Thread: Amplifying oval hole mandolin w DPA?

Default Amplifying oval hole mandolin w DPA?

Hi, I am playing an oval hole and want recomendations for amplifying it. I have been standing in front of an SM57 and it has worked somewhat but I need more gain. I am considering the DPA 4099v but the videos show them placed on f hole mandolins and not on oval hole. I’m not sure where it would need to be placed on my mandolin. Is anyone doing this? Thanks.
    Last edited by Tim Griffin; Aug-05-2018 at 1:44pm.

Default Re: Amplifying oval hole mandolin w DPA?

I hope someone will chime in who has actually done this, because I've only used them on F-hole mandolins.

Meanwhile, my guess would be that the optimum location might be similar to how I use a DPA 4099 on acoustic guitars. That would be clamped to the bass side upper bout, near the neck joint. Gooseneck set very short, curved over and pointing down at the top about halfway between the body edge and the sound hole. That will keep it out of the way of normal picking, but could interfere with tremolo if you do much of that over the fingerboard extension.

The other location would be where I use it on an F-hole mandolin, clamped to the treble side bottom edge, and pointing where the end of the F-hole would be. That probably won't give you as much gain before feedback because it's further from the resonant airmass in the sound hole, but it should still sound good, with minimal pick click noise.

Blog Entries

Hamilton de Holanda had a great sound using a clip-on (brand unknown) along with internal contact pickup, and he mounted it where you suggest, bass side upper bout. It's pointing at the fingerboard, not the soundhole. Never inhibited his picking, tremolo, or percussive strumming.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hamilton.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	329.9 KB 
ID:	170025
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

On a guitar, I always start by aiming the mic around the 12th fret - pointing at the soundhole is usually too "boomy" and can result in feedback. Somewhere near the neck joint on an oval hole mandolin sounds logical but use your ears to determine exactly where.

Blog Entries

Here's an ATM350 in a DPA mount on an oval hole mando:

Name:	ATM350_oval_2.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	170044

Name:	ATM350_oval.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	170045

You can also position it on the lower bout. Depends which you find least intrusive.

The SM57 is a very low output mic... you might find changing to a decent tight pickup pattern, higher output condenser mic also solves your problem. Lots to choose from......
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

I used a DPA 4099 on the Gibson F4 Hybrid I own and it was ok. I ended up not using it because the venue I played in had regular gusty winds and the mic couldn't deal with them, foam cover and all. In the studio it was nice if very sensitive. Every little touch was picked up. Some folks will like this feature.

These days I get along with inside mounted appliances.

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars