Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case question

Default Case question

When I had my Heiden mandolin made in 2001, it came in a Calton case which at this point in my life is a little heavy. Two questions...

Is there any market for an infrequently used Calton?

Is there any very light weight super strong case available (my daughter has one for her high end violin)?

Default Re: Case question

Folk sell used/lightly used Caltons in the classifieds quite frequently so you shouldn't have a problem moving it.

As regards lightweight and strong, what about the Hoffee cases? Alternatively if you need a strong case but it doesn't quite have to match the Calton or Hoffee level of strength, what about a Hiscox case? They're certainly lightweight. I have one of their cases for my '69 Martin 00-18 and am really happy with it.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Unless it's a US made Calton and heavier than the original UK ones I should think carefully. The excessive weight of Calton cases is something of a myth. I've posted the following before -

TKL rectangular case (including blanket) weight - 3.915 Kgm
    2008 Standard UK Calton case weight - 3.855 Kgm
    Ameritage case weight - 3.7 Kgm
    Old UK Calton case (circa 198?) weight - 3.460 Kgm
    Shuster case weight - 2.920 Kgm

I'd checkout a Crossrock fiberglass case. 2.6Kg
    https://www.amazon.com/Crossrock-CRF.../dp/B0759P1QS8

I find it interesting and a bit amusing to hear fellow mandolin players complain about the weight of a case. Walk over to a bandmates dreadnought case and heft that ... then wander over to the banjo players and heft that. A mandolin case is too heavy?!
    Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ryk Loske For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ryk Loske View Post
    I find it interesting and a bit amusing to hear fellow mandolin players complain about the weight of a case. Walk over to a bandmates dreadnought case and heft that ... then wander over to the banjo players and heft that. A mandolin case is too heavy?!
    Ryk
    I agree if I get so feeble that I have to carry my mandolin in styrofoam i'll just quit

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

sblockTonyP 

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Does your daughter's violin case have a maker's label? Maybe they make a mandolin case.

How sturdy does it have to be? I'm not being facetious. Will it go in the baggage compartment of an airplane, vs being hand carried to sessions or gigs? For the latter, a firm shell foam like a Gator might be plenty.I have a similar knockoff and it's surprisingly sturdy.
    I just looked at the Gator site, and it turns out that they have a hard shell ABS plastic case that looks pretty nice.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

IMO your best bet is to keep the Calton for when travel or venue dictates it's use. Purchase a Travelite mandolin case for general use. They offer sufficient protection for "in hand" about town travels. As is often pointed out Mike Marshall uses one for his Gibson Loar period F5 instrument. Another suggestion is to use backpack type straps so the carry weight isn't in one hand. Lastly … look into the comfort of the case grip. Padding it may be an alternative. R/

Travelite
    https://www.amazon.com/Travelite-TL-...+Mandolin+case
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I have a similar problem with the Calton being heavy. With arthritis in wrists and hands I prefer to save them for playing and while I still use it I would like to get something lighter. All the cases I have looked at have a 10 1/2" lower bout measurement and my mandolin is only 9 3/4" so it flops around in most cases. The Calton keeps it very nice and secure with a perfect fit. I have an A model and cannot find a case that has dimensions to fit my mandolin and a decent neck cradle.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    I'd checkout a Crossrock fiberglass case. 2.6Kg
    https://www.amazon.com/Crossrock-CRF.../dp/B0759P1QS8
    +1 on the Crossrock.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

Very much appreciate all the input. I see mixed reviews about whether the Travelite TL-45 will fit A model (Heiden).

I have a Heiden A5 and a Travelite case. There is some resistance closing the case the last little bit, but that's from the very soft pads that touch the neck and tailpiece. It looks like the bridge does not touch the top of the case. I put a small piece of paper across the bridge and saw no indentation in the paper at all. The body is a snug fit--you won't get the mandolin in there with a tonegard.

I rarely use the Travelite case--prefer my Hoffee. Also a snug fit at the body--tonegard won't fit.

