Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stool for tired old pickers

Default Stool for tired old pickers

I'm referring to a stool to sit on here, not any other definition of the term. I took this thing up at 59 am now 64 and playing standing for a while gets uncomfortable. I have played sitting on low camp stools on wilderness trips- they're too low. Have used a fiddler bandmate's +/- 3 foot folding stool with a round seat and no foot rest- it takes the load off, but isn't ideal. Last night at band practice a couple of us took our host's backless wooden kitchen bar stools and sat on them- dream come true. Tall enough that I wasn't looking way up at those standing and with a foot rest in perfect position for supporting the mando. I could sneak into her house at night, steal one and schlep it to gigs and jams, but I'm wondering if anyone has found the perfect lightweight, folding stool that keeps you close to level with others and has somewhere to put a raised foot. Anybody?

Default Re: Stool for tired old pickers

One bunch I play with are standers. (so I stand)
    One bunch I play with are sitters.
    The sitters use the standard folding chairs.
    But I found a 4x4 a foot long for a foot stool.
    It's actually a rough-cut hardwood 3x3, but it feels perfect.

I'm an old guy, and I generally hate standing. But being amoungst' em trumps anything else.
    I get involved in the music and forget about it for the first couple hours. Between the second and third set, you can bet I need a sit.
    We're all about the same age, and I'll be hanged if I'm gonna be the weakest link.

NFN I bought one of those wally-world folding stools for jamming. The poor little fellar kept up for all of fifteen minutes.
    They need to make a hunting blind stool with taller legs, but you'd have to build one. Maybe just replace the legs with longer fiberglass rods. Good Luck!

I've been using these for years. I bought mine at Wal-Mart. They make them short and tall. Find the tall ones. Mine have been to a few festivals a year and a whole lot of jams for years, maybe decades. I'm not svelte.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FoldingStool.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	169809  
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Jul-31-2018 at 11:46am.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Funny how we humans (I'm assuming everyone's a human here) are wired. Sitting we feel we need a leg raised to support the mando. I don't do the same when standing. I wouldn't last more that two tunes.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cane.jpeg 
Views:	94 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	169810
    Last edited by AndyV; Jul-31-2018 at 11:33am. Reason: added pic

At one time I was looking around for something like this, but our gigs always ended up seated in standard folding chairs. Anyway, here are a few options in the "keyboard stool" category. The K&M one (last link) is expensive, but that company makes great mic stands and I'd trust it more for this kind of portable gig stool:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/life...ge.rr1|ClickCP

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...ge.rr1|ClickCP

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...eumatic-spring

From the OP "I'm wondering if anyone has found the perfect lightweight, folding stool..."

Those last two don't look lightweight even if they might fold.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    From the OP "I'm wondering if anyone has found the perfect lightweight, folding stool..."

True, but a lightweight stool might not be the best for some of us heavyweight players either.

8. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

I'm not svelte.
    I'm not svelte either. I'm fluffy!
    Fluffy as a pallet of cinderblocks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1534.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	306.6 KB 
ID:	169818
    This is what I use. It is a Gator Frameworks stool. Can be used with or without the back which is removable. The bottom folds easily and I think it weighs about 10 lbs. It has a foot bar and a fold down instrument stand. I think new they run about $65.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1533.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	270.9 KB 
ID:	169819

This is the Gator Frameworks stool from Guitar Center. $59.95 It comes with a built-in guitar stand which I removed. The foot rest bar with the silver edge was added by me. It is adjustable up & down. The seat is padded and the back rest is padded. The stool folds up nicely and the back rest is detachable so great for transport. I believe this stool will hold a fairly stout person. Works very well for me, I'm 170 lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00872.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	333.5 KB 
ID:	169815   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00873.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	341.0 KB 
ID:	169816   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00874.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	393.4 KB 
ID:	169817  

Quote Originally Posted by Hudmister View Post
    This is the Gator Frameworks stool from Guitar Center. $59.95 It comes with a built-in guitar stand which I removed. The foot rest bar with the silver edge was added by me. It is adjustable up & down. The seat is padded and the back rest is padded. The stool folds up nicely and the back rest is detachable so great for transport. I believe this stool will hold a fairly stout person. Works very well for me, I'm 170 lbs.
    I like this one better than mine. It is right-side up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Original post asked about lightweight folding stool and I went that route until I sat on one of these.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/ROC-N-S...-Seat-Stool.gc

It doesn't fold up but is very lightweight and extremely comfortable. The hassle of it not being portable is long forgotten once you sit on it for 3 hours. The fact that it swivels 360 degrees is very nice.

There are two sizes and I went with the 29" as I am 6'3" and it is just right for me.
    willi

I'm currently using the Mainstays Folding Bar Stool which I bought at Walmart. Let me confess that my weight, over the past five years or so, has varied from 237 to 271 pounds, and is currently in the higher part of that range. I used the stool Mike E recommends for years, but honestly, two of them collapsed under me. The Mainstays is rated for 300 pounds, and also has a comfortable padded seat.

Now: about a month ago, two rivets holding the seat mechanism sheared off, and this stool also went down under me. (No, I haven't been injured in any of these falls, just embarrassed.) I investigated the situation, and was able to replace the rivets with a couple steel bolts inserted through the seat, and snugged up with nuts underneath. These are tres more solid than the rivets, and I don't anticipate any further trouble, but I may buy a back-up stool just for insurance.

