Thread: 1920's Gibson A Snakehead or a 1924 Gibson F2

Default 1920's Gibson A Snakehead or a 1924 Gibson F2

I'm trying to choose between 1920's Gibson A Snakehead or a 1924 Gibson F2. I believe everything is all original on the F2 but some of the original frets has been replaced. The F2 has been recently gone over completely and came back with a good bill of health, sounds great and excellent playability. The F2 is in excellent condition but it's not mint. However, there is one small crack on the rim that has been repaired sometime ago and is stable, the mandolin has no seam separation that I can see, binding looks good. I have some photos of the 1924 Gibson F2 but haven't received any photos on the Gibson Snakehead yet but I was told it's in excellent condition also. My first question is do you see any problems with the crack in the rim of the F2 if it's been repaired? Does anyone see anything wrong with the Gibson F2 from the photos that I'm missing or over looked?

I need some advice or recommendations on which to choose the Gibson A Snakehead or the Gibson F2 mandolin. I want to play old time, Celtic and Jazz music on the mandolin and I'm looking for a nice warm sound.

Your advice or recommendations would be much appreciated! Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	354.3 KB 
ID:	169998
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	420.3 KB 
ID:	169999   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image3.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	294.2 KB 
ID:	170000   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image4.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	352.1 KB 
ID:	170001  

2023 A. Lawrence Smart A5
    2022 Girouard Griffith Tribute A5
    2021 Ellis F5 Special
    2021 Girouard Concert Master F Oval-hole
    2020 Heiden Artist Plus A5
    1992 Givens A6
    1919 Martin Style C

Default Re: 1920's Gibson A Snakehead or a 1924 Gibson F2

I have a very warm spot for F-2’s so I can’t tell you without bias!
    How much are they asking for either?
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Timothy,

We are looking at $4,400 for the 1924 Gibson F2 and $3,900 for the Gibson Snakehead. I will be the first to admit I don't know if that's a good price or not on those two Gibson mandolins in excellent condition. So what's your advice/recommendation on both of the mandolins?
    2021 Ellis F5 Special
    1992 Givens A6
    1919 Martin Style C

$3900 is steep for a snakehead unless it is an A2Z or A4, in which case it would be an outstanding price. If it is an A, A1 or A2 it would have to be pristine for such a price to be reasonable. If it is an A Junior, then that price would be way out of line.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    $3900 is steep for a snakehead unless it is an A2Z or A4, in which case it would be an outstanding price. If it is an A, A1 or A2 it would have to be pristine for such a price to be reasonable. If it is an A Junior, then that price would be way out of line.
    Thanks, for the advice on the Gibson Snakehead mandolin price. I'm hoping that someone here on the Mandolin Cafe will give me some advice on the price of a Gibson F2.
    2021 Ellis F5 Special
    1992 Givens A6
    1919 Martin Style C

There’s a pretty nice F-2 (blacktop) at Elderly for $3950.00, there are a couple in the classifieds for around the neighborhood of the one you have a line on. The “Snakes” can be all over the place depending on the sellers knowledge and desire (or lack of) to sell.
    Carter vintage instruments is also showing some nice pieces in your range.
    The cafe has an “A-3” that I have a longstanding affection for too. I’m strange, I know!
    Timothy F. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    There’s a pretty nice F-2 (blacktop) at Elderly for $3950.00, there are a couple in the classifieds for around the neighborhood of the one you have a line on. The “Snakes” can be all over the place depending on the sellers knowledge and desire (or lack of) to sell.
    Carter vintage instruments is also showing some nice pieces in your range.
    The cafe has an “A-3” that I have a longstanding affection for too. I’m strange, I know!
    I have been watching Carter Vintage Instruments for mandolins the past couple of months. The problem I have there are no mandolin dealers here in Central Pennsylvania that you can just walk in the store and play a couple mandolins and get an idea what you really like which makes it hard picking a good mandolin off the Internet.
    2021 Ellis F5 Special
    1992 Givens A6
    1919 Martin Style C

I don't think $4400 is out of line for a clean 1924 F2 with all original parts and original OHSC. I don't see anything in your photos that screams non-original.

