Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short and fat fingers

Default Short and fat fingers

I am new to playing a string instrument. I was given a mandolin for Christmas and am presently taking lessons. I find that my short and fat fingers either do not stretch as needed or they tend to also catch a string next to the one(s) I am trying to press. I can not help but believe I am not alone. I am open to suggestions as to how to compensate or rectify this problem. I am reaching out for advice. Thank you.

Default Re: Short and fat fingers

Old A, F4 mandolins with wide fingerboards..

most extreme example; the ones Radim Zinkle gets made/ for his preferences..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Hi JCP! If it's any encouragement, my opinion is that most people who are learning a stringed instrument experience the same problems you're describing. The best general advice I can give you is (1) Don't get discouraged, and (2) practice, practice, practice. In other words, keep going. Your determination and your brain will begin to click in together and the difficulties will be overcome with time.

Beyond that, there are indeed specific things that can help with your problems, that are more easily demonstrated than explained in writing. One of those things is to realize that all four strings do not have to sound all the time - so a fretted finger touching an adjacent string is not always an issue. You just have to learn to be mindful of what string is being muted, etc.

Generally, though, as I said above, all this is tough for a beginner, and you are in good company. It takes time and practice to figure things out and make it work. While you can learn to play a tune or a few tunes in a short term, you can expect to be still learning for years or even decades to keep getting better. Enjoy the journey and don't give up.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

No, you are not alone. But I recommend that you simply keep practicing, and keep stretching out with that left hand. (Assuming you play right-handed.)

One musician who was famous for his pudgy fingers was the late classical guitar virtuoso, Andres Segovia! Having short fat fingers did not seem to impede his playing one whit. We can't all have long slender fingers like Paganini ... or Mike Marshall and Chris Thile! Sierra Hull has small hands (probably smaller than yours), and she plays beautifully.

I happen to have VERY short fingers -- even men's size small gloves are too long in the fingers for me -- and yet, after some years of practice, I can routinely play the bluegrass G chop chord (7523) with ease, and reach the B note on 7th fret of the E-string with my pinky from the root position. That said, I can't quite reach the 8th fret C note from there, try as I might, and have to seek alternative playing positions when this is called for. But that crops up only rarely.

So just keep at it, I say. If you are truly desperate, realize that classical (bowlback) mandolins have scale lengths around 13", rather than the 14" (or 13-7/8") length of most modern carved-top mandolins. The stretches are correspondingly easier on those, of course. But unless you intend to play classical or Neopolitan music, I would advise that you stick with the more modern style of mandolin (usually inspired by the Gibson A4/5 or F4/5 models).

After a number of years of playing, I have found the the overall stretch between the tips of my thumb and pinky on my left hand is easily over a centimeter more than on my right hand! That's what happens when you stretch it out for hours every day. Your body actually lengthens just a bit.

You'd be amazed where persistence and practice will get you.

You're in good company with Segovia. My digits are short also, but one learns to make playable note choices and move the hand some, instead of only the fingers. If you watch the video of a very young Sierra Hull joining Alison Krauss on stage playing "Cluck Old Hen" you'll see her fingers looked tiny.

welcome aboard & welcome to my world. all I can tell you is when you are feeling down & out we are all here for you. but like the above has said keep on practicing a little at a time, instead of lets say an hour at once, & if you have to move your hands around to make them work for you. remember no to people are the same hand wise.

Pressing the strings as a violinist does, kind of laid down along the length, rather than using the tips like a guitarist helps. With fat fingers for some chords you can use it to advantage, using one finger to press two courses of strings. Adjusting the position of the mandolin by adjusting strap length (you are using a strap,right?) and tilting it more or less may help. How the mandolin is rotated can make a difference, even more so on the picking hand but also the fretting hand. Three finger chords, with a course of strings damped out may help in some cases.

I have to shift to play any scale with no open strings. Are you coming to the string at a sharp, vertical angel? Hopefully your teacher is harping on technique.

Also, there are times you will want to fret two strings with one finger. So you're ahead there.

Is your mandolin set up properly? Just throwing that in there just because.

