Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phoenix mandolins closing shop?

Default Re: Phoenix mandolins closing shop?

I had purchased a used Phoenix from the Cafe many years ago....it has since moved on.......but I did take it to Rolfe for a set up to lower the action and for another tune up quite a bit later on....his shop was about a three hour drive from my house.
    He was such a craftsman and gentleman and took as much time as necessary to solve any problems and was always more than fair with his bill.
    In fact, he only wanted to charge me for new strings on my first trip for the action....I could never live with myself if I had only paid for those......I wish him and Jenny the best and often wish I had held onto that Phoenix.

There was a video about Rolfe on the Cafe a while back. This should save searching.

link to Video on Rolfe

Thanks for all the good mandolins you provided, Rolfe, my son has one, and it's a beauty.

Spencer

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spencer For This Useful Post:

Oh no, this is so saddening. I love my Phoenix mandolins. My ORANGE select made this time last year may have been one of the last. Hugs to Jenny, she was an absolute pleasure to work with on the custom build.

Very sad news to hear but I hope Jenny is off to bigger and better things. I love my 2009 Phoenix Bluegrass and will never part with it.
    2009 Phoenix Bluegrass

Enjoy your well earned retirement Rolfe and best of luck to Jenny. My Phoenix bluegrass master model is an amazing mandolin that I cherish!

Wow, just catching up on this. Sad to hear, my Phoenix Neoclassical is an amazing instrument and now I feel even more lucky to have it.

I have an Ultra, #250, made in 2000. I love it. It is a joy to play. I also had the pleasure of meeting Rolfe and his lovely wife a few years ago. I wish you well, Rolfe. I hope you are enjoying retirement.

Terrible news, and a damned shame. My second mandolin (the first was an Eastman) was a Custom Deluxe made by Rolfe (a Deluxe with Bluegrass style binding and inlays) in 2005, and it will go to my daughter when I check out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	142_4210.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	174616
    Gene R. Rankin (a CheeseHead)
    Phoenix custom Deluxe

10. The following members say thank you to generankin for this post:

I have a 2003 Phoenix Mandolin that I'm going to be selling. It was given to me and I don't know much about it. Looking for estimated value. I'm just starting my research. I know it hasn't been played much at all.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0727.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	973.7 KB 
ID:	176108Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0730.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	569.8 KB 
ID:	176109 Here are some pictures. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0722.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	176106Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0725.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	961.5 KB 
ID:	176107

Blog Entries

If this is a repeat post, my apologies in advance.

There's an ambiguity in financial reporting using the signified "m." Technically it stands for "thousand" if it's in lower case, though it's misused and misunderstood by laypeople as "million." (I think M=million. Like in cooking, T vs t. ) This was a cause of great tribulation during the Savings and Loan bailout when a bunch of dumb lawyers (like - - at the time--me) were trying to figure out why an institution with $197 m in revenue and $650 M in losses was going under. Isn't $650 > $197? (Yeah. And M>m, too.)

Of course there are all sorts of intentional misreps in financial reporting. But this looks like a mistake. Nobody in the financial world would believe that a luthier business was making $1 M, never mind $16 M. So there would be no sense in a misrepresentation of this magnitude. Only an idiot intentionally makes an unbelievable misrepresentation, but regular people unintentionally make them all the time. They're called "mistakes." (Good work, whoever did the market comparison analysis up above, by the way.)