Thread: Help me in Broadening my scope

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Default Help me in Broadening my scope

Hey Gang... I've been playing for roughly 3 years now and feel like I'm doing pretty well in approaching an intermediate level. Past music experience and understanding has me somewhat comfortable playing with others at the local Bluegrass Jam. I feel ok standing along side some skilled players; recognizing I'm still light years away, but still with enough understanding, muscle memory and bravery that I feel confident enough to (at a minimum) keep up.

HOWEVER... I am encountering a big stumbling block lately. I have opportunities arising lately to play with the praise band at church (I'm on staff at the church and have been welcomed into the staff-band, aka "Staff infection")... but am having trouble translating my Bluegrass-centric playing style into anything that fits in well with contemporary praise and worship music. I feel stuck and want to be able to make a meaningful contribution, but I feel like I'm starting over at Square 1.

How have you been successful at broadening your stylistic scope? What recommendations can you recommend for me to help me fit in with other styles of music?
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Default Re: Help me in Broadening my scope

I don’t know if this will help, but I have a neighbor who is a guitarist and a pastor. He writes sacred music that he plays in his services. Quite lovely stuff, based in his jazz background. We get together to play every once in a while. Since he’s a better and much more experienced musician than me, that mostly means we play whatever bluegrass or old-timey stuff I’ve been working on. Lately I have taken some small steps towards learning jazz mandolin. It’s a much more expansive chordal vocabulary, obviously. That’s been my starting point, along with very simple melody. I can now start to bring that over to playing with my friend. It means learning his chords, which takes me some time, and really listening to the rhythms of the piece, which are very un-bluegrassy, and starting with just small embellishments on the chords (like a little light tremolo on chord tones, or an extension note I can reach from the chord). I can’t play his melodies yet—the way they lay out in phrases is just too different from what I’m used to playing—but open chords and jazz voicings and teeny melodic touches around them can be a nice addition to what he’s playing and singing. Would something like that work in your context?

3. The following members say thank you to Mark Miller for this post:

Thanks Mark, that is very helpful.

It's hard but a lot of it is simply removing the boom-chucka chop from my brain; esp without it sounding like I'm playing the mando-tar ...if that makes sense. I guess trying to strike the balance between it "fitting in" but sounding uniquely mandolin-like.
    Silverangel Econo A #429

You might want to spend some time listening to and playing along with different, non-bluegrass types of music, especially stuff that's similar to what you're playing in church. I got started on Americana-ish music (Gillian Welch, Old Crow, etc.), stuff that I already knew on guitar, just strumming along, trying to get comfortable with the chord changes.

It might also help to listen to what other instruments common to the genre do, and try to approximate that. I used to play a lot of country-ish music with some friends, and when a lap steel player joined us I realized that I had been playing a lot of steel guitar style lines on the mandolin, using tremolo and double stops. You can always start with picking out the individual notes of the chords (arpeggios, or an approximation of cross-picking) or doing single note tremolo on chord tones.
    Mitch Russell

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onassis For This Useful Post:

Maybe find a good praise and worship songbook and learn a couple of tunes focusing on the melody and chord changes. Learn them slowly at first to take the bluegrass rhythm out of it.
    "All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain

Eastman MD615SB
    Martin D35
    Gibson SG

8. The following members say thank you to Mando Mort for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Spencer, what I've been doing is to just try out a lot of different styles of song, try to come up with arrangements, then record them. Most of it sounds like rubbish, but it helps to identify weak spots and to separate out what doesn't work. Maybe an approach like that could help you a bit, if you have the time to experiment that way.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

10. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

As a bass player I find the main difference in genres is the rhythm patterns. Listen to the bass and drums and play something to compliment them. Try playing a sparse rhythm pattern. Many intermediate players play to much. Leave space.

12. The following members say thank you to Bob Visentin for this post:

Getting away from boom-chuck chords is important, and chop-chording is one aspect of bluegrass jamming I find tedious and boring in a circle of more than 4 or 5 people. There is a wide range of mandolin playing styles; scanning quickly through the thread I did not see much mention of classical (listen to Modern Mandolin Quartet for example, as well as many recording of Bach on mandolin and mandocello). That should give you some ideas. Melodic tremolo, arpeggios, light chords ON the beat (it's possible!!) are all options to try. The instrument was around a few centuries before bluegrass, and Antonio Vivaldi, Rafael Calace, Caterina Lichtenberg, and Chris Thile have things to offer beyond I IV V.

14. The following members say thank you to Jim Imhoff for this post:

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd suggest working through three-note, closed position chords. Very useful in any style.
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

16. The following members say thank you to August Watters for this post:

It sounds like you need to recalibrate. Just to shake up what you're used to, try playing Christmas carols or nursery rhyme songs. single line melody, or melody and chord -- and concentrate on keeping the rhythm slow and steady, no heavy beats, no flourishes. try using a metronome. People who drink wine use bread or water to clear their palate between sips, you can consider this very simple melody/remembrance music as a palate-cleanser. And try to find a different place in the praise band for mandolin -- something NOT related to its place in bluegrass. my 2 cents.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randi Gormley For This Useful Post:

All the ideas are much appreciated gang. The Staff Infection played the past Saturday and all seemed to go ok ... thou when I watch the recording I can't hear myself at all.... maybe the tech director and the band leader told them to put my level low

Thanks again!
    Silverangel Econo A #429

Blog Entries

I would study syncopated rhythm methods. A mix of cross picking like syncopation over the chords can sound pretty cool. Doesn't require picking the melody at all but a little of that thrown in will work too

21. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

I can give an Amen to expanding your chord theory/repertoire.
    The crux of the matter is, if I say, "There's more to life than I, IV, V. There's also ii, V, I."
    We know we have to be versed in the common and not-so-common keys too.
    The Praise band stuff I've heard has a sort of repetitive, chant-like characteristic.
    That lets a picker mess around with rhythms and harmonies within the structure.
    Fleshing out harmonies is definitely a part of chord theory.
    Oh yes, FFCP, ala Jazzmando.com has to help. It helped me.
    My favorite part is, if you get the principles down, you don't need to know the name of the chord.
    If it sounds good, it is good.

23. The following members say thank you to farmerjones for this post:

Thanks gang, I've got another gig this Saturday playing an event at the church. Fortunately they're all relatively easy chord progressions. So I've been working on adding some good fills and such to make it more lead guitar-esque.

Thanks for all the tips, it has really helped!
    Silverangel Econo A #429