Thread: NY State Doesn't Need a Mandolin ??

Default NY State Doesn't Need a Mandolin ??

Hey all, this is a funny story:

https://www.lohud.com/story/news/201...ore/829987002/

Seems that New York state has an auction site for surplus or lost items.

What struck me in the article, besides the headline, was this:

Heather Groll, communications director for the OGS, explained how the mandolin wound up on the surplus site.

“It came to us from the parks department lost and found,” Groll said. “Since no other agency or local government needed a mandolin, we put it up for auction.”

Since when doesn't a state agency need a mandolin?

Unless it's a Rover, I guess.

FWIW, I just checked and it seems somebody bought it.

Default Re: NY State Doesn't Need a Mandolin ??

They sold that prison in Chateaugay? Whoever got that is just down the road from David Nichols at Custom Pearl Inlay. I wanted to buy it but the wife said I should buy myself some new socks instead.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

When I worked for the City of Rochester NY, we had to go through a complicated process to get rid of stuff we didn't want (other than impounded vehicles, cars and bikes, that the police department property clerk regularly auctioned).

Articles that the City owned had to be declared "surplus," and anything purchased with State funds had to be offered back to the State. who would then (presumably) offer it to any other local government that wanted it. What the State didn't want, or the City School District, would be auctioned as "surplus property."

Old police cars often went to other jurisdictions that put lower mileage on them. Office furniture sometimes went to community agencies (for $1 or so) that needed somewhat worn desks, chairs, file cabinets. Odd items -- never saw a mandolin, but there were some sports equipment from recreation centers, etc. -- went wherever.

We weren't allowed to auction off firearms that were confiscated; these were generally destroyed. Unclaimed property that was taken as part of criminal investigations could be auctioned off as well. Wouldn't be surprised if some musical instruments ended up in that category.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

What I also want to know is how much ETOH and/or THC it takes to just forget your mandolin in the park.

[QUOTE=rnjl;1669413]What I also want to know is how much ETOH and/or THC it takes to just forget your mandolin in the park.[/QUOTE

It happens and it is sad. A friend of mine who does not drive was waiting for the bus on a downtown street corner, he had his Martin D28 in a case with him. He leaned the guitar case against the wall while he waited for the bus. The bus was late and when it finally came he got on and rode for three blocks before he realized he'd forgotten the guitar. He stopped the bus, jumped off and ran the three blocks back to the bus stop. The guitar was not there. People sometimes briefly forget the things they love and poof-they're gone.

David Grier said that he wrote his first song on a Lloyd Loar mandola once owned by Peter Rowan that Peter lost when he left it on a bus or in a cab.

The tale is told on Dempsey Young that he set his D45 down in a field talking to a fan got called to the bus NOW and left the guitar in the field. Miles down the road he remembered it made them go back against protests that it would not be there but it was with a bunch of kids playing football around it.

Quote Originally Posted by rnjl View Post
    “It came to us from the parks department lost and found,” Groll said. [/I]
    Quote Originally Posted by rnjl View Post
    What I also want to know is how much ETOH and/or THC it takes to just forget your mandolin in the park.
    "Leave the mandolin. Take the cannoli."