I might hesitate to pay that amount for an F2 that wasn't Loar-period with a truss rod, or had replacement parts, repairs, refinish, etc.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I agree with mrmando, for the most part. There is nothing there that makes me recoil in the least, I’d want to have a little while with it if I could. Elderly and Carter both have “reasonable” return policies as far as I know.
    I understand being more distant from places with choices for you is not making any of this any easier. I’m under an hour and a half from Elderly and don’t go very often. I’d simply end up tempted and miserable!
    Timothy F. Lewis

Teacher, repair person

$3900 is over $1000 high for an A or A-1 snakehead. You can buy them all day from the long established vintage dealers from $2000 to $2750, depending on condition.

You can make a drive to Philly and play nearly a dozen oval hole Gibsons at Fred Oster's Vintage Instruments. If you haven't played many oval hole Gibsons, it will be well worth the time and gas for the trip. You'll learn a lot about these instruments in just an hour or two.

If you're not hooked on having to have a smaller neck and a truss rod, $4500 plus 500 more will put you into teens F-4 territory. Personally, I prefer the earlier instruments myself-- they tend to be carved a bit lighter and have a sweeter tone.

F-2.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

I'd want to know more about what the snakehead is and what condition it is in. It's either overpriced (more likely) or underpriced (less likely, but possible).

MT2, Before making the choice please tell us more about the Snakehead model. The Snakehead era was a short one. They appeared on several A models from the A-Jr to the A4 and the values vary greatly.

It is highly unlikely that 1924 is the correct year for the F2 pictured in your first posting. It is more likely from 1925-1929 based on the finish and style of tuners that are installed. The shading on the back of the neck at the heel is a clear sign to my eyes of the post 1924 lacquer finish, all earlier Gibson instruments have a varnish finish and most are considered more desirable and valuable. The tuners are also post 1924 and have the left-hand tuner shaft worm (also known as worm over). If you look through the mandolin archives you will find other examples. If you post the serial number and factory number FON stamped inside on the neck block we can help with the production year. Joe Spann did some fine research and has published data tables that will determine the year.

Regarding the F2 value I would say it is not out of line. It is a clean looking instrument with the (narrower) truss rod neck and more “modern sound” if that is what you are looking for. They are a little more costly than a teens model. In the Collection I have several examples of teens F2 and F4’s as well as mid and late 20 models and agree with the description of the sound in the earlier posting. The teens F models usually have a more bell-like sustain. Not always the case and not better or worse, just different.

Post some Snakehead photos and the FON so we can add some more advice. If you get too confused just take the easy way out and buy them both!

Mark
    Mark Lynch

I'd say for the style you play the snakehead is more what you need. But as others say, prices all over the place because it's a snake. Better post some photos as price does seem a bit high. I like that F2. Seems clean and in line with price.

Blog Entries

Depending on what the snake is? What year, what wood, what tuners "some have the rare pearl button, silver plated engraved Loar arrowhead style, some the worm over gear bump end with pearl, silver, engraved etc. The F-2 is a nice mid 20's, The tailpiece cover isn't original and doesn't look like a vintage gold plated example, if its original that's what 4-500 bucks alone. "I like original rare hardware"
    I live in Northwestern PA and there isn't anywhere close to me to go but there is Acoustic Music Works in Pittsburgh but they usually just have new stuff that's quality like Collings etc..

I like the F-2 as well, Tom!
    It’s been to the company for a little fretwork probably some other kindness too, OHSC to boot.
    I think he’s made up his mind.
    But then again, I have a soft spot for F-2’s anyway.
    Don’t know why, never owned one, probably never will.
    Timothy F. Lewis