Practice with a metronome.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

There are plenty of mandolin players with short fingers that are large in diameter playing on standard sized fretboards.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I have very short fingers also (about one joint shorter than the average adult, if I hold my hand up to theirs) If I am playing chords, at times (for some chords) I have to get a bit inventive with the fingering. But I find mandolin much easier to play (with the smaller neck) than guitars are.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Keep at it-- you'll get it.
    In case nobody has mentioned it yet, make sure your mandolin is set up well so it plays and sounds it's best. A well set up mandolin will be easier to fret.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Yes, keep at it! If doing a 4 finger G chord is impossible for you now, work on that form 2 or even 4 frets higher ip the neck (A and B chop chords, respectively). Once you get the feel and stretch there down, gradually slide back down the neck to the G.

Martin mandolins have a shorter 13 in scale than most modern mandolins, and that difference is noticeable. There are also wider fret mandolins. The widest I’ve played is my National RM-1, which has a 1 and 1/4 inch nut. Again, you can feel the difference, but with time and practice you’ll be able to play any of them!
    Chuck

You only fail when you stop trying. As others have said, keep going. You WILL get it!

Blog Entries

Funny thing - I just watched this video for the first time today in the Song of the Week social group, and one respondant mentioned the young lady's short fingers didn't hold her back any. Watch her take the lead at about the 0:45 mark.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Mike Marshall often refers to how fat his fingers are on his Artistworks site, saying if he can play with his fatties, then we all should be able to give it a go.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I guess the OP has run out of excuses by now...
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

18. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

I appreciate everyone’s response. I look at people playing with what looks their fingers being fat, also. I know there is hope with dedicated work. Thanks for the encouragement.

I used to have short and fat fingers when I started playing mandolin but after lots of practice they grew longer and thinner

More seriously you're trying to get your fingers to make unfamiliar movements so they will be clumsy to begin with but, if you persevere, it will become easier.

Blog Entries

My Dad has short fat fingers. I call it Hobbit hands but anyway he's always been a great rhythm guitar player but in the past few years has gotten into mandolin and he gets frustrated because he can't get certain chords along with arthritis also but I try to show him when I see him how to get the same chord by using double stops etc... and one doesn't have to play all over the neck to get the melody, look at most fiddle players they play the whole melody in the first position, one can do the same with a mandolin.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Smith For This Useful Post:

Exactly. There are sooo many ways to play any chord. Beginners tend to get fixated on the idea that they have to play the 4 finger "chop" chords. Nothing could be further from the truth. These days, I tend to play other shapes a majority of the time in BG situations, either because I prefer the sound of other voicings, or for economy of motion. Any chord can be played (and played well) with 2 or 3 strings.
    Mitch Russell

24. The following members say thank you to onassis for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by onassis View Post
    Exactly. There are sooo many ways to play any chord. Beginners tend to get fixated on the idea that they have to play the 4 finger "chop" chords. Nothing could be further from the truth. These days, I tend to play other shapes a majority of the time in BG situations, either because I prefer the sound of other voicings, or for economy of motion. Any chord can be played (and played well) with 2 or 3 strings.
    All that is true but " can't make that chord like that" is NOT a good reason unless you have a true deformity. Barry Abanathy(sp?" can use that reason, for most of us it is an excuse for giving up and not practicing.

I'm with you! Joined forum just to find advice on this topic! Apparently the answer is practice, practice, practice. A dozen years of classical piano lessons taught me these nubs can do it. Hopefully we'll both master this!

You stated that you are “presently taking lessons”, so have you not discussed this with your instructor? I cannot imagine that this impediment would not be addressed in the course of instruction. Taking lessons implies the engaging (and paying!) an instructor to guide you in the learning process…how could this not be a part of what an instructor is responsible for aiding you with??
    too many strings

Make sure your fretting hand is in the correct position - that is, with the thumb wrapping around one side of the neck and the front of the hand on the other side. Then, the fingers can be at an angle to the strings instead of perpendicular, which gives much more reach.

Picture for reference: https://images.app.goo.gl/dQbA6dpFYnveKHLj9

Please look up any live videos of the Late Great Peter Ostroushko, and you will see this is not really an obstacle to playing mandolin.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"