Thread: Gibson EM150 value?

Default Gibson EM150 value?

Hi everyone.
    Having a hard time dating and valuing an EM150. I've searched far and wide but my internet sleuthing skills must be worse than I imagined.

I got this mandolin a few years ago from a friend, for free mind you! As far as I could see the serial number (34189) dates it to 1965, and the value is around $1800, based on a '65 that was sold online a few years ago 1450 Euros.

But I'll appreciate input from any experts out there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3047.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	534.2 KB 
ID:	169630   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3050.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	489.5 KB 
ID:	169631   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3059.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	497.1 KB 
ID:	169632  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3051.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	491.3 KB 
ID:	169633  

Default Re: Gibson EM150 value?

Reverb.com has them all over the board, from $1000 to $3000. Your's is a nice looking example. I'd probably invest in a better case if I was going to get it out and about.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

3. The following members say thank you to F-2 Dave for this post:

dc1977 

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

That seems to be an extremely clean, all original specimen, with what might be OHSC but at least appears to be period-correct. Offer a cheaper new case for an extra $100 if you have to, but folks will want that original. I'd price it to set the bar if you haven't seen a nicer looking comp.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

5. The following members say thank you to Dave Greenspoon for this post:

dc1977 

If your serial no. is correct above it is a 1961. And from what I see in the photos, I can see at least 3 things that lean towards it being a 1961 and not a 1965. That being said, it does add a tad bit to it, so I would say between $1600 and $2200. Nice looking EM150 and those P90's offer killer electric sound. yes, original case there also in good shape. Not many miles on this one.

super clean!
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

8. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

dc1977 

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    If your serial no. is correct above it is a 1961. And from what I see in the photos, I can see at least 3 things that lean towards it being a 1961 and not a 1965. That being said, it does add a tad bit to it, so I would say between $1600 and $2200. Nice looking EM150 and those P90's offer killer electric sound. yes, original case there also in good shape. Not many miles on this one.
    Many thanks for the information. It's one of those "under the bed for decades" instruments. I just wish I knew where this bed was..

It deserves to be played though. I play guitar, love the sound of the mandolin, but my sausage fingers take strain on the small frets. I did plug it into my Laney Cub12 amp and those P90's came alive!

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dc1977 View Post
    Many thanks for the information. It's one of those "under the bed for decades" instruments. I just wish I knew where this bed was..

It deserves to be played though. I play guitar, love the sound of the mandolin, but my sausage fingers take strain on the small frets. I did plug it into my Laney Cub12 amp and those P90's came alive!
    Marketplaces are dynamic environments, and that instrument looks way cleaner than anything the interwebz are showing these days. If you are going to sell it beyond the Cafe, don't be afraid to be aggressive in your pricing. ;-)

Kudos on the Laney love. I've got an upgraded Cub 10, and even before the mods loved the tone from that little beast.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

11. The following members say thank you to Dave Greenspoon for this post:

dc1977