Thread: Kentucky KM-250S

Default Kentucky KM-250S

there is one for sale not to far from me for $275.00 with a gig bag & it looks to have a solid tail piece on it. is that a good deal & how good are they.

Default Re: Kentucky KM-250S

It’s really hard to tell just from what information you have. That model went through a lot of changes through the years. In the 1990s they were Korean made and had a solid spruce top with laminated back and sides. When production moved to China they became all solid woods. Sometime around 2006 or 2007 they dropped the “s” so that one would be one of the older models. In the early 2000s they cost 250 dollars more or less, so seller is trying to get all their money back and then some. Negotiation would seem to be appropriate here. You could get it for less. The solid cast tailpiece would not have been standard, it would have been an add on. It was common for those to be hot rodded with upgraded bridges, nuts,and tuners, so maybe if a cast tailpiece was put on, other work may have also been done. If I were you, I would try to determine whether the body is laminate (which I would stay away from) or solid, ascertain the condition, find out if any work had been done, and of course play it! If you like it, I absolutely would try to get that price down. If it were quite nice I might be a buyer at 200. YMMV. Good luck!
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

sorry the price is $175.00. hit the wrong #.

I believe the "s" suffix indicated a solid top; the all-laminated were just KM-250. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't see how you'd go wrong for $175, even if it were laminated.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Allen, I THINK the 250s made in the ninety’s in Korea had solid top, laminated back and sides, then when they went to China in the early 2000’s they kept the same model designation but went to all solid, then at some point in the mid 2000’s they dropped the s and were just KM-250, all solid.

Now, I invite anyone to correct ME if I am wrong. This is the way I remember it. But I wouldn’t bet my life on it!
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

6. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

I am going to have to call this guy up & ask him to look inside the mandolin & tell me were its made. I wanted to see it today but he was going to work in the Hamptons Long Island, & he gets home around 5 or 6 pm. he lives in Port Jefferson & I live in Eastern Queens. the traffic at that time is real bad both ways, east & west bound.

so it goes like this, the seller sent me 2 pictures of the label & he is right. you can't read the serial #, but it is made in China. so is that a good thing ?. does that make it a solid wood mandolin,

I have an older KM-250 made in China. It is all solid wood and absolutely worth $175. I had a great luthier set it up and change the string spacing a bit, and it plays very well. It is LOUD and has pretty good tone. Do not expect anything other than a serviceable, decent instrument, though. It probably won't compare well with a higher-end Kentucky or a small-shop instrument. But it should score pretty high in bang for the buck.

I THINK it’s all solid but not completely sure. Robert Fear would be the one who would be the best source for that information. Robert, are you following this? Please chime in!

If you look on the outside of the back, look for some feature in the wood, a dark spot or streak or something like that, then look in the f hole. If you can find the same feature “imprinted” through to the inside surface, then it’s solid. You can’t always find those, but if you can, it’s a good indicator.

Hard to go wrong with a good condition Kentucky for that price. If it’s lamibate, it’s a fair price. If solid, it crosses over the line to good buy/bargain.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I am going to see him Saturday & try & get it for $150.00. wish me good look.

Good LOOK and good LUCK!
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

13. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Any KM-250s from China would be all solid. In general, the later the better as far as the year. Even in the early China years, these were the best mandolins at the price point. Nothing wrong with the early Chinese versions, they just got better as time went on. If you cannot figure out the year from the serial, the finish, inlay, fingerboard extension, tuners, tailpiece, and bridge can be used to date it.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Robert or anyone else , the serial # looks to be written in ink or marker ? very bold. I found pictures of 150s, so I know what they look like & it is not a 150s. what does the head stock & the finger board look like on theses mandolins from China.

So, first thing is that in the distant past these were brown and not sunburst.
    ha, look what I still have!

This one is 2007+
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	km-250-2-f.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	169700

I am not sure exactly what year this is, mid-2000's I imagine. It is Chinese.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KM-250S-F.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	169701

There should have been at least one previous Chinese version to this one (also brown). Note, this has ebony fittings and a metal strap button. THere is also no fingerboard extension.
    Robert Fear

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

the lower one is it Robert, brown finish & no finger board extension. but it looks to have a solid tailpiece & a pearl truss rod cover, is that possible ?.

Blog Entries

Those would have been 'Hot Rod' add-ons, Tony.... people often did that. For $150 (provided it has no faults) I can't think you'd go wrong... great 'campfire' or travelling mando!
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

I would agree with Almeria. THose would have been upgrades that were added.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

went to look at it, sad to say it was junk. label was coming up & the writing on it just did not look right to me & it had a crack by one of the f holes . must have lived a very sad life of abuse.

Too bad Tony. If you like the model, a nice example if you can find one would still be a good value. They do turn up with some regularity. Watch our Classifieds, Reverb, and used Guitar Center sites.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

don't really need it, but if one comes by at the right price I will grab it.