Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Silver Angel Mandolin - Buy in store or have built?

Default Re: Silver Angel Mandolin - Buy in store or have built?

Quote Originally Posted by MandoCando View Post
    Thank you! What a kind thought. Oh! I meant to ask you. Your SA is in need of strings. What will you put on there?
    I've been using good old J 74s, but they are built for J75s. I just have hand issues so never tried them. My SA has a redwood top and cross bracing, so a bright string works very well.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I usually use EJ 75s on mine as well, but have used 74s without issue. Maybe a little more oomph with the 75s, but not a ton of difference. As Br1ck states, Ken has been building these with EJ75s in mind.

If you drop down to EJ73 or EJ62s you'd probably notice a difference, though it certainly can't hurt to try them out if you really prefer lighter strings. Congratulations on your impending NMD!!
    Chuck

I bought a Silverangel, built in September 2017, used at Fiddler's green in January 2018, so practically new. I couldn't be happier with it. It's got some great appointments and wonderful sound, incredible volume... It will certainly keep me satisfied for plenty of time to come. By all means go for it, whether from Ken or the classifieds. I don't think you can find a better value out there, and I think all of instruments no matter where they are sold are top notch.

If you had to choose between your El Fantasma or the Econo A, which would you prefer?
    The El Fantasma. But it's close!

Thank you, this was really helpful. This makes me believe what I found must have been trade ins. I've been listening to the sound on the internet and boy! I'm blown away.

I will contact him soon as well as keep an eye out for one here.

I appreciate your time in answering!
    Let me say that contacting him from my location has been impossible.After sending him a lengthy e-mail from his site setting out an order with several questions from me here in Australia I have yet to receive a reply. It is now many weeks since the posting of my order for a SA and am rather sad with a great disappointment that my request has been totally ignored, passed by and is still unanswered.

guess my SA order is up in smoke.

KoalaBear.

Koala - have you tried sending him a pm here? He’s on the Cafe a lot as member kyken.

Quote Originally Posted by KoalaBear View Post
    Let me say that contacting him from my location has been impossible.After sending him a lengthy e-mail from his site setting out an order with several questions from me here in Australia I have yet to receive a reply. It is now many weeks since the posting of my order for a SA and am rather sad with a great disappointment that my request has been totally ignored, passed by and is still unanswered.

KoalaBear.
    I appreciate all the kind comments about my mandolins. It means a lot to me. To Koala, I am having problems with people contacting me through my web-page. I am working on a solution to this problem. I'm sorry Koala, I didn't mean to ignore you. My apologies.

KoalaBear.
    Glad that got straightened out. It sounded very out of sync with my experience. Ken's response has always been prompt.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Well.........I have had an econo model on order and it has been shipped, due to arrive in two days. Mine is left handed, so has a standard peghead rather than what he usually builds. Ken called today, says it is very nice, black with Argentine gray sunburst.
    I can't wait to put my hands on it

I take it you got on this year's Econo build list. That is one of the best deals in the mandolin world.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I have certainly enjoyed all the posts about Silverangel mandolins. I bought a new one (made in 2017) about a month ago and I love it! Ken's mandolins have the deep tone that I was looking for and it is a dream to play. According to Ken, it is only the 2nd oval-hole F model he has ever made - based on my observations, he should make more. The binding and fit of the neck into the body are beautiful. I found the mandolin at Bradford & Co. Fret Shop in Missouri (on Reverb). Their listings include numerous photos of the mandolins and a video of that instrument being played - say you get a real idea of what the instrument sounds like. They were great and shipping was no problem. I really like the sound of the Fantasma they have listed. Based on my experience with Ken Ratcliff and with Bradford & Co., I don't think you will go wrong whichever way you decide get a Silverangel.
    Jim Armstrong

1924 Gibson A-1 Snakehead
    2017 Silverangel F
    1979 Martin D-19

12. The following members say thank you to Jim Armstrong for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Armstrong View Post
    I have certainly enjoyed all the posts about Silverangel mandolins. I bought a new one (made in 2017) about a month ago and I love it! Ken's mandolins have the deep tone that I was looking for and it is a dream to play. According to Ken, it is only the 2nd oval-hole F model he has ever made - based on my observations, he should make more. The binding and fit of the neck into the body are beautiful. I found the mandolin at Bradford & Co. Fret Shop in Missouri (on Reverb). Their listings include numerous photos of the mandolins and a video of that instrument being played - say you get a real idea of what the instrument sounds like. They were great and shipping was no problem. I really like the sound of the Fantasma they have listed. Based on my experience with Ken Ratcliff and with Bradford & Co., I don't think you will go wrong whichever way you decide get a Silverangel.
    Hi gang,
    Many thanks to all for contributions on the subject....appreciate all the wonderful comments on SA mandos, but since my location is Australia, someone pls mention the price of a standard Econo and what woods are these instruments made in their design.Know that to import this one here will incur custom import charges at home. So is it worth my while to order one from Ken.... my style of music is old time, fiddle tunes,Irish and dabble in some bluegrass.
    Ken should you wish to contact me to give details,specs etc etc on the Econo here is my details:tigerdante35@gmail.com

