Thread: Am I going about practicing properly?

Default Am I going about practicing properly?

I've played acoustic guitar for 35 some odd years. I studied music theory and remember enough that when I read something it comes back (and probably leaves) pretty quickly. I have no trouble site reading musical notation or tabs.

I've fooled around on the mandolin only playing a few two finger open chords.

I’ve been playing my mandolin more seriously lately. I switch off between spending some time with manolassons.com (playing along with some of the songs but not rushing it) and playing some ‘studies’ from pentatonic scales book. There are about six exercises for each scale that I’m practicing focusing on tone as well as accuracy. I figure I’ll bring speed in last. I also ‘strum’ some guitar tune favorites and am playing three-finger chords, hoping that as I’m able to play & switch to/from these with accuracy, speed, and without pain I can move to four finger chords.

Does this sound like a proper way to go at this? Any suggestions or pitfalls to avoid?

Thanks in advance!

And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: Am I going about practicing properly?

Sounds to me as good as any at this point. Typically, your practice habits will change with time as everything else changes with time.

I think the most important consideration is to practice in order to learn to do the things you want to do and sound the way you want to sound. Technique and Tone. There are many trails to explore on your way.

Another important thing to me is to stretch. Don't be afraid to try musical pieces that seem far above your ability. Stretch yourself, find your weak spots, and work on them.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

3. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Tenzin 

Also being a lifelong guitar player taking up mandolin (and I can sight read), I found that using the same Bluegrass Fakebook that I had used learning songs on guitar works great for learning some basics on mando. Just play the melody of a familiar song and you'll begin to learn some things about the mandolin and how to improvise. Since you will already know how to read the notes, it will help you learn where the notes and chords are on the mando.
    "All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain

Eastman MD615SB
    Martin D35
    Gibson SG

5. The following members say thank you to Mando Mort for this post:

Tenzin 

Blog Entries

Think about what you would like to learn better and try and have some small piece of it as a goal when you sit down to practice.

For me, practice time without any plan often leads to noodling and more noodling.

7. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Tenzin 

Thanks for letting me throw out my plan. I don't really play a lot of 'straight out' melodies on the guitar-- I kind of try and embellish the chords. (I think this is pretty common once you know the chords, barre chords, and can switch without looking or thinking.)

I'm interested in building that muscle memory and to, eventually, be able to add the embellishments to songs I strum. I'd also like to be able to play melodies alone and played with the chords for blue grass and classical.

I'm not going to be David Grisman or Chris Thile. I'm just playing by myself looking to have some fun.

Thanks everyone! The next round is on me!

And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.

If you are making progress, and are happy with the progress, then I'd say you are practicing properly.