Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Case question

Default Re: Case question

Mike where can I get some of those Sherpa guides to carry my Calton, do they work cheap. This getting old thing is for the birds.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by Guhonda98 View Post
    Wonder if tone guard will fit in Crossrock?
    With the one shown in the link provided? Yes.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

From sblock - " ... or -- better yet! -- backpack straps. " You mean like this ?. Use a 'Travlite' with 2 straps & the weight almost vanishes,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Case & straps 1.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	253.7 KB 
ID:	170108Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Case & straps.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	239.9 KB 
ID:	170109
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I'd keep the Calton and buy myself a gig bag with a shoulder strap for the times I needed to carry it (walking around festivals, etc). Then I'd go home (or back to the car) and put it back in the Calton. One makes it easier to carry around. The other will actually keep it safe. Never step on a Travelite case with a mandolin in it. You can however step on your Calton case with your mandolin in it. It only has to happen to you one time.
    This is pretty similar to what I do with my Phoenix. I have a Hoffee and a Gator hard foam/cloth case. When I am not absolutely certain my mandolin will be with me every moment, or there is any perceived risk, it is in the Hoffee. When I need to carry it around and I know it will be safe, it is in the Gator. It is really nice to have the option.

I find these hard foam/cloth cases (Gator, Travelite, etc) really convenient and easy to carry and I wouldn't want to be without one. I even like some of the better gig bags, such as the Access Stage 3 I am using for my Piccolo Mandolin. The Hoffee is much more protective, but sometimes just plain overkill. When my traveling ceases, which it will pretty soon, I may sell it and stick to the Gator.
    Last edited by Bob Clark; Aug-09-2018 at 7:36am. Reason: Annoying automatic spellcheck 'correction'
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Perhaps these heavy but secure cases need to begin adding features line rolling luggage or Fridge dollies?

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Ok, I'm 67, and assume I'm on the same downward trajectory as everybody, more or less. When I pick up a guitar amp, or heaven forbid, my bass cab, I feel it. Contemporaries ask if it isn't too heavy. He** yes it's too heavy. So is a 50# bag of concrete and a lot of other things, but as long as I'm able I'm going to schlep things around. Yes, sometimes I hurt, but when I see someone my age unwilling to lift something, soon they become unable to. Yes, getting down to pull weeds, look for something I've dropped under the bed, or play with the dogs isn't nearly as easy, but I do it.

So a friend says his electric guitar tone sucks. it's too thin, and asks me what he should do. I tell him he's playing through a 6" speaker in the 100 watt amp he's using because it weighs 12 lbs. I answer, get a 12" speaker or two. Oh no, they are too heavy for me. Sheesh, he's the one playing in a rock and roll band. So I'm going to go kicking and screaming into the inevitable declining years. I'll trim my trees, wash my cars, and get pummeled by my grandkids as long as I am able. And I'll hurt.

Rant over.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Louise NM View Post
    Keep the case and get a neoprene strap for it---$20 at Shar Music. They're easy on the shoulder, and make the case feel lighter.
    I use those for all my over-the-shoulder carrying including mandolin, double-fiddle case (moderately heavy since two fiddles and bows), as well as shlepping my laptop to work remotely.

Here's the link for those interested: Shar Neoprene Strap

They often go on sale for $15 and I usually buy one then, so I have a few and switch others around.

I live in the 'burbs so most gigs are car friendly. Whe I was younger I lived in New York City and trekked around all over on subway or hoofing it. Upright bass (no longer own), guitar and banjo (even open back) are the worst or but fiddle and mandolin even at my advanced age I can handle with standard hard shell cases. I am not too fond of gig bags unless they are the high-priced ones like Reunion Blues.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

As Br1ck say's in a round about way " use it or loose it". I agree, I still cut my firewood and heat 100%. There are lots of things I still do that are harder, we are the same age, but I do them when I am not going to play music. I am thinking yes the Calton is not that heavy, but on the way to a gig I would like something lighter so it's easier on my hands right before I play. In other wards save them for what I really want to do and do the rest when I don't have a gig.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!