Thread: alternative to Amazing Slow-Downer?

Paul Wheeler
    Greenfield, NH; formerly Jericho and St. Albans, VT

Default alternative to Amazing Slow-Downer?

Following a debacle with my old computer, I'm faced with re-upping the ASD (which I liked, though getting relaunched beyond the limited free-download part appears somewhat cumbersome), or trying something else. Are there any recommendations? Thanks. -- Paul
    He joyously felt himself idling, an unreflective mood in which water was water, sky was sky, breeze was breeze. He knew it couldn't last. -- Thomas McGuane, "Nothing but Blue Skies"

Paul Wheeler

Default Re: alternative to Amazing Slow-Downer?

I should add, I never used ASD for playing along, just as a tool for transcribing from CDs and other sources. -- Paul
    He joyously felt himself idling, an unreflective mood in which water was water, sky was sky, breeze was breeze. He knew it couldn't last. -- Thomas McGuane, "Nothing but Blue Skies"

I use ASD a lot on my iPad but recently I loaded RePlayer onto my iMac. I can load mp3s, voice memos, etc and change speed or pitch and loop sections. It has the playback in that wavy format which I think matters if one knows what that means...I obviously don’t. I like it, it does the job of slowing down something I’m working on. Windows Media Player lets you slow down stuff too.
    Last edited by bigskygirl; Jul-26-2018 at 10:39pm. Reason: Correct name of app
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Blog Entries

I tried out Transcribe! and I really like it. $39 at seventhstring.com. NFI.

It does a lot more than changing tempo. The download is free and you can try it out for a month before committing.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HonketyHank For This Useful Post:

Capo is a gret alternative.
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

Anytune -Pro works well for me.

8. The following members say thank you to lloving for this post:

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Audacity.
    Completely free. I've used it for years. Little bit of learning curve 1st time out.

Will record from Youtube or elsewhere, edit, EQ, modify sounds, slow down without changing pitch, loop, change key, export file as mp3 or wave, etc.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Yes, what Phil says, Audacity will do everything you want and more. If you store your music on your computer, it can't be beat. The ability to record anything playing on your computer through the loopback recording setting is great.

A web browser can handle the slow down task pretty easily, but lacks the interface to do much other than play. If you are into coding, it is pretty simple to add some javascript and html to do this. Added bonus, you do not have to be connected to the internet as long as you can select the files you want to play.

Here is my simple tool I use to assist in my practice. I have all the mp3 backing tracks and PDFs from lessons I take stored in the cloud, and are available on any of my computers, tablets or phone. It can display a PDF, and slow down or speed up audio tracks, loop, and add a delay to playback. The delay is useful for tracks that have no intro, and gives you time to put down the mouse, grab your pick, sling your mandolin and sit before the backign track starts.

http://winscore-garfnet.azurewebsite...ingtrack1.html

The tool is limited by what your platform allows, for example I know it won't let you select files on an iOS phone. I haven't really tested it other than on MS Edge, Chrome, IE 11, and others have tested it on safari on an Apple computer. Displaying a PDF on a phone isn't ideal, and I will at some point make a more responsive design to hide that feature on small displays like phones and smaller tablets.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

11. The following members say thank you to Gary Leonard for this post:

Another Audacity user here. It works well, loads fast, has a small "footprint" compared to other, larger programs. Free and open source. It does have a learning curve, but then any audio editor does, and you can transfer what you learn to a more full-featured audio program.

I have other more in-depth software for recording and editing audio, but I use Audacity for quick jobs like capturing YouTube audio (or any other audio stream), snipping heads and tails from workshop recordings, and occasionally slowing down audio for practice. The slow-down feature isn't as good as expensive, dedicated software, but it works well enough for practice files.

fbbts.com had backing tracks that you can speed up and slow down.

Not really what your looking for but maybe something you would like.

Paul Wheeler

Thanks, all. There's plenty to chew on here, and I appreciate your help. -- Paul

15. The following members say thank you to twaaang for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I use Transcribe! and am very happy with it. I use it with video files as well as audio files! Like you, I use it for transcribing, not for playing along with.

BTW, that program developer doesn't fear his competitors, there's a page on his site that list dozens of slow down programs for transcribing, you have plenty to choose from: https://seventhstring.com/resources/transcription.html
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

I'm a big fan of www.tunetranscriber.com

Thanks,
    Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

Depends on what you want. I use Tabledit to create tabs and the companion TefViewer allows me to play and slow down the tab files. No help of course if you use something else as your source...

Another vote for Anytune Pro.

I bought the ASD app for my phone and I'm very satisfied
    It only cost $10.