Thread: Help! How to attach KK Twin Spot to my A Mandolin

Blog Entries

Default Help! How to attach KK Twin Spot to my A Mandolin

This just arrived, two little 'transducers' to be attached, or inserted, I feel that the instructions are not clear enough. There is a sheet of paper that says ' superglue not included' I am scared to touch such glue to the transducers. double-side Tape is included, do I put tape on the brass side, or top side, and what is the process for the glue.? Any idea is appreciated. I can get my little finger inside for an internal install, but just as happy to mount on the top.

Default Re: Help! How to attach KK Twin Spot to my A Mandolin

I’m assuming you bought the internally mounted one?
    First drill the endpin out to 12 mm or 1/2 inch. It maybe easier to plug the tapered hole and then drill. ( I use a 1/2 inch gauged reamer for this that sizes the hole exactly to the jack)
    Then install the jack. It’s easier to pull it into place with a cable and plug that you thread back through the drilled hole and out an ff hole. You can then pull the jack into place with the cable. Reinstall the tp and secure the jack.

A piece of coat hanger with a loop on the end is handy for fishing the leads out of the ff holes to prepare them for gluing

You can use the tape to install the piezos but superglue gives a better sound transmission. Use gel superglue. Home Depot carries some that will work.
    I use a sound post setter with some putty on it to place the piezo inside the instrument but if the hole is large enough, your finger will work too. Use the sticky tape to stick the piezo to your finger before you apply glue to the gold side of the piezo and install. Then you can reach inside without having to juggle the lead..

Feel free to call or email me if you need more help.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Austin Clark For This Useful Post:

For obvious reasons, I wouldn't glue it externally.

If internal, it really is best to use superglue. It is not as scary as it sounds. AT the same time, there is little room for error.

I protect the top (just in case), get everything ready with a practice run, then even spread the glue and stick it on. Never had a problem. One of the biggest gotchas is getting glue on your finger then grabbing the mandolin. You only need to do that once or twice to learn. haha
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

I would practice first if you have never done it. Place it without the glue to get used to it. Also I would tape it to the front to find the best sounding location so you have an idea where you want it. Touch the tape against your shirt first so it won't stick so well just for finding the spot. I also like to glue the tape to the pickup, glue another piece of tape to the first, then glue the pickup with both pieces of tape to the mandolin. It warms the sound and I feel sounds better than just gluing it in. Good luck.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!