For those mandolinists out there who have weight issues, I'd recommend checking the rated capacity of any folding stool you're planning to buy. The non-folding "bar stool" models will probably support more weight, but there's always a bit of risk. It's bad enough to look foolish by collapsing a stool, especially in front of an audience, but the question of real injury is also worth considering.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I'm afraid to ask you guys what you're doing on these stools to destroy them.....
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

16. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

I'm afraid to ask you guys what you're doing on these stools to destroy them.....
    I don't think I was even on it, but one guy, shy of 200 sat on my wally world folding stool, on uneven ground, and that was it.
    Once the tabs were bent, they soften when one bends them back. So the next time we set up on uneven ground, it turned into a Tommy Boy sketch.

You guys need to find some even ground to play on
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I'm sitting on one of these right now. 4 for $100 is not bad. They are comfortable enough and indestructible.
    https://www.amazon.com/Mity-Lite-Fle...=1000+lb+chair
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Dunwell B-1 Bouzouki
    www.singletonstreet.com

garded

Like has been mentioned regular chairs are too short, and that comes from someone vertically challenged. I picked up a pair of these out of the Goodwill for $25 and they are the stuff. They are IKEA and $30ea. new. Very comfortable and I don't feel like I'm sitting in a empty bucket when I use them to pick.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50406465/

21. The following members say thank you to TonyP for this post:

I actually started playing at 59 as well and am also 64. Why not just use an armless auditorium chair? I carry one with me to the festivals or anywhere I plan on playing. They are light, comfortable and fold for storage. Although I sometimes play standing, for the most part I use this chair at jams and festivals.
    2014 Weber F Style Yellowstone HT
    2014 Weber "Special Edition"
    2012 The Loar LM 500 VS

Just sitting on mine. When one weighs over, say, 250 pounds, it's wise to check the capacity of any chair or stool. I've had one of those plastic-resin chairs just come apart along a stress line, when I was sitting at a picnic table -- no sudden movement or unusual load, other than my (over-large) person.

And let me second the mention of "uneven ground." A lot of us may use stools when jamming at a campsite, or even performing outdoors where there's no stage. Place uneven stress on one of the four legs, and it may well buckle. And once a metal part deforms, it's unreliable for the future, even if you straighten it back up.

And, these stools do wear out. All of the stool failures I've experienced, have come after I used them for years. Mine get thrown in the back of my Honda Element, taken out and used hundreds of times a year. Not surprising that they may weaken over that period.

I almost always play sitting down, and a stool's height is much more suitable for me than a chair's height. But I also want a stool that's relatively lightweight, folds for transportation, and is comfortable for hours of playing, say at a farmers' market where I may go three hours without a break.

What I should do is lose weight, reduce the stress on my "seating gear." We'll see if I make it.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

24. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

True those are not lightweight or folding (lol) but I’ll heartily second the Roc-N-Soc stools. I’m a fellow “Clydesdale” (over 200 pounds) and my R-n-S stool has served me well. I used to mountain bike years back and those of us pedaling 200+ up the trail were classified as a Clydesdale. Great seats are critical.

My stool does have collapsing tripod style legs and a removable back (added extra I think). It’s actually a drummers throne and has a bag available to pack it to gigs.

NFI

https://www.amazon.com/ROC-N-SOC-NR-...backrest&psc=1

Chris
    “Without music, life would be a mistake” Neitzsche

Collings MF5-V
    Kimble A5
    An electric rig with an envelope filter trying to sound like Jerry...

And, these stools do wear out. All of the stool failures I've experienced, have come after I used them for years. Mine get thrown in the back of my Honda Element, taken out and used hundreds of times a year. Not surprising that they may weaken over that period.
    So, you shouldn't use these because they only lasted for years?

Hell, I'm wearing out. Everything wears out eventually. I'm over 200 pounds and I get it that if you get on and off these for years on uneven ground they can die. I get it that given the right circumstances they can die sooner than later. Mine haven't yet. I still see them as an option even though some others have failed. I do like the Ikea chair posted above though.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hird View Post
    ....Why not just use an armless auditorium chair?..
    The OP was looking for a stool to raise him up to the level of those standing.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    I'm currently using the Mainstays Folding Bar Stool which I bought at Walmart. Let me confess that my weight, over the past five years or so, has varied from 237 to 271 pounds, and is currently in the higher part of that range. I used the stool Mike E recommends for years, but honestly, two of them collapsed under me. The Mainstays is rated for 300 pounds, and also has a comfortable padded seat.

Now: about a month ago, two rivets holding the seat mechanism sheared off, and this stool also went down under me. (No, I haven't been injured in any of these falls, just embarrassed.) I investigated the situation, and was able to replace the rivets with a couple steel bolts inserted through the seat, and snugged up with nuts underneath. These are tres more solid than the rivets, and I don't anticipate any further trouble, but I may buy a back-up stool just for insurance.

For those mandolinists out there who have weight issues, I'd recommend checking the rated capacity of any folding stool you're planning to buy. The non-folding "bar stool" models will probably support more weight, but there's always a bit of risk. It's bad enough to look foolish by collapsing a stool, especially in front of an audience, but the question of real injury is also worth considering.
    Oh! I've been looking at this stool. I think I need to just pick one up, but maybe reinforce before getting too comfy on it.
    Last edited by MandoCando; Jul-31-2018 at 10:23pm. Reason: grammar

It doesn't fold, but I bought one of these wooden ones at Walmart last week. only $15. I plan to use it at gigs as well.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...stool/37523874

Cheers,

Rob
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds