Thread: Pete Goble, Bluegrass Songwriting Legend Passes

Default Pete Goble, Bluegrass Songwriting Legend Passes

Not sure how many of you knew about Pete Goble and his amazing ability as a songwriter, but I wanted to let everyone know that he passed away yesterday at the age of 86. Even if you don't know him, I am sure that if you are a bluegrass music fan/musician that you have heard or even played his songs through the years. There is a nice article about him in Bluegrass Today. R.I.P. old friend...

https://bluegrasstoday.com/pete-goble-passes/
    ManjoMan

Default Re: Pete Goble, Bluegrass Songwriting Legend Passes

I have a Pete Goble and Bill Emerson vinyl album.
    I was working "at the factory" at the time, we were set up with a display at IBMA and Pete and his wife stopped by our booth. I mentioned how much I liked his "Tennessee 1949" album and he said to his wife; "Do we have one of those?". She went somewhere and came back with a copy of the album and he gave it to me. He wouldn't accept any money for it, just gave it to me because I said I liked the album. When I told Bill Emerson about it later he just smiled and said that's just the kind of guy Pete is.

I am Pete Goble's daughter. Below is the official press release regarding his passing. My Father loved God, knew Jesus, loved his wife and family and bluegrass music. He had a wonderful collaboration with his friend and co-writer, Leroy Drumm, and together they created bluegrass magic.

Please feel free to include this information on your website or page (or pass along this information to those who would be interested) and also feel free to contact me if you need more information.

Best,

Jane Martin
    (Pete’s Daughter)

cjmartin@umich.edu

PRESS RELEASE
    July 26, 2018
    DEATH ANNOUNCEMENT – JOHN “PETE” GOBLE, BLUEGRASS SONGWRITER AND SINGER

The bluegrass music community is saddened by the death of Pete Goble, who passed away on July 25th at the age of 86, with his loving family by his side.

A respected songwriter and singer, Pete was honored to have his songs, most co-written with his longtime friend and collaborator, Leroy Drumm, performed by a variety of top bluegrass artists, including Alison Krauss, The Bluegrass Cardinals, The Country Gentlemen, Dailey and Vincent, Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver, Glen Campbell, Hot Rize, Jimmy Martin, Larry Sparks, The Osbourne Brothers, Rhonda Vincent, and 111rd Tyme Out, among others. Their songs have become bluegrass music standards worldwide.

Pete was the proud recipient of several industry awards, including the SPBGMA Song Writer of the Year award (1997), IBMA Song of the Year award (1991), IBMA Distinguished Achievement award (2002), and the SE Michigan BGMA Hall of Honor Award (2017). Artist Tim O’Brien won a Grammy (2006) for Traditional Folk Album “Fiddler’s Green.” The title track was co-written by Pete and Leroy Drumm.

Pete released four albums, Tennessee 1949 (with Bill Emerson – 1987), Dixie in My Eye (with Bill Emerson - 1989), When I’m Knee Deep in Blue Grass (2005) and Back to Jubilee Road (with Andy Ball - 2013).

Pete is survived by his wife, Beulah, and his children. May he rest in peace.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jane Martin For This Useful Post:

I'm sorry for your loss Jane.

Anyone looking for information about the songs Pete wrote you can click here.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

6. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post: