Thread: Bartlett Audio Mandolin Microphones

Default Bartlett Audio Mandolin Microphones

At my Django gig Saturday I had a nice meet up with Bruce Bartlett, of Bartlett audio. He makes some very nice small instrument mics right here in Asheville, North Carolina and comes with a ton of street cred: 30 years working for Sure and Crown, author of 8 books, and he is a musician. He kindly dropped off several mics for demo here at the shop, one each specific for mandolin, guitar, and double bass. First impressions are very good. Anybody interested is welcome to come by the shop for a test run. I have no financial interest in the conversation, strictly mandolin nerdiness....

https://www.bartlettaudio.com/collec...nstrument-mics

j.

www.condino.com

on facebook at condino string instruments

2. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post:

Default Re: Bartlett Audio Mandolin Microphones

I found the mounting to the f hole to pick up far too much body noise,mandolin will be looking to mount mine on a gooseneck up over the top. Good sounding though.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I wish I could use a mic in my setup. Competing with drums is pretty tough even with a pickup (K&K). I tried an ATM350 once at a show and I could never get loud enough. Maybe the Bartlett works better.
    Gibson 2016 "Harvey" Fern
    Collings MT Mandola
    Weber 2017 Bitterroot A20-F Octave Mandolin
    Crump BIII Irish Bouzouki
    Petersen Level 2 Irish Bouzouki
    Eastman MDC805 Mandocello
    Collings 0002H
    Five & Six String Banjos
    Lots of other Guitars
    http://www.shadowfields.com

It should have good gain before feedback in that location, but it's not a mounting method I would use.

A clamp-on gooseneck mount like the DPA 4099 has better isolation from body noise, and can be placed so it captures a little more vibration of the top, so you're not just hearing the internal body airmass. A clamp-on gooseneck is also less likely to cause damage if you inadvertently step on the cable (says someone who has pulled the 4099 off my mandolin that way, at least once). It's the same reason I've never used a mic with this type of clip on the edge of an acoustic guitar sound hole. It just makes me nervous.

The mic itself may be great, I just think it needs a better mounting method.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by McIrish View Post
    I wish I could use a mic in my setup. Competing with drums is pretty tough even with a pickup (K&K). I tried an ATM350 once at a show and I could never get loud enough. Maybe the Bartlett works better.
    If you could not get the required volume with an ATM350 you'd really struggle with a Bartlett. They are all omnidirectional. They pick up monitors, reflected sound from all directions... I'd go so far as to say if you cannot achieve sufficiently high levels with a ATM350 you are unlikely to have success with any mic, and probably need to stay with transducers.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

I used a Bartlett for several years. For the combination of sound quality and ease of use they are hard to beat. If anyone is interested, check the archives for past threads on them.