How's the Heiden treating you? What top wood does yours have? Love mine. 2010 A54 w red spruce.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Not "super strong", but my Eastman fiberglass case is quite practical in weight..

And the 3 D rings offer a hands free backpack carry option..

Keep the Calton for your multi city touring schedule, where it's not in your possession 24/7.. ?

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Same great top. I do keep a tone guard on it. No problem with Calton. Maybe just need more gym time and keep Calton.

Wonder if tone guard will fit in Crossrock?

What about the Airloom Recurve from Northfield? They say "Approximate weight (unpacked) 5.25 lbs."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Airloom-1.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	191.0 KB 
ID:	170035
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Sometimes it pays to check the classifieds...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/127616#127616

Keep the case and get a neoprene strap for it---$20 at Shar Music. They're easy on the shoulder, and make the case feel lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Guhonda98 View Post
    Wonder if tone guard will fit in Crossrock?
    Yes. Fits an A or F with Tone-gard

My Ellis "A" style resides inside a Travelite case. It fits easily with no problems at all. It's only due to the fact that Travelite cases are unavailable in the UK,that all 3 of my mandolin aren't in one. For everyday use & lightness, nothing touches them,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    I have a Heiden A5 and a Travelite case. There is some resistance closing the case the last little bit, but that's from the very soft pads that touch the neck and tailpiece. It looks like the bridge does not touch the top of the case. I put a small piece of paper across the bridge and saw no indentation in the paper at all. The body is a snug fit--you won't get the mandolin in there with a tonegard.

I rarely use the Travelite case--prefer my Hoffee. Also a snug fit at the body--tonegard won't fit.

How's the Heiden treating you? What top wood does yours have? Love mine. 2010 A54 w red spruce.
    Hoffee doesn't work with a Toneguard?

Only one Heiden?

Well, the mandolin is among the lightest of the stringed instruments. Even in a fiberglass Calton case, it weighs significantly less than a guitar or banjo inside a case. Among the bluegrass instruments, only the fiddle weighs a bit less. Switching to a Hoffee case (carbon fiber composite) or a Travelite case (hard foam) from the Calton will only save you a few pounds! Mandolin cases range from a low of about 3.5 lbs (foam) up to 9.5 lbs (fiberglass; carbon fiber composite), with most 'regular' cases (Weber, Collings, Superior, Northfield, Geib, etc.) coming in around 4.5-6.5 lbs. Incidentally, when I last weighed them, the Calton and Hoffee mandolin cases came in close to the same value: 9.4 lbs!

You will save AT MOST about 5 or 6 lbs. That's not a lot. Unless you are carrying the mandolin a very long way, it should not make much of a difference.

What would make a much bigger difference, IMO, would be to use a broad, over-the-shoulder carrying strap, rather than the handle, or -- better yet! -- backpack straps. Take the weight off your hand. Look for cases with D-rings that accept straps (or get a case cover that does)!

Blog Entries

I am a huge fan of the Reunion Blues Continental. I have two of them. A mandolin sized one for my larger mandolin, and a large ukulele one for my smaller mandolin.

They seem to weigh almost nothing, and are ideal for the normal bumps and grinds of carrying a mandolin around in cars and trains and buses.

I might want the hard case if I HAD to check it or gate check it on plane. But for carry on, the reunion blues continental is great.

And they seem to be made of helium or something. So much lighter than you expect for their ruggedness. I would think the case would protect your instrument for anything except blunt force trauma or deliberate puncture with a sword.

Oh, and plenty of room for a tone guard as it is not a fitted case.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

26. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Travelite or the lightweight version of the Gator case.

I hire trained Sherpa guides to carry my mandolin case for me. I may hire a few more to carry my banjo and guitar cases. Those things are heavier and as I age it's not happening gracefully.

I'd keep the Calton and buy myself a gig bag with a shoulder strap for the times I needed to carry it (walking around festivals, etc). Then I'd go home (or back to the car) and put it back in the Calton. One makes it easier to carry around. The other will actually keep it safe. Never step on a Travelite case with a mandolin in it. You can however step on your Calton case with your mandolin in it. It only has to happen to you one time.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber