Thread: New case formaldehyde off-gassing and oil varnish finish?

Default New case formaldehyde off-gassing and oil varnish finish?

Hello all,

I had Don over at Pomeroy build for me a gorgeous mandocello. Protecting the instrument will be a custom Cedar Creek case, which is emitting a powerful odor of formaldehyde. My question is: what is the worst case (no pun intended) scenario for the oil varnish (tru-oil) being shipped in this case for ~3 days?

I've read some horror stories on the internet, but haven't actually seen any pictures. Don suggested two things: either wait a week to ship, or wrap the instrument in an impermeable barrier. I'm not doubting his expertise, but I did want to crowd-source a brainstorm to address some of the what-ifs here.

Thank you all in advance.

Default Re: New case formaldehyde off-gassing and oil varnish finish?

Formaldehyde offgassing is bad for humans, but in these concentrations not likely to negatively impact the health or longevity of wood products. Same with the stuff that offgasses from polyurethane foam. Presumably Cedar Creek intends you to put instruments in their cases immediately, but why don't you ask them what they think if you're worried about it.

Well, weak formaldehyde vapors are unlikely to affect either a varnish or nitrocellulose finish. Nor bare wood, for that matter. But what makes you so confident that the odor you smell is truly from formaldehyde, I wonder, and not, say, some different type of outgassing, from the glue or foam used in the case manufacture? (Do you have access to an HCHO gas detector, I wonder?)

Throughout the process, Cedar Creek customer service has been somewhat less than forthcoming. They were about two months late on delivery as well. I tend to think any such query would be met with "it's fine, trust us".

Just the same, thank you for the information about the concentrations being within a safe tolerance.

I’m not a luthier or instrument dealer, but would be surprised if you had any issues over that relatively short period of time. Congratulations on your new Pom cello, btw! Please post us a sound clip if you’re comfortable doing so...and, i’ll Search the build thread to see if there are any there, as I haven’t checked in on it in a while...
    Chuck

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Once you get the instrument, take the case outside on a sunny day and leave it there with the case open. That should help the outgassing to stop faster.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Just for fun, here's the case in question:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0207.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	169669Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0206.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	169670Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0204.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	150.4 KB 
ID:	169671

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    Well, weak formaldehyde vapors are unlikely to affect either a varnish or nitrocellulose finish. Nor bare wood, for that matter. But what makes you so confident that the odor you smell is truly from formaldehyde, I wonder, and not, say, some different type of outgassing, from the glue or foam used in the case manufacture? (Do you have access to an HCHO gas detector, I wonder?)
    You know, I'm not 100% sure myself. It's Don's nose I'm trusting here! That being said, the aroma could indeed stem from a cocktail of sources, including the ones you mentioned. What do you reckon about the relative dangers of the glue or foam's off-gassing, if you're sure formaldehyde is nothing to worry about?

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    I’m not a luthier or instrument dealer, but would be surprised if you had any issues over that relatively short period of time. Congratulations on your new Pom cello, btw! Please post us a sound clip if you’re comfortable doing so...and, i’ll Search the build thread to see if there are any there, as I haven’t checked in on it in a while...
    I edited in one of my replies on that thread with a sound clip provided by Don. It's rudimentary to be sure, as the 'cello was only halfway intonated and lacked a finish, but the character is definitely there. Check it out! And, thanks for the +1 to the "don't worry about it" camp with regards to the awful smell.

Edit: actually, here ya go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvrecj7hrr...cello.MP3?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    Once you get the instrument, take the case outside on a sunny day and leave it there with the case open. That should help the outgassing to stop faster.
    Thanks Paul, I'll do this (while keeping an eye out for these subtropical summer storms that tend to blow through...)

My Clark GBOM came in a smelly Cedar Creek case and has spent much of its life in it. The case smells just as bad as it did the day it arrived (not sure I'd call it a formaldehyde smell) but it's had no recognisable effect on the finish of the instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    My Clark GBOM came in a smelly Cedar Creek case and has spent much of its life in it. The case smells just as bad as it did the day it arrived (not sure I'd call it a formaldehyde smell) but it's had no recognisable effect on the finish of the instrument.
    This is great and terrible news. Did you open up the case and let it air out on a sunny day, as previously suggested?

No - I just put up with the smell. The instrument smells just like the case every time I take it out and play it.

Smelly cases have been discussed before. i think the conclusion has been that it's something they put in the glue to mask it's smell. Personally, I'd rather smell the glue. I've no idea whether the smell I'm getting is the same as your smell but I certainly wouldn't call it formaldehyde. Perhaps my glue would smell like that if it didn't have the additive?

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I have the same experience with a ukulele case I've had for over a decade. Terrible smell, but no damages.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”