Thread: Opportunity to buy an OM

Default Opportunity to buy an OM

I have the opportunity to purchase a PW Crump OM-III, and I have a few questions.

I currently have a Trinity College. The OM-III seems to have a really deep body, over and 1 1/5 deeper at the tail. Is the OM-III more made for accompaniment, or for people more used to guitar? How will it do with melody playing?

What would a fair price be for a 17 year old OM-III in great shape?

Anyone know the string gauges that Phil Crump recommends? I currently have Thomastik mandola flatwounds on my Trinity college, and I really want the flatwound feel for this instrument. Is my only option custom hand made flatwounds for the 22.75" scale? I forget the person who does custom flatwounds, was it emado.com?

Thanks!
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

Default Re: Opportunity to buy an OM

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Leonard View Post
    Anyone know the string gauges that Phil Crump recommends? I currently have Thomastik mandola flatwounds on my Trinity college, and I really want the flatwound feel for this instrument. Is my only option custom hand made flatwounds for the 22.75" scale? I forget the person who does custom flatwounds, was it emado.com?
    One option would be putting together a custom set using flatwound guitar strings from D'Addario, Thomastik, etc. They would be long enough, and if the Crump has a loop-end tailpiece, you can just remove the ball from the ends.

Looking at the juststrings.com site, it seems Thomastik doesn't make guitar flatwounds exactly like the mandolin series, but you could try either the flatwound bronze acoustic or flatwound nickel electric series. I had an acoustic-electric mandola at one time, with a humbucker pickup and a ball-end tailpiece. I used those Thomastik guitar nickel flatwounds as a custom set, and it sounded good.

Picked it up, my uncle in law had a friend who passed away. He was asked by his widow to help sell off his many pieces of musical gear, and I was lucky to be able to purchase this beautiful PW Crump OM III
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20180804_17_31_18_Pro.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	861.4 KB 
ID:	170004  
    P.W. Crump OM-III

4. The following members say thank you to Gary Leonard for this post:

Seter 

I also checked the case, and there were several packages of strings, including a couple sets of banjo strings. I am afraid to keep the banjo strings in the house, in case a stray banjo decides to come in and cozy up with them.
    P.W. Crump OM-III

6. The following members say thank you to Gary Leonard for this post:

When I bought a used Crump bouzouki, I emailed Phil to ask about strings and got a friendly and informative response.
    Steve

Phil makes some great instruments, and you won't regret getting a hold of one. Quite a major step up from your Trinity, and you should see your skill level grow accordingly.

Phil says this apparently is the 1st OM III he built.

I spent a bunch of time looking around, and stumbled upon Ted's jazzMando articles on D'addario chrome XL electric guitar flatwounds. I ordered a few of each singles in a gauge similar to the J80 octave mandolin set Phil recommended. Thanks to Ted, else I still would have been looking around for a solution to this dilemma!
    Last edited by Gary Leonard; Aug-05-2018 at 10:33pm.
    P.W. Crump OM-III