TanKoalaBear

Just contact Ken directly for info. He doesn't list Econos on his website, so he might just take orders for ten or so per year which are sent out in the summer and fall. Hopefully his tech issues have been worked out.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Just contact Ken directly for info. He doesn't list Econos on his website, so he might just take orders for ten or so per year which are sent out in the summer and fall. Hopefully his tech issues have been worked out.
    Any photos from Econos owners?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Armstrong View Post
    I saw the one you got from Bradford, on-line. That was a great price they had it listed at. I wondered who got it. The one they have listed now on the Fantasma is a fantastic price. Mando Mutt has a El Toro listed really reasonable also.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    I'm at about 80% on saving up for an SA Econo A... I'm excited for the customization I can do and am Excited to get a hand made instrument built for ME at such a great price.
    Hi buddy how are you?Have your armrest on my Kentucky KM150 and it fits like a glove.Incidentally what woods are you having on your hand built Econo.Is it Cedar, Redwood,or Adirondack? ....I almost bought the MD 305 but the KM150 wins the day for me ...no regrets...awesome sound....am ordering a SA Econo from our Ken.

cheers,

KB a.k.a Tan

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Hi buddy how are you?Have your armrest on my Kentucky KM150 and it fits like a glove.Incidentally what woods are you having on your hand built Econo.Is it Cedar, Redwood,or Adirondack? ....I almost bought the MD 305 but the KM150 wins the day for me ...no regrets...awesome sound....am ordering a SA Econo from our Ken.

cheers,

KB a.k.a Tan
    Hey Tani! Glad you're liking your armrest!

I'm not 100% sure of woods yet. Someone recommended Red Spruce, so if that is an option I'll probably go that route. I've still got some money to save, so we shall see. I'm also planning to have a pickup installed as well.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    Hey Tani! Glad you're liking your armrest!

I'm not 100% sure of woods yet. Someone recommended Red Spruce, so if that is an option I'll probably go that route. I've still got some money to save, so we shall see. I'm also planning to have a pickup installed as well.
    Hi Oliver. Greetings from Australia.That armrest is wonderful.Good news that you are ordering the SA.What a treasure!Red Spruce has a lovely sound.What type of music will you be playing on your Econo once Ken delivers the Mandolin? I have a Mandolin from Davy Stuart from New Zealand,European Spruce top, and Tasmanian Oak back and sides.Davy supplied a pick -up in the TanMando and it plays gorgeously thru an amp.Looks like we are both on Ken`s Econo list for the coming months.How exciting!Talk later.Ciao` Olly.

Tani.

Quote Originally Posted by SS Hedgecoke View Post
    Well.........I have had an econo model on order and it has been shipped, due to arrive in two days. Mine is left handed, so has a standard peghead rather than what he usually builds. Ken called today, says it is very nice, black with Argentine gray sunburst.
    I can't wait to put my hands on it
    Joy, joy joy! Can you please post a photo?.....and a mention of the top wood on your Econo.

Tani.

Here's what I have of mandocando mandolin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	260.2 KB 
ID:	169982   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	256.7 KB 
ID:	169981   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	170 
Size:	238.5 KB 
ID:	169983  

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kyken For This Useful Post:

Hey Ken, is redwood still your top of choice? That old wood sure sounds good.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Hey Ken, is redwood still your top of choice? That old wood sure sounds good.
    well, I can get the right sound that I like from Different woods, just the graduations are key. By tapping, you can learn a lot. Redwood carves like butter, spruce is a little more resistant. I've got lots and lots of red spruce. My redwood however is limited. I guess from that, redwood would be my top of choice.

Well, I received the Mandolin from KyKen today! Let me tell you she's pretty and hard to put down! Big difference from my Loar 520vs. If anyone is on the fence. Jump off it and send him a message. Really happy with it and now I need to figure out how to post pictures and add it to my list in signature. Woohoo!! No Mandolin regret here. :-)

26. The following members say thank you to MandoCando for this post:

2 El Fantasma mandos in Jax today. Killer.

28. The following members say thank you to rowka for this post:

rowka! You're in Jax! Glad to see a fellow Duvalian here. :-)

Do you attend any local jams?