Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you could ask Chris Thile and the Punch Brothers one question.

Default Re: If you could ask Chris Thile and the Punch Brothers one quest

Hi Chris, I noticed that you had an armrest mounted on your Loar some years ago. What made you remove it and now play without one?

So, two instrumentals on the new album were inspired by the Mai Tai. Thought you were a bourbon and negroni guy. What’s up with that?

Alternatively, I’d ask what percentage of their shows are improvised. In their Charlotte show a couple of weeks ago it appeared to be a large percentage. Given the complexity and layers to their music, I found that extremely impressive. And, yes, it was a phenomenal show where all members had “stank face” wow moments. Highly recommended!!
    Chuck

I'd ask Chris if he needs a bus driver.
    Out of tune and out of time.

Who’s your barber?
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Thank you to everyone who replied for your suggestions and comments! They were very helpful and interesting to read. The VIP package was well worth it and easily one of the coolest experiences of my life (getting to watch them play up close was well worth it in itself). For the pre-show performance they played Jumbo, Three Dots and a Dash, and Like It's Going out of Style, all at audience request. Here's a few highlights from the Q&A Session:

Someone else asked about strings/instruments so I didn't have to. Gabe and Paul are both playing Thomastik Infelds (Flexcores, I believe), Chris Eldridge I don't recall (he mostly talked about his 1954 Martin D-28, which is fair). Thile plays his D'addario custom set (EXP74CM) and Noam plays natural gut strings made from his childhood cat Wriggles. He clarified that they are actually GHS after the fact.

I personally asked what advice they would give to someone learning their instrument. Noam commented that it is important to remember that this is a choice you are making, so if you keep coming back to it, hold in your mind that it is because it is something you love, not a chore or a job. He also said that you should split your time practicing between things you love and things you are actively working on because they stretch your playing. Gabe added that you should always play with a metronome, and seek out players who are better than you, they will elevate you to their level just by playing with them.

Thile said that you should always hold in mind an aural vision of what you want to sound like, and always hold that in your mind and try to remain objective as you think about the way you sound now, and think carefully about how to get from where you are to where you want to be. Eldridge tagged on that since most of us have smartphones at this point, we have the capacity to record ourselves practicing very easily, and that the objectivity of the microphone can help keep us grounded while we work (Thile tagged back in and said that "you might think you sound really kick a** while you're rocking out, but the recording reveals something....different..."). Paul wrapped up by just adding that you should always make sure you are working on something that is actually fun, and brings you joy.

Other people asked about how they choose covers (if they feel that by doing it themselves they add something of artistic value to the music. They said most covers they consider they do not perform). Someone asked what they were listening to- Thile, Noam, and Paul all said Ted Hearne, a composer from NY, has a new album that they've been enjoying. The other two kind of gave non-answers.

Those are the questions I can remember right now (besides "will you sign my mandolin"-not me)! All in all a great night and a phenomenal performance. Also their opener, Madison Cunningham, is worth a listen. Very good lyric writing and guitar playing (that Jazzmaster into Deluxe Reverb tone was pretty amazing too)!

Thanks again everyone! Highly recommend the experience if you ever get the opportunity!
    Summit F-200X (#133)
    1919 Gibson A-2
    Eastwood Mandocaster
    Goldtone BZ-1000
    Savannah SA-110

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benjamin Gieseke For This Useful Post:

Glad you enjoyed it! And, yes, Madison Cunningham was awesome as well! Crazy good tone out of that rig!!
    Chuck

Sounds fantastic! And thanks for reporting back to us what it was like

Rob
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

Thanks for the thorough review! Did Thile happen to mention the pick he is currently using?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    "Do you ever lurk on the Mandolin Cafe?"
    Oh yes he does.

One of the greatest music events I ever had was seeing the Punch Bros up close at the Cactus Cafe here in Austin. The place seats all of 70 people and is much like a house concert. I was able to be in the front row and was mesmerized the whole evening.
    The incredible bond those men have is something to see and hear, especially when they group closely, listening and playing together as one instrument. Responding to each other perfectly. You can really tell they have been playing together since their early teens. So special.
    The next is seeing Sarah Jarosz from her early teens and witnessing her growth into a star. I really understand how she and Thile have bonded together.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616