Thread: re-sticking a transducer

Default re-sticking a transducer

I have an F-hole JBovier mando with a K&K internal pickup, professionally installed. I just saw that one of the transducers is no longer in place. I don't know how it came loose; I don't now if my accidentally having it in a hot car (I know, shame on me!) could have made it unstick, but now I need to re-stick it. I can see where one transducer has been placed, so I assume I should just redo the other one on the other side of the mando, but I need to know how. A dab of glue? Double-sided tape? I'll ask the guy who installed it, but I thought I'd pick brains here. (I have the L-shaped tool that K&K provides to place the transducer). Thanks for any thoughts.

Default Re: re-sticking a transducer

Ive always used blue hobby putty (Loctite makes a product sold almost everywhere). I've used it to mount pickups in almost 20 instruments - mandolins, fiddles, guitars, banjos, resonators, etc. Never hardens, holds for years, removable.

Default Re: re-sticking a transducer

K and K provides a very aggressive double sided tape to mount their transducers. It normally works very well. Unlike Bart, I’ve never had good results with the blue putty. “Removable” is a matter of perspective I guess. I tried to use it in a harp and the darned stuff wouldn’t stay put. When I decided to go with the double sided tape instead I had a heck of a time getting all the blue residue out of the grain of the raw interior wood.

That double sided tape isn’t actually tape at all, really just a convenient way of applying contact adhesive. It’s actually removable by rubbing it with your finger. I know, I’ve done it to change position. But of course getting your finger into an F hole is a problem, while my harp is easily accessible. If the old adhesive is still in p,ace, you will have to figure out how to remove it before you remount, or make sure you mount in a slightly different place. You do t want to stick new adhesive onto old. It probably wouldn’t hold, and if it did it would be too thick.

I’m sure if you contacted K and K directly, they would send you more mounting tape. I bet they get that kind of request all the time.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A