Thread: Fairbanks Vega Banjolin

Default Fairbanks Vega Banjolin

I got this beautiful Fairbanks Vega Co. banjolin a few weeks ago at a flea market. Not sure how old it is, but the case is pretty musty. I’m airing it out. So I’ve read that because it has a stamped serial number on the inside (28014) that it could be from 1962-1964. I’m really not sure.

Default Re: Fairbanks Vega Banjolin

The best research indicates that serial number28014 corresponds to the year 1915.
    What is the style number stamped onto the dowel stick? It could be Style K, Little Wonder, Style L, Style S or Style X.
    BTW Vega always called these instruments “Mandolin Banjo” (played like a mandolin sounds like a banjo) they were available with either 4-Strings (uncommon) and 8-Strings in all the styles. The term Banjolin is a particular instrument although it seems to be used now (incorrectly) to describe a Mandolin Banjo.

Post some photos so we can all see it!

Mark
    Last edited by MarkELynch; Aug-07-2018 at 10:28pm.
    Mark Lynch

Blog Entries

Welcome to the cafe, EL. I have a Fairbanks Vega Little Wonder mandolin banjo from the late teens that is a good solid instrument, serial number 37xxx. See my avatar for a photo. I love it. With a little help from Google you can find a lot of info on the Fairbanks and Vega companies and also serial numbers.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Quote Originally Posted by MarkELynch View Post
    The best research indicates that serial number20814 corresponds to the year 1915.
    What is the style number stamped onto the dowel stick? It could be Style K, Little Wonder, Style L, Style S or Style X.
    BTW Vega always called these instruments “Mandolin Banjo” (played like a mandolin sounds like a banjo) they were available with either 4-Strings (uncommon) and 8-Strings in all the styles. The term Banjolin is a particular instrument although it seems to be used now (incorrectly) to describe a Mandolin Banjo.

Post some photos so we can all see it!

Mark
    Serial is 28014, not 20814. Not sure how many years difference that would make, but a few.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

5. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Here are some pics. I don't know why the pipe cleaners.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4348.JPG 
Views:	170 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	170080Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4349.JPG 
Views:	171 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	170081 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4350.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	170082

Thank you, Hank! Much appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    Welcome to the cafe, EL. I have a Fairbanks Vega Little Wonder mandolin banjo from the late teens that is a good solid instrument, serial number 37xxx. See my avatar for a photo. I love it. With a little help from Google you can find a lot of info on the Fairbanks and Vega companies and also serial numbers.

Wow, these things seem to be growing all over the place!
    The “pipe cleaner” stuff is chenille on the string ends, Vega strings come with that, I’m sure someone else does it too but, it is supposed to “protect the string/instrument from chafe. I’m not too sure it does Boo but, it’s pretty.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Duplicate posting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3B044681-92ED-400C-B113-A7539B735C67.jpeg 
Views:	316 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	170084   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	346E12D7-1EBC-4FD2-8F73-F03004548913.jpeg 
Views:	112 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	170085   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7BDDAAC8-F372-44D3-925A-52FFC9598F6A.jpeg 
Views:	114 
Size:	410.0 KB 
ID:	170086  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B4D21296-6E8E-498F-B8C3-4FCE72EF762B.png 
Views:	124 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	170087  
    Last edited by MarkELynch; Aug-08-2018 at 10:47am. Reason: Duplicate posting
    Mark Lynch

Thanks for the photos, it looks to be in fine condition! You have a Style K, the basic model in the Mandolin Banjo line. Attached is the 1923 catalog page picturing both the four and eight string varieties. The scale length on the four string version is slightly shorter (13” versus 13-7/8”) and has a narrower neck. I understand that it was and intended for violinists used to the shorter scale and a single string. As described the single string cuts through the other instruments a bit better than the eight string model. The instrument is already so loud that the need for double strings is questionable. Many modern players will simple string it with four. Other manufacturers such as Paramount marketed them as “Melody Banjos” in a variety of scale lengths. Vega called both the four and eight string models Mandolin Banjos not Melody Banjos although modern players like the Melody title to describe the four string model.

A couple of pointers.
    One, you are missing the tailpiece cover, fortunately they are easily found as they were used on a wide variety of instruments. Search for the term Cloud tailpiece and you should find one pretty quickly.
    Two, the bridge has been changed. This is not uncommon. It was originally supplied with a maple bridge with compensation offsets like you would find on a regular mandolin. With the short scale the compensation becomes important, the notes will go sharp in the upper positions. You can’t angle the bridge like on a regular or tenor banjo because of the string gauges. Fortunately new compensated bridges are available at Elderly if you can not locate an original. Original ones are usually hard to find.

Mark

Name:	3B044681-92ED-400C-B113-A7539B735C67.jpeg 
Views:	316 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	170084

Name:	346E12D7-1EBC-4FD2-8F73-F03004548913.jpeg 
Views:	112 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	170085

Name:	7BDDAAC8-F372-44D3-925A-52FFC9598F6A.jpeg 
Views:	114 
Size:	410.0 KB 
ID:	170086

Name:	B4D21296-6E8E-498F-B8C3-4FCE72EF762B.png 
Views:	124 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	170087
    Mark Lynch

Here's Mugwumps' guide to dating Fairbanks and Vega banjos. Near as I can tell, your 28xxx serial number puts the instrument between 1910 (27000) and 1915 (32200).

My Little Wonder mandolin-banjo, Ser. #46963, is from the early 1920's, but still has "Fairbanks by Vega" stamped into the dowel stick. Sometime in the early '20's the stamp was apparently changed to just "Vega."

Model designations were also stamped into the dowel stick, but yours seems not to have one. It looks mighty like my Little Wonder. If it has a tone ring, that would tell you more, since the less expensive Vega banjos didn't have them, I believe.

Later: Mark L's post above has covered this aspect fully. Thanx Mark!
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

That's amazing info, thank you!

You will find a lot more information than you may need but, there is always one more little piece that you might, one day, be glad you learned here!
    I’m waiting for that day, I’ve collected a TON of tidbits over the years! One day, I will be rich selling that to some unknown Mandolin 3D printing mogul and will make tens of dollars!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Nice find! I have a 1917 Washburn 4-string model 815, which they marketed as a “Tango banjo,” and it’s a lot of fun to play. Enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    You will find a lot more information than you may need but, there is always one more little piece that you might, one day, be glad you learned here!
    I’m waiting for that day, I’ve collected a TON of tidbits over the years! One day, I will be rich selling that to some unknown Mandolin 3D printing mogul and will make tens of dollars!
    Hahaha!!