Thread: Low Tension strings (B + E) for vintage tenor acoustic

Default Low Tension strings (B + E) for vintage tenor acoustic

strings for chicago style tuning (Dgbe). Low tension for a vintage tenor. Looking to really have some easy loose pickin going on.

Main thing is, most guitar string sets include two plain steel strings. I dont want that, I dont want half my strings to be "normal" Whats the point. I need them all to be low tension. So I cant just buy say a martin silk n steel guitar string set, because 50% of my strings will just be of regular tension... I need advice on where to find some good quality low tension strings for my B and E strings on my tenor guitar. Thanks guys

Default Re: Low Tension strings (B + E) for vintage tenor acoustic

Are you saying you want them all wound?

This doesn't directly answer your question but may be helpful

http://rycooder.nl/pages/tenor_gauges.htm

My tenor guitar has a floating bridge and mandolin tailpiece, so I buy tenor banjo strings. These come in heavy, medium and light gauges. You can save the ball ends from your old strings and fit them to the loops on the tenor banjo strings using long-nosed pliers.

But your top strings (B and E) will inevitably be plain, not wound. Getting a wound string up to the tension needed for that top E would make it stiff as a girder, if it could even take the tension.

Low tension = thinner strings. Wound or plain makes no difference per se (though you need wound strings for the lower notes because plain strings would be too stiff to play). Simply, what you need are lower gauges than you currently use.

My 22" scale tenor is strung with mediums, .011", .014", .022"W, .028"W.

Light gauge from the same supplier is .010", .013", .020"W, .026"W.

Compare these to your current gauges, which if you use a normal full guitar set might well be heavier. For example, D'Addario Mediums are Plain Steel .013, .017, Phosphor Bronze Wound .026, .035.

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

You don’t say anything about scale length but you won’t be able to use an all wound set on a standard tenor guitar but you can buy single guitar strings to make your own sets.
    The nearest you will get is to an all wound set would be .11 plain @ 16lb .16 wound @ 19lb .18 wound @ 17lb .26 wound @ 16lb
    A better match would be 12p 16w 20w .28w all around 19lb per string.
    Most 23” scale tenors work very well with 20lb per string.
    If you want even softer strings then nylon might work but it depends on the guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by fox View Post
    You don’t say anything about scale length but you won’t be able to use an all wound set on a standard tenor guitar but you can buy single guitar strings to make your own sets.
    The nearest you will get is to an all wound set would be .11 plain @ 16lb .16 wound @ 19lb .18 wound @ 17lb .26 wound @ 16lb
    A better match would be 12p 16w 20w .28w all around 19lb per string.
    Most 23” scale tenors work very well with 20lb per string.
    If you want even softer strings then nylon might work but it depends on the guitar.
    I guess what im really asking here, is are there strings that are "plain steel" or "stainless steel" or whatever may be used in those last two spots, that are actually manufactured to be lower tension. like purposefully made that way.

because heres another issue besides tension problems. I'd like to use SILK AND STEEL for my D and G strings. If I use silk and steel for half my strings and plain steel for the other half, my two highest registered strings are going to be A LOT brighter than my other two strings, essentially making the guitar sound "off" or very tinny, and weird. I do not want that. i'd really like each string to be lower tension and mellow. so what im really asking here, is

What strings can I apply as B + E strings to a chicago tuned Tenor guitar that are lower tension in their CORE, and mellow sounding

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

It would help if we New what silk and nylon strings you intend to use, they are not a product I am familiar with.
    I guess you can buy complete sets of six strings, what are the EB stings made of in a set six string set?
    You still need a certain amount of tension for the guitar to work well, what guitar do you have and what is the scale length.
    Really low tension string might need wider spacing and different intonation set up.
    Generally speaking tenors use around 20lb per string although modern tenor guitars can handle 90lb+ total tension.
    Classical guitars tend to use 14-18lb tension per string.
    Depending on the guitar and scale length it should be quite easy to work our low tension string sets.

I have a solid recommendation for you. Thomastik-Infeld Classic S Series KF110. These are very unique steel strings designed for use on Classical Guitars and quite low tension. They are the most beautiful strings I have ever used. Flat nickel wound on mild steel core and polished on all the strings you will use for DGBe tuning. I use these on my Pono UL4-20 and on a custom tenor I built for myself. They are expensive at 6 bucks each, but they seem to just keep singing for a long time. My Pono is a 21.5 inch scale and the custom tenor is built on the short 20.125" scale. If you have a 23" scale the tension will be a bit more but still should be acceptable. Use the following strings for the best results:
    e string=KF14
    b string=KF18
    g string=KF24
    d string=KF31

Here is a link to take you shopping:

https://www.stringsbymail.com/classi...-87/kf110-441/

Best regards,

Tom