Thread: John Reischman& the Jaybirds on Denman Island, BC

Default John Reischman& the Jaybirds on Denman Island, BC

Last week we had the honour of hosting John Reischman & the Jaybirds on Denman Island and had a wonderful evening together. I've mentioned it a few times to John over the years that he should come play for us, and he finally took me up on the offer I e-mailed him back in March and asked him about his advanced class that he will be teaching at NimbleFingers next week, and wondered if it would be a good fit for my son, Tai. From there we started talking about putting on a show on our small island and on Wednesday night it all happened.

This was the first show that we hosted/organized and had a great time doing it. Tai did most of the work with promotion, ticket sales, social media, and putting up posters. I'm happy to say that it was very well attended and everything went smoothly. My wife made sushi and we all had a wonderful dinner together before the show.

Tai got some friends together and they opened the show for them. I know I'm biased, but they really sounded good together. When John & the Jaybirds opened with Salt Spring, I knew we were in for a special night. They played a good mix of older and newer material and Patrick Sauber was great on guitar ~ as they all were. At the end of the 1st set, John invited Tai to join them on Nesser.

The second set was just as good and they did some serious picking. It was fun looking around the crowd and seeing all the jaws fall to the floor For the encore, John invited everyone up on stage and the audience even got in on it.

And then it was over. It was a really special evening for our family and we all are still on cloud 9 from that night. This weekend Tai will be going to NimbleFingers and will be studying with John for a week. I'm already looking forward to the stories when the rest of us arrive the following weekend.

Thanks for listening to me gush.
    John
    Last edited by Denman John; Aug-14-2018 at 2:03am.
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Denman John For This Useful Post:

Default Re: John Reischman& the Jaybirds on Denman Island, BC

What fun! Thanks for sharing, I saw John in June at music camp and was in his class, he’s a great instructor, player (of course) and a very funny guy. I learned a lot and hope to see him again at another camp in the future.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

4. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Default Re: John Reischman& the Jaybirds on Denman Island, BC

Nice work Tai, you lucky duck

6. The following members say thank you to BrianWilliam for this post: