billyhay4 fanned frets may be your bees-knees, or you could be like me and find it awkward and difficult to form the chord shapes that work on an non-fanned-fretted mandolin.

Try before you buy!
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Tom TJ Jessen in Minnesota has built a few 10 stringers. I'm pretty confident he could build what you want in the price range you're looking for. Check him out at Cricketfiddle or here on the cafe.

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I still love my Old Wave 10-string. It's mandola length, but I'm fine with the fel of the E string.

Name:	Old Wave 10-String Mandolalin 4..jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	170379

This is a baby picture from Ted's site of the beautiful finish:

Name:	OldWavesFinish.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	170380

Larry

Just thought I'd update this old thread. Just received this Blues Hardware custom 10-string mandolin from Tom Sheehy. The poor quality webcam picture doesn't begin to do it justice. It's a sweet playin' beauty. Wish I could say the same for the guy holding it. And the price was more than reasonable. Thanks Tom!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blues_Hardware_1.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	173752

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Varin For This Useful Post:

Actually as a Mandola w/ a shimmery sounding E Course which has a special sound you can't get out of a Standard Mandolin. Fanned frets tend to balance out the tension for a more balanced tone. Also the 10 String Mandolin body is a tad bit deeper to help the lower pitches resonate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Eschliman View Post
    Probably a little over $3K depending on your mods, but you might check in with Girouard Mandolins. They just did a dandy fanned fret 10-string recently.

That’s my mandolin! I love it! It was 3,500 but that was the last one he made at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Varin View Post
    Just thought I'd update this old thread. Just received this Blues Hardware custom 10-string mandolin from Tom Sheehy. The poor quality webcam picture doesn't begin to do it justice. It's a sweet playin' beauty. Wish I could say the same for the guy holding it. And the price was more than reasonable. Thanks Tom!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blues_Hardware_1.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	173752
    Very nice!
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.